Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,010

    Default CBR: "City of Heroes" Soon to be Free-to-Play

    NCSoft has announced plans to convert its popular comic book-style MMORPG "City of Heroes" from a pay to a free-to-play model in late 2011.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Potential Incarnate Byzantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Attilan
    Posts
    881

    Default

    Looks a lot like the "free" model for Champions Online, which basically has one ask, "why bother?", because the free play isn't fun, it's entirely restrictive, and completely pointless. If you're going to play, you might as well keep paying and continue business as normal.
    Every man is guilty of the good he did not do.

  3. #3
    Cat smells like fish StoneGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Looks a lot like the "free" model for Champions Online, which basically has one ask, "why bother?", because the free play isn't fun, it's entirely restrictive, and completely pointless. If you're going to play, you might as well keep paying and continue business as normal.
    My guess, because subscriptions are down, and it's a way to try and pump more monetization into the game.

    For that matter, there are a tone of other freemium models to follow. Although that said, never got into the game.
    The Punisher: I’m going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants™ Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and you’ll die screaming! And I’ll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

    Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

    In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

    Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

  4. #4
    New Member Jake Challenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Looks a lot like the "free" model for Champions Online, which basically has one ask, "why bother?", because the free play isn't fun, it's entirely restrictive, and completely pointless. If you're going to play, you might as well keep paying and continue business as normal.
    For no cost you get access to two character slots. You have eight archetypes to choose from. You can take your two characters to the game's max level.

    I pay to play City of Heroes and I think this is a pretty good deal. I will keep paying my subscription, but this is a great way for someone to play for free.
    Last edited by Jake Challenger; 06-23-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: edited for typo

  5. #5
    MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    14,261

    Default

    I know that she is made of smoke
    But I've lost my way
    She knows that I am broke
    So that I must play...
    Temptation, temptation, temptation
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  6. #6
    Ruby Quartz Club Band Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    6,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Looks a lot like the "free" model for Champions Online, which basically has one ask, "why bother?", because the free play isn't fun, it's entirely restrictive, and completely pointless. If you're going to play, you might as well keep paying and continue business as normal.
    As someone who's played both, I can honestly tell you that COH is the superior product. The morality choice model goes a long way towards the roleplaying aspect of the game, and I suppose due to its age, the game definitely has a lot more variety of powers than Champions Online. The devs also took a cue from WoW and vastly increased their endgame content, so now there's a whole bunch of veterans returning to their old characters for a nice mix of new and old players.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

  7. #7
    Elder Member Wjowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,391

    Default

    It seems most MMOs want it both ways nowadays.

  8. #8
    Junior Member 116ekg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Everything about free-to-play CoH sounds amazing (I used to play a few years ago)...except for the fact that free players do not have access to the whisper or broadcast chat channels. Good luck getting on a solid team if you can't use the broadcast channel...

  9. #9
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    29,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    As someone who's played both, I can honestly tell you that COH is the superior product. The morality choice model goes a long way towards the roleplaying aspect of the game, and I suppose due to its age, the game definitely has a lot more variety of powers than Champions Online. The devs also took a cue from WoW and vastly increased their endgame content, so now there's a whole bunch of veterans returning to their old characters for a nice mix of new and old players.
    The funny thing about that is, Cryptic made CoH, sold it, then they made Champions.
    That company is ass though, CoH has been out long enough that they had time to move away from it, but everything else that company has done is just copy and paste quests, beyond generic stuff.

  10. #10
    Ruby Quartz Club Band Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    6,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The funny thing about that is, Cryptic made CoH, sold it, then they made Champions.
    That company is ass though, CoH has been out long enough that they had time to move away from it, but everything else that company has done is just copy and paste quests, beyond generic stuff.
    Right-o, I think COH just recently spent more time under NCSoft than they did under Cryptic -- that is, Cryptic gave COH about 10 issues, but now NCSoft is about to release its 11th issue (aka Issue 21, the free-to-play changeover).
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

  11. #11
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    29,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Right-o, I think COH just recently spent more time under NCSoft than they did under Cryptic -- that is, Cryptic gave COH about 10 issues, but now NCSoft is about to release its 11th issue (aka Issue 21, the free-to-play changeover).
    And oddly, NCSoft put that big push into Aion, which is an utterly terrible mmo in almost every aspect.
    Lag during the big fights, with 1/10th the population, is worse then it was in DAOC a decade ago.
    That and it seriously follows the Everquest model of mmo design, yknow, the model that died ages ago.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •