Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

I thought Secret History of the Foot Clan # 1 was fantastic, although the second I saw the color of the witch's potion at work on Tatsuo's "foot" I knew its origin. Plus Kitsune morphing from woman to fox set off some obvious bells and whistles. But in a good way - the kind of science v. mysticism paradox that has been building, including the feud between Foot Clan and Dimension X as well as Leo and Donny is so important to making this series work thematically (Raph's thematics cover the whole urban street aspect, Mikey's just a cool dude although I'm sure his hidden themes will rise soon.)

More importantly, I didn't think it was coincidence that the Foot's founder shares a common name-basis with Tatsu from the movies. (PS, there's a guy I'd like to have turn up. They need to play up a little more of the old "Foot recruits street punks" side of things. Preferably by having a friend of Michelangelo fall in with that crowd). Sure, Karai basically serves that function, but the Foot can always use a "Badass Drill Sergeant" type and he's the guy.

Another cool thing is this being a further indication of April's sort of "renaissance woman" status. Overall, as a scientist she grew suspicious and became a snoop. In the original books obviously she was the lab assistant, but in later media a reporter. Her snooping there, and here could lead to that career in the future. But anyway, here she's in an archaeology class, which fits with the other side of April - her love of antiques, owning the Antique Shop from her dad, and in the '05 TMNT movie, she was even importing priceless relics. So we're getting every side of April, and her being a college student is kind of a convenient and logical way of granting her access to these interests that thematically help the Turtles.

I'll take the ragged, stylized designs on the bandanas in this mini but I don't want to see it crop up in the regular books. Not that I expect it will. So far I'm liking these links that are being drawn.

My main beef? Honestly it's Casey's hair. Which isn't limited to the mini. Grow it. Casey looks un-Casey without a mane. I know the original depiction had messy, short hair, the 80s cartoon did, the toy did and the recent TMNT flick did, but Casey just needs long hair, man, and denim and cut-off sleeves and fingerless gloves. Elias Koteas swagger.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Yeah, the ooze that mutated the turtles and the potion that regrew Tatsuo's leg are definitely one in the same and with the Iron Demon turning out to be an Utrom the reason why was obvious. I look forward to seeing how that relationship plays out, the Shredder is on record now in saying he wants to bring the foot back to where they were before they broke away from the Iron Demon and yet he's doing so by unknowingly fighting against the person who was directly responsible for that prior level of prominence.

That's an almost Shakespearean plot twist and one I really can't wait to see develop.

I agree. Secret History of the Foot Clan was great!! Can't wait to read the other 3 now!! This isn't just going to wrap science and mysticism but I suspect philosophy, legend and maybe even some historical fact for good measure before it's all done.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Here is the preview of Secret History of The Foot Clan #2.
    spoilers:
    Ninja battle while a car chase is happening!
    end of spoilers

I seriously can't wait for tomorrow.

I am loving this mini-series.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

I love all things turtles ive read the first four idw micros and up to issue 11 so far and it's slowly becoming my favorite turtles era, also im collecting the Ultimate Collections of the Original stuff as they are released

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I am loving this mini-series.
    Same here, it's proving to be everything you'd want from a turtles comic.

I know I commented on how I didn't care for how the turtles were drawn in the first issue but I think I've gotten used to it as I didn't mind them at all today, in fact I really liked the level of detail they were given; the swirls on their shells and the return of the freckles from the movies were really great.

I finally found some time to read #2 it was awesome! this next part is under spoiler tags just in case.

spoilers:
    I really like how the reincarnation aspect is playing a bigger role with the fact that Oroku Saki = reincarnated soul of Tatsuo Takeshi. I especially love the fact that the monk while talking with Maji mentions "that with love you could help balance and break the cycle that began 100 years prior" only for this to not have one ounce of effect on Saki as he grew older.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Same here, it's proving to be everything you'd want from a turtles comic.

I know I commented on how I didn't care for how the turtles were drawn in the first issue but I think I've gotten used to it as I didn't mind them at all today, in fact I really liked the level of detail they were given; the swirls on their shells and the return of the freckles from the movies were really great.
    Agreed. I've completely changed my mind based on this issue, and wouldn't mind if this guy was drawing the main Turtles book, at least for a period of time. When I noticed the ripped knees on Casey's jeans and the leather gloves I decided he had it right (long hair or no, though he could still be just a smidge rougher around the edges), and the rest of the turtles body language was perfect, and the extra little detail really brought it home.

Another great issue. Best Shredder has been since TMNT 1990. I was curious who the older ninja walking young Saki away was, since Maji and Masato are the two elders. I thought perhaps he could've been Nagi, but if Saki is the firstborn that nixes that. I am hoping Nagi is included in this all-inclusive holistic and perfect Turtles run. Yoshi and Saki's relationship is cool. April is awesome, April's van is awesome, and the banter/tension with Casey was awesome.

I'm also curious what karmic reincarnation could entail for Oroku Saki. I like my Shredder to stand on his own two feet and not have to be affected by outside forces to be dangerous - whether he seeks some demonic or alien form of immortality, I think he should of his own accord be totally ruthless, cunning and adept. So is he really a reincarnated Tatsuo or was Masato being symbolic? Is Shredder predestined to be a bad seed, or is he just a bad seed? But then if he THINKS he's predestined that's a cool caveat, as well - that he's just a bad seed but he thinks he's got some divine mandate to rule the world/underworld or at least for the Foot Clan to be a global group of bad-asses. (Side note: Am hoping they bring back the recruitment of punk kids aspect.)

Either way, some force is working - both he, Yoshi and the Hamato sons have escaped the shackles of Edo-period Japan. (Is it Edo? I'm not that up on my Japanese History. Feels like Edo. That would link it to the elements from TMNT III: Turtles in Time, and I see no reason not to do that. Shogun. Prince. European gun-runner guy. Maybe link it to Lord Simultaneous or Savanti Romero.)
    Last edited by Retro315; 01-25-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I think it was a legitimate reincarnation(if you believe in those types of things), that test at the beginning was pretty much the same one that is used in testing children to see if they are the Dhali Llama: a child has to identify a personal item of the last Llama from a random group of objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    I've completely changed my mind based on this issue, and wouldn't mind if this guy was drawing the main Turtles book, at least for a period of time.
    That is what I want. It could happen I guess, the current artist is only currently on the book until issue 20, and then Kevin Eastman is drawing #21, but it's too far out for them to have announced who is on the book as of #22.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

It is kinda weird to say, but I wish that the regular title had has much intrigue as Secret History has right now. the main book is still fun, but it just hasn't felt as compelling or have as excellent art as the Secret History series has had.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

IDW has announced the line-up to the Villains Micro Series .

1. Krang
    2. Baxter Stockman
    3. Old Hob
    4. Alopex

This is a good line-up and I can't wait for em!

Sounds right except what about Shredder?

Also, the Secret History of the Foot Clan #2 was a great read. One of the best indie miniseries going on right now hands down!!!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Sounds right except what about Shredder?

Also, the Secret History of the Foot Clan #2 was a great read. One of the best indie miniseries going on right now hands down!!!
    Well in a way Shredder got a 4 issue mini.