Page 599 of 668 FirstFirst ... 99499549589595596597598599600601602603609649 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 8,985 of 10009

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    same here....that probably took away a healthy chunk of support
    What votes is he going to lose that is not already going to vote for the other side?
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Exactly my thought...how many anti-gay marriage Obama supporters does he think are out there?
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    I don't think adjusting for inflation would make a huge difference. Data isn't available for that in any case.

But here's the graph rebased to 2002 which gives a better picture of what happened.

It is available. It's just a pain to get.

In Italy, inflation has gone so that $1000 in 2002 would be worth $1220 in 2010. (I couldn't find 2011.) Meanwhile, their population went up from about 57 million to 60 million, which is about a 5% increase in population. Their spending went slightly above the inflation rate, but amounts to about a 4% cut per capita.

In the UK, it would've been $1000 in 2003 getting $1289 in 2012, well behind effective $1680 that it looks like on that chart. But starting in 2008 when the economy started to really turn south, that $1600 in 2008 would've needed to hit $1827 in 2011. That's nearly a 10% cut although it doesn't factor in any population growth or loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Exactly my thought...how many anti-gay marriage Obama supporters does he think are out there?
    Oddly, back when Ohio voted for their version of the DoMA, it was pretty easy to show mathematically that there had to be people who voted for Democratic candidates and the DoMA. The difference in margins was substantial.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

And, as someone suggested earlier re the California version, certain groups that would be likely to vote Obama might also have anti-gay mindsets. I wouldn't know one way or the other in that particular case, just posing conjecture.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

The implication seems to be that Obama is not politically astute enough that he issued the statement without thinking about how it would effect the election and particularly swing states. I find that implication incredibly naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    The implication seems to be that Obama is not politically astute enough that he issued the statement without thinking about how it would effect the election and particularly swing states. I find that implication incredibly naive.
    I'm pretty sure he knows the implications and it could cost him swing states like North Carolina (home of the Democratic National Convention even). But the fence was getting too uncomfortable.

It might also distract Romney from crowing about how he saved the auto industry and would be creating 500,000 jobs a month. If so, we might wind up seeing the Democrats using gay marriage as a distraction issue from politics or war.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    And, as someone suggested earlier re the California version, certain groups that would be likely to vote Obama might also have anti-gay mindsets. I wouldn't know one way or the other in that particular case, just posing conjecture.
    DO have

the black and latino communities are notoriously anti gay anything...period

they tolerate it, thats really about it
    Support your local roller derby league

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

You know something big happened in LGBT rights politics when my ex in Atlanta leaves a message on my answering machine.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

same here....that probably took away a healthy chunk of support
    Given what he's up against, I imagine the President feels bulletproof at this point.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

This was a game changer. Not really sure how this will play out. It's definitly a decisive enough issue where it could cost him votes. If you support gay marriage and you were going to vote Republican before this I don't see that changing much becuase you already know what your getting with that party. But Democrats who oppose it might turn on Obama. Especially if Romney makes this a election a gay marriage thing. It considerably helped Bush agianst Kerry in 2004. Also just looking at headlines, this really hurt any plays Obama may have by calling Romney a flip flopper when he just did it in spectacular fashion. They are going to grill him on this. If don't see how he gains any votes from this. It's kind of puzzling to me. If gay rights were a primary issue for you then you were already voting Obama. Maybe he was worried that that base was getting apathetic towars him. Gonna be an interesting next few days.

DO have

the black and latino communities are notoriously anti gay anything...period

they tolerate it, thats really about it
    Prop 8 was largely passed because those groups came out for Obama. If California ever went into play...

People that weren't gonna vote for Homobama are gonna vote for him even less now, ZOMG!
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    People that weren't gonna vote for Homobama are gonna vote for him even less now, ZOMG!
    He definitly has (or had) voters that were agianst gay marriage. He's losing something. How significant it is time will tell.