Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Locked & Loaded: Gray & Costa on the DCU Relaunch

CBR News connected with Justin Gray and Mike Costa for a candid conversation where the two men shared their thoughts on everything from DC Comics' relaunch as a whole to which titles they consider must-buys

Full article here.

Thumbs up

Good interview. Im interested in both of these books. Im not 100% on them but im interested in both.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

Costa just hooked me and Lashley' art seems just stunning..Too bad the cover doesn't reflect that, because I'd had pay attention earlier.Dunno there's something in the character design sketch showed above that reminds me Carmine Infantino and Paul Gillon at their best; now I'll take a closer look..
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

This is a good interview, and I enjoyed it. But it didn't offer up much information. I'm particularly interested in Blackhawks. What are the team members NAMES? Will they be the same characters, updated, as in the old Blackhawks? Will they be their descendants? Will they still be flyboys (and -women)? Beyond the vague idea of finding trouble and stopping it, what will the stories, particularly the first story, be? Will there be any recurring bad guys?

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

(Arkham teaming with Hex : 'nuff said..)
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

That Blackhawk art catches my attention...

I'm down for Blackhawks with Costa at the helm
    Stormwatch - A New Era has begun
    Stormwatch on FaceBook

No interest in Jonah Hex. Glad they are publishing that book, and what is more I'm glad they're giving it a top notch artist like Moritat. Book deserves every chance to succeed.

I was already interested in "Blackhawks" based solely on the strength of Mike Costa's "Hawksmoor" mini series for Wildstorm. I know he's gained a lot of fame and praise for his GI Joe stuff but, again, no real interest in those books; Hawksmoor, though, was brilliant, brilliant noir science fiction.

Whats more, though, is that his central concept for the book is I think a strong one, or at least one that appeals to me greatly. I LOVE Super Science. I just do. I love all of DC's geniuses and super scientific set pieces like Cadmus. I hope we see a few of those guys wandering about, but the fact that this is the central conceit of the book - that futurism is what we're looking at - gives me great hope.

And much as I'm looking forward to Mr. Terrific just based on the concept, if Wallace disappoints me on that book, I'd love to see Costa take it over, because I know he's got the chops for a compelling, emotionally reach solo story with tons of sci fi cosmic action. Which is just what Mr. Terrific needs, IMHO.

Or, I'd like to see him on a Steel book. And I know he's a big fan of Booster Gold, so I wouldn't mind him taking over JLI from the invariably bland Mr. Jurgens.

Anyway, rambling...To summarize, I started off excited about Costa being brought into DC in any capacity. He's exactly the type of new talent DC needs, along with Fialkov (Brilliant, tense, Elk's run), Edmonson, Ivan Brandon, Higgins and others. But I ended the interview excited about the concept, to, which is nice.

Lashley has never appealed to me. What's more, I can say with almost 100% surety that he wont' be on this book for more than 3 or 4 issues consecutively.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I love the quote about comics were good when you were 12. Its so true.

Procrastinator Supreme Pablo da Diablo's Avatar

i really hope that's Zinda in lashley's sketch
    "Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness." - Capt. Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End

http://pablodadiablo.deviantart.com/

Was getting Blackhawks since Costa has rocked G.I. Joe: Cobra with military noir, All-Star Western is still a maybe

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Was getting Blackhawks since Costa has rocked G.I. Joe: Cobra with military noir, All-Star Western is still a maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Striker View Post
    I'm down for Blackhawks with Costa at the helm
    Yeah I've only heard good things about Costa...

Quote Originally Posted by ian33407 View Post
    Costa just hooked me and Lashley' art seems just stunning...
    Quote Originally Posted by krammocon View Post
    That Blackhawk art catches my attention...
    ...and what limited Lashley exposure I've had, I enjoyed.

Put those two together and I'm definitely giving this one a shot.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I highly recommend the Secret History of the Authority: Hawksmoor and GI Joe: Cobra and his new series Cobra. I havenít gotten around to checking out his Transformers run
    Stormwatch - A New Era has begun
    Stormwatch on FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Striker View Post
    I highly recommend the Secret History of the Authority: Hawksmoor and GI Joe: Cobra and his new series Cobra. I havenít gotten around to checking out his Transformers run
    It starts of slow but once he gets his groove it picks up

Sounds cool. Gonna try.