Page 130 of 232 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 3476

Thanks man! Oh, if you look at the Classic Comics Purchased thread, you'll see I usually don't have issues buying oldie & goodies.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Last night and this morning, I tore through the first Saga of the Swamp Thing trade paperback that DC put out in the 80s, the one reprinting the first two story arcs by Alan Moore. (The cover doesn't even say DC, it says "Warner communications")!

I hadn't re-read Moore's Swampy for, oh, a good fifteen years. And as I was going through that terrific book, I kept wondering "why, oh why do I read so much crap instead of this???"

These comics are just so good... Moore's use of the English language is so pleasant you feel like reading the thing out loud (which would be do a world of good to any comic-book reader's reputation, of course). And Bissette's, Totleben's and Veitch's art is just beautiful (best looking Hawkman I've ever seen, and he's there for, like, one panel). The rhyming Etrigan, a cool idea which (OF COURSE!) was later exploited and ruined by others, was unexpected and chilling. And with hindsight, we can see all the story points that Moore was seeding in advance. Fun, fun, fun comics!!! I think I'll just keep going all the way.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Ok, old enough to be a classic by official board guidelines, but not really old enough to be a classic by the standards of most of our regular posters, I just read the 8 issue Adam Strange mini form 2004-2005 by Andy Diggle and Pascal Ferry-the Planet Heist storyline. I got these from Aaron King in the CCE, and decided to have at them. It's a fun little romp through sci-fi corner of the DCU, featuring Adam Strange and Rann, Thanagar, Durlans, the Omega Men, Darkstar, L.E.G.I.O.N. and other cosmic characters of the DCU. Diggle tells a great tale and Ferry's art is gorgeous. It's ending dovetails into the Rann-Thanagar mess that was part of the Infinite Crisis event, which is a strike against the series, but it's a fun ride up until that bumpy end, with lots of great moments, and some very good cliffhanger endings giving this an old time serial feel.

I haven't read a lot of the early classic tales (my first exposure was the Man of Two Worlds mini with art by the Kuberts), but I love the character and have read a handful of the reprints that appeared in later issues of Strange Adventures (and am eagerly awaiting the Showcase volume I ordered to arrive so I can sample some more of the early tales. Reading Planet Heist though has me wanting to seek out some of the other DC sci-fi stuff I ignored inthe past, like Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N. and possibly Darkstars.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Last night and this morning, I tore through the first Saga of the Swamp Thing trade paperback that DC put out in the 80s, the one reprinting the first two story arcs by Alan Moore. (The cover doesn't even say DC, it says "Warner communications")!

I hadn't re-read Moore's Swampy for, oh, a good fifteen years. And as I was going through that terrific book, I kept wondering "why, oh why do I read so much crap instead of this???"

These comics are just so good... Moore's use of the English language is so pleasant you feel like reading the thing out loud (which would be do a world of good to any comic-book reader's reputation, of course). And Bissette's, Totleben's and Veitch's art is just beautiful (best looking Hawkman I've ever seen, and he's there for, like, one panel). The rhyming Etrigan, a cool idea which (OF COURSE!) was later exploited and ruined by others, was unexpected and chilling. And with hindsight, we can see all the story points that Moore was seeding in advance. Fun, fun, fun comics!!! I think I'll just keep going all the way.
    High on my list of favorite comic runs, that. (Well, probably #7, but that's pretty high)
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

A couple years back, Steve Rude independently published a black & white cheap format reprint of the first few Nexus issues. A welcome alternative to the pricey hardcovers which had thus far been the only way to get this series. I'd occasionally peek at ebay to see if the whole series was on sale cheaply, but for the most part, I just patiently waited. I knew Nexus had its followers and I knew I liked Steve Rude, and I knew the concept was appealing to me. I was pretty sure when I sat down to read it, it would be one of my favorite comics. The black & white version didn't disappoint, but time passed and it became increasingly clear volume 2 was not coming.

Thank you to Dark Horse, because this is what I've been waiting for. Collecting a little more than the previous volume did, and this time restored to full color and with quality printing, I remembered why the concept had initially appealed to me, and finally got to read and enjoy a good stretch of Nexus. I eagerly look forward to volume 2 and beyond.

I really think this is going to be one of the best series I've ever read. But we will see.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

The rhyming Etrigan, a cool idea which (OF COURSE!) was later exploited and ruined by others, was unexpected and chilling.
    It was a cool idea but it wasn't Moore's. Len Wein started it back when he was writing the Demon back-up series in Detective Comics. Moore was the only writer, however, with good enough poetic chops to make Etrigan's dialogue sound like something more than greeting card doggerel.

Cei-U!
    I summon the credit where credit is due!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    It was a cool idea but it wasn't Moore's. Len Wein started it back when he was writing the Demon back-up series in Detective Comics. Moore was the only writer, however, with good enough poetic chops to make Etrigan's dialogue sound like something more than greeting card doggerel.

Cei-U!
    I summon the credit where credit is due!
    Kudos to Wein, then!

(Would that be the Demon stories with art by Michael Golden?)
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

(Would that be the Demon stories with art by Michael Golden?)
    Yup, Golden followed by Ditko.

Cei-U!
    I summon the ol' one-two!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I'm about 2/3 of the way through a re-read of Bone and about 3/4 of the way through a re-read of Planetary.

Finished up Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange vol. 2, which contained the last 5 Ditko stories from Strange Tales, then had stories drawn by Bill Everett, Marie Severin, and Dan Adkins - who I thought was only an inker?

And I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's ever-escalating cosmic threats (Umar! Zom! The Living Tribunal! The Scientist Supreme!) full of genuine tension and the artists range from very, very good to jaw-droppingly incredible. I haven't heard much talk about the post-Ditko Doc Strange here, but this is all great, great stuff.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Finished up Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange vol. 2, which contained the last 5 Ditko stories from Strange Tales, then had stories drawn by Bill Everett, Marie Severin, and Dan Adkins - who I thought was only an inker?
    I read these in Essentials form a couple years ago, but lost interest pretty quickly after Ditko left--thought the stories lost the constant threat and paranoia of Ditko's Doc Strange.

Art was generally very nice though. I thought Everett's had something of a goldan age look to it.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Like Joe Sinnott, Adkins was an artist who decided in mid-career to focus on inking. He did a fair amount of pencilling early in his career when he was associated with Wally Wood. Then he drew some Sub-Mariner and X-Men for Marvel along with Dr. Strange. A few years later I seem to recall that he left New York and worked almost exclusively with artists who lived near him in Ohio - Val Mayerik, Craig Russell, and Paul Gulacy.
    --
    Rob Allen

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    I read these in Essentials form a couple years a
    go, but lost interest pretty quickly after Ditko left--thought the stories lost the constant threat and paranoia of Ditko's Doc Strange.
    They worked for me- There's a series of "Now, here's an even MORE POWERFUL" villain stories (ending with the Living Tribunal, who can basically destroy the earth with a shrug) which kept the tension level rising. Nobody's quite as good as mood inking or drawing not-of-this-world as Ditko, but it seems like everyone's trying really hard.
    Art was generally very nice though. I thought Everett's had something of a goldan age look to it.
    He wasn't quite as good here as his other stuff - Personally, I like him best as a horror artist. (But still really, really good.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Like Joe Sinnott, Adkins was an artist who decided in mid-career to focus on inking. He did a fair amount of pencilling early in his career when he was associated with Wally Wood. Then he drew some Sub-Mariner and X-Men for Marvel along with Dr. Strange. A few years later I seem to recall that he left New York and worked almost exclusively with artists who lived near him in Ohio - Val Mayerik, Craig Russell, and Paul Gulacy.
    Huh. Who knew their were three artists in Ohio. Seems kind of a shame - Like Klaus Janson and Bill SienKiewicz, I'd rather he both drew and inked - He's really great here. (And Joe Sinnott too, of course - HE drew Reptisaurus.)

Now, of course, I'm going back and reading the rest of the Ditko stories (And other misc. Doctor Strange appearances from the same time.) Man, I feel bad for the poor Doc; he has to fight for every story page. In the beginning he only gets five in every issue of Strange Tales, then he's up too 8, and he finally made it to 9. And at best he gets a tiny little blurb on the cover. And, heck, he guest starred in an issue of Fantastic Four and Stan Lee didn't mention that on the cover! (And Stan Lee mentions everything on the cover.) No respect, I tell ya!

Doc's prominent on the cover of FF #27, which was my first FF issue. Which one was he in before that?
    --
    Rob Allen