Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Arcudi

Default John Arcudi

Here's an interview with JA from The Idler.

We've got a thread for Guy Davis, Tyler Crook and Duncan Fegredo (and all threads are about Mike Mignola). I figured it's time we had one for John Arcudi. This interview seems as good a place as any to start.

Good idea, Middenway!

Last year John Arcudi and artist Peter Snejbjerg published a great graphic novel called "A God Somewhere". I recommend it. Snejbjerg is the artist who drew "Abe Sapien: The Abyssal Plain".

Here's a strong endorsement: "The most human take on the super-hero story I have ever seen. This is the book that shows just how good a writer John Arcudi is." - Mike Mignola, creator of Hellboy

link

Mignolaverse calendar guy imrandy85's Avatar

I'd like to also highly recommend A God Somewhere. It has been out of print for a little bit but it is being resolicited in this month's (June 2011) previews. I don't have the previews book in front of me right now but I believe it is coming out in September at a slightly lower price than the previous version.
    Calendar for all upcoming Mike Mignola releases. ICAL link

see 'about me' for XML and HTML links

Here is a great and fresh John Arcudi interview....

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_B View Post
    Here is a great and fresh John Arcudi interview....
    ??? That's the same interview from the first post.

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

Well played, Middenway. It's a bit embarrassing thinking we didn't have an Arcudi thread here. The man's an amazing talent and deserves WAY more kudos than he's been given around these parts. The BPRD and associated books wouldn't be nearly the amazing reads they are without him.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

An interview about the Major Bummer collection by John Arcudi

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    An interview about the Major Bummer collection by John Arcudi
    I missed Major Bummer initially but pre-ordered the collection and I'm looking forward to it.

Check out John's Doom Patrol series with Tan Eng Huat if you've never read it.
    Great stories and Huat's artwork is Craze-Z.

p.s. I got to meet John at Heroes this year and he was exited to sign my copy of AGS and asked my name so he could personalize it.

p.p.s.Later that night I took a closer look and he must've misheard me and dedicated it to Fletcher.

p.p.p.s.My name is Patrick
    "Spinarella? Are you killing me?!"

A rather odd interview with John Arcudi: http://twistedgeeks.screengeeks.com/?p=992

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    A rather odd interview with John Arcudi: http://twistedgeeks.screengeeks.com/?p=992
    Cool! John Arcudi licked stamps, I did that once or twice back in the day...

And he knows the thrilling tunes of MSTRKRFT? Cool +1!

There really is no way around it: power to John Arcudi. As he counts too .
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

John also wrote the first few volumes of The Mask, which is one of my all-time favorite comic books. I would kill to draw The Mask with John writing, and you can quote me.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

The Next Issue has done a podcast with John Arcudi. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet because it's a long one... an hour and twenty-five minutes in fact. It's bound to be interesting though.

UPDATE:
    Well, that was utterly brilliant. An incredibly interesting interview, especially the stuff about character voices.

There was some interesting stuff about Lobster Johnson that kicks in about the 60 minute mark:
    ...we're going to be continuing Lobster Johnson and it looks like right now we're going to be able to hold on to Tonci to do future work on Lobster Johnson. If he were a faster artist, I would love him to do miniseries after miniseries, but we're gonna have to plan it so that give him not too much work and then we can continue to work with him on maybe a longer series in the relatively near future.
    Last edited by Middenway; 10-23-2011 at 05:35 PM.