Page 496 of 662 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546596 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 9919
    Formerly GarbageMan

Quote Originally Posted by regomar View Post
    Thank you for your replies re: introductions to the DC universe Deviates, TomSlick, ER Prest, Batman9 and LordJulius (think I got everyone :)

I have ordered Crisis on Infinite Earths, Identity Crisis, Kingdom Come, Justice, and the Infinite Crisis Omni to start me out. (I skipped Final Crisis this round because I heard that it is very obtuse and hard to understand) Im still considering the Flash omnibuses and Hawkman, but I have heard very bad things about their binding and make quality.
    Flash 2 and 3 are sewn, as well as Hawkman, but tight. Flash 1 is glued, but thinner, so it works out. I loved Final Crisis, it's one of these books you need to read multiple times, and have a lot of knowledge of DC, and be a fan of Morrison...The 52 omnibus great after Infinite Crisis, and the upcoming Teen Titans omnibus by Johns is also pretty great too, fairly important to Infinite Crisis as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Call some comic shops in your neigbourhood/state to see if they still have a copy. I'm sure you don't have to pay 230 bucks for a Batgirl tpb. That's ridiculous! Check eBay also and you could create a wishlist on mycomicshop.com or something. You'll get an e-mail when it's back in stock. Works for people all the time, but you have to be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    I know. You might be better off trying to find the back issues.
    Okay, thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Since LJ is listing the price in , I'm assuming it's over in Europe, and shipping costs to USA would cancel out the cheap deals :)
    Oh yeah... crap!

Thank you for your replies re: introductions to the DC universe Deviates, TomSlick, ER Prest, Batman9 and LordJulius (think I got everyone :)

I have ordered Crisis on Infinite Earths, Identity Crisis, Kingdom Come, Justice, and the Infinite Crisis Omni to start me out. (I skipped Final Crisis this round because I heard that it is very obtuse and hard to understand) Im still considering the Flash omnibuses and Hawkman, but I have heard very bad things about their binding and make quality.
    Quality books all around. Are they in Absolute (besides the omni)?
    I'd give Final Crisis a try after you feel well versed in the DCU, because it's definitely worth a read, regardless of whether or not you end up liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman9 View Post
    Dang. Who is this seller? I want to score some cheap books too
    Only ships within Germany. I offered Jlls to get the book for him since I know he's still looking for it, but he was too busy sleeping off his hangover to reply to my post

That's one hell of an order but also an awesome one. Did you get them all as Absolutes/Omnis? In any case you're in for quite a ride.

Hawkman is such a fun book, btw. Was a total blind buy for me, but I loved it. I've described it as "Indiana Jones with an anger management problem and a mallet" before. Very pulpy. And it's still readable, despite the mousetrap binding.

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    It's always fun to see a lot of books together, especially when it's from a Batman fan! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    What is this tpb rubbish doing in the HC thread, get this ruffian out of here.

Jokes Nice collection.
    Don't tase me bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    It's just that... well.. 230 USD for a TPB.
    Hot damn!! how did it get so rare/expensive so quickly?? I have it in my collection but had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman9 View Post
    Quality books all around. Are they in Absolute (besides the omni)?
    I'd give Final Crisis a try after you feel well versed in the DCU, because it's definitely worth a read, regardless of whether or not you end up liking it.
    The CoIE is absolute, the others I got as trades (other than the Infinite Crisis omni obviously). If I like the others enough, I'll likely trade up. It's hard for me to get Absolutes here in Canada. In the states they cost SO much less at places like CGN. I figure I might buy the absolute versions the next time I'm in the US and save myself a few hundred dollars, heh.
    Marvel cosmic needs Jim Starlin back. As long as he is prohibited from using the word 'myriad' ever again.

"Hold my Annihilus." - Johnny Storm, Captain of the Annihilation Wave Armada

The CoIE is absolute, the others I got as trades (other than the Infinite Crisis omni obviously). If I like the others enough, I'll likely trade up. It's hard for me to get Absolutes here in Canada. In the states they cost SO much less at places like CGN. I figure I might buy the absolute versions the next time I'm in the US and save myself a few hundred dollars, heh.
    Very nice! Prepare for a growing addiction to Absolutes and Omnibuses (unless you already have some), because your first Absolute is never your last. I hope you enjoy all of the books! If you have any other questions, just ask :)

Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

The bindings for Flash and Hawkman omnibus vary depending on how much of a binding person you are. The binding is a big issue for me so, although I loved Flash it was a pain to read. You really have to force back the pages and even then your are craning your neck around to be able to read the whole page.

But Flash is really good stuff so it's worth it. Another great place to start diving in is with Morrison's Batman (all in OHC now) and Snyder's New 52 Batman which is also very good. Morrison pulls a lot of stuff from older Batman material but I wasn't confused, well, not by his old Batman references at least.

[...] and the upcoming Teen Titans omnibus by Johns is also pretty great too, fairly important to Infinite Crisis as well.
    Anyone else upset that the Amazon price for that one hasn't ever gone below that 19% off?

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Anyone else upset that the Amazon price for that one hasn't ever gone below that 19% off?
    I know mine is locked in at $94.50, but then I placed the order already in August together with Sleeper, DaRoS and NTT3 omnibuses. Not sure yet if I'll get them all through amazon yet, but so far for GJ TT it's the best deal I can find, even if I have to pay import taxes. I might decide to go with BD after all. They pack big omnibuses in very sturdy bubble wrap. Nuke proof really.

Formerly GarbageMan

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    The bindings for Flash and Hawkman omnibus vary depending on how much of a binding person you are. The binding is a big issue for me so, although I loved Flash it was a pain to read. You really have to force back the pages and even then your are craning your neck around to be able to read the whole page.

But Flash is really good stuff so it's worth it. Another great place to start diving in is with Morrison's Batman (all in OHC now) and Snyder's New 52 Batman which is also very good. Morrison pulls a lot of stuff from older Batman material but I wasn't confused, well, not by his old Batman references at least.
    I think you're exaggerating a bit Cap, you really don't have to "force" the pages, merely hold them, and I never craned my neck to read any of the Flashes or the NTT books.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    I'm in the states, so not really....

Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

I think you're exaggerating a bit Cap, you really don't have to "force" the pages, merely hold them, and I never craned my neck to read any of the Flashes or the NTT books.

I'm in the states, so not really....
    You absolutely have to force it. The book does not open all the way by simply opening with no pressure. If you want to see the FULL page, you have to force the pages back or else you miss the content close to the spine of the pages collapse back in.

I just grabbed a random video online, first one I found, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_Xi1fovQ0. Note that in order to keep the pages flat she is pressing down on them forcing them open all the way. Check the video at 2:29, you can even see how hard she has to press to keep the page flat.

Compare that to any video of any sewn omnibus and the difference between forcing and not forcing is apparent.

I know that the IC omnibus is most likely an improvement, but you don't really have to force that much either. Maybe for the first 75-100 pages. Not perfect, but not terrible either. And there's certainly no gutter loss or craning of the neck.

Flash 2 and 3 are sewn, as well as Hawkman, but tight. Flash 1 is glued, but thinner, so it works out. I loved Final Crisis, it's one of these books you need to read multiple times, and have a lot of knowledge of DC, and be a fan of Morrison...The 52 omnibus great after Infinite Crisis, and the upcoming Teen Titans omnibus by Johns is also pretty great too, fairly important to Infinite Crisis as well.
    Are you sure Flash 2 is sewn? I thought the first of the sewn books was Teen Titans 2...