Page 157 of 232 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 3473

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    The story does move over to the X-Men comic for a few issues, but then it crosses back and concludes in Avengers #53 (and Wanda and Pietro both appear in Av. #53).
    Ah, I didn't remember that. (I assume I knew it once, 'cause I did a huge Avengers readthrough 5-6 years ago.) And I probably have the X-men issues in Masterworks but eventually I just gave up and skimmed.. This period of Avengers isn't my favorite thing ever, the the solo-story split book X-men stuff was just painful, IMO.

Edit: I'm working on Golden Age USA Comics Vol. 1* and (SA) Sub-Mariner Vol. 4.** And Golden Age All Winners 1*** comes out in TPB next week. So the next post'll be one of those, unless I get distracted.

* Supposedly a companion book to Kirby's Cap.
    ** I need to read more Marie Severin stuff.
    *** Haven't started it, but Kirby AND Everett (and Burgos and Gustavson and some other dudes)... Could be greate.
    Last edited by Reptisaurus!; 07-22-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

I read "I, Magneto" from Classic X-Men #19 about Magento's Nazi-hunting days....

And I read an FCBD reprint of old Moomin Valley comic strips from the 1950s.
    Pulling for: HATE!; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; Doktor Sleepless; S.H.I.E.L.D.; Sergio Aragones Funnies; The Manhattan Projects; MIND MGMT; Batman Black and White

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    giant size Avengers Special # 1. [...] Roy brings back [...] artist Don Heck.
    Roy didn't "bring Don back" for the Special. He didn't have that kind of power yet; Stan, as editor & art director, handled artist assignments. Heck was still the regular Avengers artist, but when he needed time to draw the Special, John Buscema filled in on the regular monthly title. Roy found that he liked working with John and liked the results, so he lobbied Stan to keep John on Avengers. Stan agreed, and moved Don to other assignments (X-Men, pencilling Spider-Man over Romita layouts, pencilling SHIELD over Kirby layouts, probably other things that I'm forgetting).
    --
    Rob Allen

Detective Comics #27 - #50 reprinted in the Batman Archives vol. 01. I think I enjoyed this more than the reprints of Batman #1 - #7 that I read awhile ago. My favorite is 'TEC #40 the first appearance of Clayface Basil Karlo which is a very good murder story. It almost plays out like a slasher movie. 'TEC #39 features one of the bloodiest panels I've seen in a golden age superhero book where they show a man get a hatchet to the face. Pretty gruesome and a good story as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detective Comics 39 page 2 panel 6.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	117047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detective Comics 39 page 2 panel 7.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	117046

The volume also contains the the first appearance of Hugo Strange in 'TEC #36 as well as another of his early appearances. I had no idea Strange created fear dust before The Scarecrow ('TEC #46 Professor Strange's Fear Dust). There is also a pretty good Joker story in issue 'TEC #45 called The Case of the Laughing Death!
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 07-22-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I recently finished reading all of my Rom back issues. I have the majority of the title, though I'm missing several issues, especially from the late 50's through #71. Anyway, it started off strong for about the first 40 issues or so, but then it fell off. I don't know if Mantlo lost interest, or ran out of ideas, or what, but I didn't enjoy most of the latter half of the run as much as the first half. Artistically, when it went from Sal Buscema to Steve Ditko with #59, it took a real tumble.

I am now reading All-Star Squadron, and I am loving it! Roy Thomas is one of my favorite writers. I also love the huge cast of colorfully costumed characters, some of whom I know and love, some of whom I'm find out out about as I go along. Also, though the artists have been changing frequently, every artist so far (I'm up to #32) has been very good.

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    I recently finished reading all of my Rom back issues. I have the majority of the title, though I'm missing several issues, especially from the late 50's through #71. Anyway, it started off strong for about the first 40 issues or so, but then it fell off. I don't know if Mantlo lost interest, or ran out of ideas, or what, but I didn't enjoy most of the latter half of the run as much as the first half. Artistically, when it went from Sal Buscema to Steve Ditko with #59, it took a real tumble.
    I have pretty much the opposite take. I enjoy the first half of the series as a sort of Rom Team-Up, as just about every arc features a guest star from the greater MU. But I feel like the series really gains focus around #50 when the war against the wraiths really kicks into high gear. From then up through the end of the war in #66, I think the series is at its high point. And while this certainly isn't Ditko's best work, I have a hard time putting Sal Buscema ahead of Steve Ditko in any circumstance.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Continuing my exploration of the terra incognita that is DC's Silver Age war comics, I've just finished reading Star Spangled War Stories #84-91, the 1959-60 issues featuring the "Mlle. Marie" series. Marie, of course, is the leader of a Maquis band (the French Underground, not the Bajoran) in Normandy who manages to kick serious Nazi ass while clad in a beret, a sweater and an impossibly tight skirt. I knew her from her appearances in other titles but this was my first exposure to her solo adventures. They're typical Kanigher combat fare for the most part with okay art by Jerry Grandenetti (#84-85), Irv Novick (#90) and the Andru/Esposito team (#91). The big revelation for me was the art in #86-89 by caricaturist supreme Mort Drucker. His art is amazing: moody, atmospheric, charged with dramatic tension. And of course his characters are vividly portrayed, particularly Marie's arch-enemy, the Gestapo commandant Colonel Von Eck. My favorite story features a running gun battle between Marie's freedom fighters and Von Eck's troops across the rooftops of a French town at night, which Drucker stages for both maximum drama and maximum clarity. Much as I love his work for Bill Gaines, the world of comics lost out when Mort went MAD. Alas, #90 also features the first "War That Time Forgot" story, the series that would bump Marie from the title in short order because, c'mon, it's soldiers vs. dinosaurs!!!

Cei-U!
    I summon my newest artistic hero!
    Last edited by Cei-U!; 07-23-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

While I read Pratt's Enemy Ace which was an utter masterpiece. The script was utterly fantastic and actually better than the art which itself was a tour de force. One of the best things I have ever read. Kudos to everyone involved
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

I agree. I think once the Wraith War took off it became a real mess, and it's some of the worst work I've seen from Ditko.

There was a good Dire Wraith story in Uncanny X-Men during that period, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I agree. I think once the Wraith War took off it became a real mess, and it's some of the worst work I've seen from Ditko.

There was a good Dire Wraith story in Uncanny X-Men during that period, though.
    +1 on that. The art was a huge let down in 1 issue towards the end of that run. No character has any eyeballs! It's insane! And it's Ditko and P Craig Russell! I think that issue had some random colorist that didn't know what they were doing and ruined the whole thing. I think it's #53.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    The big revelation for me was the art in #86-89 by caricaturist supreme Mort Drucker. His art is amazing: moody, atmospheric, charged with dramatic tension. And of course his characters are vividly portrayed, particularly Marie's arch-enemy, the Gestapo commandant Colonel Von Eck. My favorite story features a running gun battle between Marie's freedom fighters and Von Eck's troops across the rooftops of a French town at night, which Drucker stages for both maximum drama and maximum clarity. Much as I love his work for Bill Gaines, the world of comics lost out when Mort went MAD. Alas, #90 also features the first "War That Time Forgot" story, the series that would bump Marie from the title in short order because, c'mon, it's soldiers vs. dinosaurs!!!

Cei-U!
    I summon my newest artistic hero!
    I completely agree about Drucker. I forget which of those issues (86-89) I picked up randomly for a dollar or so some years back, but I certainly haven't forgotten being blown away by Drucker's presentation of Mlle. Marie. It's gorgeous looking and an obvious labour of love. Drucker could have hacked out those short stories presuming they would soon enough find their natural way to oblivion, but instead he gave them that special treatment that shows he really gave a damn. Kurt is right, DC should have tried to hang onto Drucker that might we able to treasure more of his mini-masterworks in the war genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I have pretty much the opposite take. I enjoy the first half of the series as a sort of Rom Team-Up, as just about every arc features a guest star from the greater MU. But I feel like the series really gains focus around #50 when the war against the wraiths really kicks into high gear. From then up through the end of the war in #66, I think the series is at its high point. And while this certainly isn't Ditko's best work, I have a hard time putting Sal Buscema ahead of Steve Ditko in any circumstance.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Rom's whining finally wore thin for me around #50, plus inconsistencies (he'll intentionally kill Wraiths, not in self defense for a few issues, then later on state that he's taken a vow never to kill, even a killer, a few issues later) start piling up. Dialogue, never one of the strong points of this title, seemed to get worse. Finally, while I enjoyed the last few issues, the bit where Rom merely touches this glowing globe, which is supposed to contain the other half of his humanity, and automatically becomes human, rubbed me the wrong way. The process of becoming human again is supposed to involve long, complicated, high tech surgery, which "can only be done with the science of Galador". The ending seemed really rushed. I'll admit, I am missing some of the issues in the 50's and 60's which you are referring to, so I may be missing some good stuff, but I just felt that the title ran out of steam.

Also, Steve Ditko is one of my all time least favorite artists. He's a great designer, and deserves a ton of credit for that, especially for what he did with the Spider-Man world, but I think that his actual drawings are just awful, especially in the 70's and 80's. I think he's rather overrated as an artist because of all of the early stuff he helped to create.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Rom's whining finally wore thin for me around #50, plus inconsistencies (he'll intentionally kill Wraiths, not in self defense for a few issues, then later on state that he's taken a vow never to kill, even a killer, a few issues later) start piling up. Dialogue, never one of the strong points of this title, seemed to get worse. Finally, while I enjoyed the last few issues, the bit where Rom merely touches this glowing globe, which is supposed to contain the other half of his humanity, and automatically becomes human, rubbed me the wrong way. The process of becoming human again is supposed to involve long, complicated, high tech surgery, which "can only be done with the science of Galador". The ending seemed really rushed. I'll admit, I am missing some of the issues in the 50's and 60's which you are referring to, so I may be missing some good stuff, but I just felt that the title ran out of steam.

Also, Steve Ditko is one of my all time least favorite artists. He's a great designer, and deserves a ton of credit for that, especially for what he did with the Spider-Man world, but I think that his actual drawings are just awful, especially in the 70's and 80's. I think he's rather overrated as an artist because of all of the early stuff he helped to create.
    I think you'll get some disagreement on your Ditko opinion as well. His work, on super-heroes, was not my favorite either (excepting the early Spider-Man and if you count Dr. Strange), but I don't agree his work was overrated. No one could handle the weird and surreal in a comic the way he could.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

Ditko's Spidey may not be my all time favorite, but it is classic in it's own right. His Dr. Strange stuff was amazing and the work he did well before either is even more remarkable.

1st cover:

My fav!:

TOTAL CLASSIC!!!

- pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I always have to remember when I see the 'kids' these days bag on Howard Chakyin's current Marvel work how much I would cringe when I was a kid looking at Ditko's work on the Micronauts or Rom. I came to later really like Steve Ditko's 60s work and appreciate all he did, but when I was a kid Ditko was a big let down for me after reading Mike Golden on Micronauts.