Page 504 of 668 FirstFirst ... 4404454494500501502503504505506507508514554604 ... LastLast
Results 7,546 to 7,560 of 10009

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    I'm less concerned about whether you think Arabs alleged lack of a culture of peace and understanding is innate or inculcated than the fact that you're asserting this lack with liytle or no valid supporting evidence.

(For example, that inter-war culture of peace in Europe ony works if you ignore the Ango-Irish War; the Irish Civil War; various English and French colonial wars (including wars fought to establish Euroepan rule in the middle east because, you know, the Arabs were obviously incapable of governing themselves), the Russo-Polish War; Italy's wars in Libya and Abyssinia; Holland's war in Aceh; the Russo-Polish War; the Spanish civil War; Greco-turkish War and assorted coups and putsches in most of eastern Europe.

Sound less like a culture of peace and more like a culture of only picking on those weaker than you.
    See, I don't remember ever saying that the violent history of the Middle East is completely their fault. I actually DO remember stating something about the Crusades, and the centuries of violence that were brought on my European, specifically the Catholic Church, interference. Many of the problems that exist there, and have existed there in the past, are due to outside influences. To my knowledge, I never suggested otherwise. You made that conclusion up all on your own.

Yeah, it's just one of those things "everybody knows" like Jews being tight with money; or Blacks being stupid or Asian women having sideways vaginas.
    What a stupid thing to say.

link

So is this:

a. proof that Americans are abnormally violent people or

b. one individual who cracked under incredible pressure and committed a terrible act?

Now imagine instead it's an Afghan who killed 15 Americans.

Same two options.
    I think we all know the answer to this question. The fact that you are making such a big deal out of something no one has even suggested makes me wonder.

And just so we are clear, violence is inherent in human beings. No racial or ethnic group has any more of that in them than any other group. I don't think any one here has claimed otherwise, so what is your problem?

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post

What a stupid thing to say.

That was his point.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    What Ian tried to make you see unsuccessfully is that there is already an inherent racism in that, as other parts of the world, including Europe, have been at least as bad and you don't have to go back that long for it.
    I saw it, I just didn't want to be accused of being a racist when it was not my intent....I think the region and its people have to strike a balance between their faith and human rights....the fundamentalists are the main issue there IMO....you're not going to get very far beating people over the head with the Quran....or the Bible
    Support your local roller derby league

What Ian tried to make you see unsuccessfully is that there is already an inherent racism in that, as other parts of the world, including Europe, have been at least as bad and you don't have to go back that long for it.
    I think some people like to try and find racism where there isn't any.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Seems slightly less like a political revolt than a tribal conflict. To me at least.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

US soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/11/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

BANNED

Oh jeez. ...All the more reason to leave the country. That's insane.

Oh, joy. Another "I do not condone this but how dare you criticize the military when they cock something up royally" discussion.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

BANNED

The life long story of the community board.

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post
    Seems slightly less like a political revolt than a tribal conflict. To me at least.
    The Bahrain protests have been focusing since day one on politics in all their rhetoric, not the Sunni/Shia divide (and they weren't all Shia's). Things are getting more sectarian now, but that's a result of the regime and the Saudis doing a crackdown and scaremongering about Iran.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I think he made a good point of proving there was prejudice in the statement.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    US soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/11/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Reuters has been saying more than one soldier was involved.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Sorry, I misread your intent.
    No worries. It happens.

I think he made a good point of proving there was prejudice in the statement.
    He made a counter point to a point no one else was making, so whatever. I take it personally when some one attempts to put words in my mouth, especially something like that. Nothing anyone said was racially motivated, and it was inferred by him and apparently by you. That's your problem for making incorrect inferences, but don't try and make me out to be the asshole of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Reuters has been saying more than one soldier was involved.
    yeah I'm sure more detaisl will be revealed soon. this is just so disturbing though. What's worse is I suspect this might not be the first incident