Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Jun 20, 2011

As we close in on the halfway point for 2011, Tim looks back on the best comics of the year (so far), and identifies ten that stand out, including "iZombie," "Nonplayer," "Superboy," and "Scalped."

Full article here.

Interesting that you mentioned Superboy. It's a great book but not a lot of people are talking about it.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Green Lantern, GLC, GL: New Guardians, Justice League, The Flash, Batman Inc, Batman, Nightwing, Batman & Robin, Dial H, Animal Man, Frankenstien, Earth-2

Oh, Tim

Batman Inc. #4 is one of the best single issues ever!

You must reevaluate.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Quote Originally Posted by bongoes View Post
    Interesting that you mentioned Superboy. It's a great book but not a lot of people are talking about it.
    I fully agree, which makes it all the more of a damn shame that what has been built up in the series so far is apparently going to be cast aside for the relaunch in September. I'm going to stick with the current incarnation to the very end--no sense stopping now, when I already have virtually every other published appearance of Connor/Kon-El in my collection--and I fervently hope that a decent resolution to the series' existing plotlines can be achieved in the few issues remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyforth View Post
    ... I already have virtually every other published appearance of Connor/Kon-El in my collection...
    Even 'Superboy and the Ravers'?

I'm feeling pretty good about myself for reading 7 of the 10 listed and can't agree more about the excellence of 'Xombi'. I would've put 'Batman Inc.' higher and have found a place for the first 6 issues of 'T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents' and 'Secret Six'. YMMV.

Sadly, the relaunch is killing all my favourite DC books, 'Batgirl' included, but some of the incoming titles, like 'Swamp Thing' and 'Animal Man', look like top shelf material. Hope springs eternal.
    Who wants to save the world? That's what misers do...

"Xombi" is my new favorite series and what I consider the best series on the shelf today. I sure hope it returns after the the DC Big Bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    "Xombi" is my new favorite series and what I consider the best series on the shelf today. I sure hope it returns after the the DC Big Bang.
    I'm also loving this comic !!! Great to see it at the number 1 spot too

Nice column.

I'll go back and revisit the Deadpool Max and Xombi on your recommendation, and I'm definitely going to check out your webcomic suggestions.

Can't say I'm with you on the Batman titles or iZombie. iZombie I would love to love, but it's all style and no substance for me. Superboy was fine, but after Essex County and Sweet Tooth, it just feels like a pale imitation of the original. For me, Non Player wins the "comic most in need of a writer" award. That's harsh, I know, but there's no story there. Absolutely stunning backgrounds though.

I would also add things like: Kody Chamberlain's Sweets, Templesmith and McCool's Choker, Shanhower & Young's Ozma, Edmondson's Who Is Jake Ellis, Chester Brown's Pay For It, Wood's Northlanders, Bunn & Kindt's The Tooth, Bunn & Hurtt's Sixth Gun, Bendis and Maleev's Scarlet, and Jeff Smith's Rasl, though some of those have only had an issue or two this year, and The Tooth and Pay For It are stand alone graphic novels.

Cool

I've been broke as a joke and yearn for XOMBI #s 2 & 3.

A few months ago, I looked high & low for XOMBI #1 and finally found it after looking in 5 LCS.
    I live in Somerville, MA 02145. We're blessed with a bounty of FunnyBook Bodegas and that one was a tough one to nail.
    I'm looking forward to as many new XOMBI get produced for I will get them all...in a few weeks after I catch up on bills & life, et al. The Paper People take a backseat to groceries.

I love Fraser Irving's art and John Rozum's dialog is just fun. I grew up Irish-Catholic in South Boston and I love every Catholic reference and pun. The cleverness of the copy is as special as the artwork. Irving got back-to-back splash pages showing motion of time through the non-changing background of the kitchen & living room. The contrails of smoke billowing from the friend's cigarette.
    And it's very macabre! It sates my X-Files/Twilight Zone bone. A bit of the newer Doctor Who as well.

So I look forward to this magazine more than most others out there on the shelves I usually support. And with the apparent demise of this title? Maybe we should have a write-in to see if we can have XOMBI continued. Or this would be a great excuse to run as VERTIGO.

kriya shakti,
    Rev. Sully

Eric O'Sullivan
    Boston, MA

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson