Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "City of Heroes" Soon to be Free-to-Play

NCSoft has announced plans to convert its popular comic book-style MMORPG "City of Heroes" from a pay to a free-to-play model in late 2011.

Full article here.

Looks a lot like the "free" model for Champions Online, which basically has one ask, "why bother?", because the free play isn't fun, it's entirely restrictive, and completely pointless. If you're going to play, you might as well keep paying and continue business as normal.
    Every man is guilty of the good he did not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Looks a lot like the "free" model for Champions Online, which basically has one ask, "why bother?", because the free play isn't fun, it's entirely restrictive, and completely pointless. If you're going to play, you might as well keep paying and continue business as normal.
    My guess, because subscriptions are down, and it's a way to try and pump more monetization into the game.

For that matter, there are a tone of other freemium models to follow. Although that said, never got into the game.
    The Punisher: I’m going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants™ Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and you’ll die screaming! And I’ll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

For no cost you get access to two character slots. You have eight archetypes to choose from. You can take your two characters to the game's max level.

I pay to play City of Heroes and I think this is a pretty good deal. I will keep paying my subscription, but this is a great way for someone to play for free.
    Last edited by Jake Challenger; 06-23-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: edited for typo

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

I know that she is made of smoke
    But I've lost my way
    She knows that I am broke
    So that I must play...
    Temptation, temptation, temptation
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

As someone who's played both, I can honestly tell you that COH is the superior product. The morality choice model goes a long way towards the roleplaying aspect of the game, and I suppose due to its age, the game definitely has a lot more variety of powers than Champions Online. The devs also took a cue from WoW and vastly increased their endgame content, so now there's a whole bunch of veterans returning to their old characters for a nice mix of new and old players.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

It seems most MMOs want it both ways nowadays.

Everything about free-to-play CoH sounds amazing (I used to play a few years ago)...except for the fact that free players do not have access to the whisper or broadcast chat channels. Good luck getting on a solid team if you can't use the broadcast channel...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    As someone who's played both, I can honestly tell you that COH is the superior product. The morality choice model goes a long way towards the roleplaying aspect of the game, and I suppose due to its age, the game definitely has a lot more variety of powers than Champions Online. The devs also took a cue from WoW and vastly increased their endgame content, so now there's a whole bunch of veterans returning to their old characters for a nice mix of new and old players.
    The funny thing about that is, Cryptic made CoH, sold it, then they made Champions.
    That company is ass though, CoH has been out long enough that they had time to move away from it, but everything else that company has done is just copy and paste quests, beyond generic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The funny thing about that is, Cryptic made CoH, sold it, then they made Champions.
    That company is ass though, CoH has been out long enough that they had time to move away from it, but everything else that company has done is just copy and paste quests, beyond generic stuff.
    Right-o, I think COH just recently spent more time under NCSoft than they did under Cryptic -- that is, Cryptic gave COH about 10 issues, but now NCSoft is about to release its 11th issue (aka Issue 21, the free-to-play changeover).
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Right-o, I think COH just recently spent more time under NCSoft than they did under Cryptic -- that is, Cryptic gave COH about 10 issues, but now NCSoft is about to release its 11th issue (aka Issue 21, the free-to-play changeover).
    And oddly, NCSoft put that big push into Aion, which is an utterly terrible mmo in almost every aspect.
    Lag during the big fights, with 1/10th the population, is worse then it was in DAOC a decade ago.
    That and it seriously follows the Everquest model of mmo design, yknow, the model that died ages ago.