Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Man, the annual today was amazing! I loved the black and white art and the gang war between the Foot and the Savat ninjas was really fun. It reminded me a lot of the Return to New York story.

And it looks like my prediction about the other Turtle's identity was correct as the media is calling the snapping turtle the Slash Monster in today's issue.

I never had any doubt that it was Slash, but I'd say in the same way Eastman/Waltz have merged redundant characters into stronger, more recognizable niche characters, he's got a lot of Tokka's origin in him. Like I said previously, the best thing for me about this series has been a chance to see certain, well not "wrongs", but things righted, fixed or made cohesive. Krang is an Utrom and he's also pretty much the Despot guy from the original Fugitoid arc. Perfect fusion.

Slash isn't quite a deranged turtle from Dimension X, but Dimension X is so inherently part of the origin of the mutagens that he kind of still is a 'deranged turtle with Dimension X origins', in addition to basically being Tokka.

Love Slash. I remember when my brother traded his V.1 April for a Slash (of course, then somehow I traded the then much later, slightly broken Slash to a buddy for a replacement Groundchuck to complete the duo with Dirtbag.)

While I hope the series maintains the way the "Turtles: The Movie"/Foot Clan criminal enterprise stuff is running parallel to the Utrom/alien/mutagen/resistance stuff, I can't not say there aren't a handful of old favorite mutants I'd like to see sprinkled in as they go (Mondo Gecko and the Frogs come to mind ...). And I chuckled when I saw Prof. Jordan Perry cameo - he was originally supposed to have been an Utrom. I know StockGen has sort of replaced TCRI but both existed in the original comics, and I do hope TCRI turns up sooner or later.
    Last edited by Retro315; 11-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

There definitely is a lot of Tokka in him, the way he was attacking places the Turtles had been was very reminiscent of how Tokka operated in the second film.

The melding of all the past iterations is definitely a strong suit of the series, it gives it an air of familiarity yet still remains fresh and exciting.

Man, after reading numerous possitive comments on this thread and flipping through a few issues of the IDW series, I think that I will give the IDW series a try.

I have 2 questions for you guys. How does reincarnation fit into the origin of this new version of TMNT? Are the Turtles and Splinter reincarnations of people?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Man, after reading numerous possitive comments on this thread and flipping through a few issues of the IDW series, I think that I will give the IDW series a try.

I have 2 questions for you guys. How does reincarnation fit into the origin of this new version of TMNT? Are the Turtles and Splinter reincarnations of people?
    Yeah, it's sort of a new spin on the Himato Yoshi/ Oroku Saki rivalry; in this version the rivalry took place in feudal Japan and Saki slew Yoshi, Teng Shen and their four sons. Before dieing Yoshi vowed that they'd meet again and now they have as Splinter and the Turtles and the Shredder. How this happened has yet to be explained but it feels like something that is going to be built on in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, it's sort of a new spin on the Himato Yoshi/ Oroku Saki rivalry; in this version the rivalry took place in feudal Japan and Saki slew Yoshi, Teng Shen and their four sons. Before dieing Yoshi vowed that they'd meet again and now they have as Splinter and the Turtles and the Shredder. How this happened has yet to be explained but it feels like something that is going to be built on in the future.
    That sounds like a really cool and unique take on their origin. It seems like an amalgamated mash up of elements from the 3 animated series,the 3rd live action movie,and the original comics with some new elements thrown into it. I like what I'm hearing and I will definitely start checking this new series out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    That sounds like a really cool and unique take on their origin. It seems like an amalgamated mash up of elements from the 3 animated series,the 3rd live action movie,and the original comics with some new elements thrown into it. I like what I'm hearing and I will definitely start checking this new series out.
    That's exactly what they've managed to do and is the series real strong point, it capitalizes on the nostalgia for the past while still feeling fresh and exciting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

I don't think I've ever seen ever seen the original comic series called mediocre before.

I don't think I've ever seen ever seen the original comic series called mediocre before.
    He's mentioned in the past he grew up on the cartoon and archie comics and found the mirage stuf too weird and for him its mediocre and others may disagree,

With all the stuff they did in the Archie books the fugitoid story just seems pretty tame to me. I mean, he even straight up detailed how the archie books took them to other worlds and everything so I'm just not sure how it'd be okay in one book but weird in another.

With all the stuff they did in the Archie books the fugitoid story just seems pretty tame to me. I mean, he even straight up detailed how the archie books took them to other worlds and everything so I'm just not sure how it'd be okay in one book but weird in another.
    I think its more that, as a kid, he was too young for the original comics. So grew up on the archie stuff. He probably, as with many other readers got a flase idea of what the mirage comics were about and couldnt get into them. I was confused for a bit. I know tohers who like the 90's cartoon and archie comics but cant stand the originals.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

When IDW introduced the TMNT app for comixology a while back I read the first issue and I liked it, but I could not justify buying any of the other issues for 3.99 bucks. Than I saw the big sale on TMNT and I caught up and I am in love with this book.

I caught up the same way, and now I tend to wait for the price's to drop to pick up the new issues.