Page 126 of 232 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 3473
    20% Cooler Than You Richard Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Gypsy Moth changed her persona and became Skein, who was in a later incarnation of the Thunderbolts:

She changed more than her persona. Judging by the picture, looks like she ditched her old insect costume and got some new...abilities too, something in the 42GGG-22-32 range.

Modern comic book artists: Pandering to the 14-year-old boy in all of us since 1991.
    "I don't hate everybody. I think I'm better than everybody. It's completely different."

Currently Hunting:
    Marvel Two-in-One #1, and Werewolf by Night #32 (at a reasonable price)

Huh. I only have the first issue with Gypsy Moth. Did she come back in the series again? That one was weird because there was no motivation behind the "villain" and it was barely anything.

I liked the Brothers Grimm, the Enforcer, even Morgan LeFey. I don't have all the Fleisher stories with "Rupert Dockery." I guess he was trying to do a media critique with that guy.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Quote Originally Posted by RBishop View Post
    She changed more than her persona. Judging by the picture, looks like she ditched her old insect costume and got some new...abilities too, something in the 42GGG-22-32 range.

Modern comic book artists: Pandering to the 14-year-old boy in all of us since 1991.
    Oh yeah! But MUUUUUUCH further back than that.... Exhibit A of a billion:

- pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Showcase 74 the first appearance of Anthro by Howie Post.

Great first issue with the first boy on Earth teaching his Neanderthal father about the power of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Showcase 74 the first appearance of Anthro by Howie Post.

Great first issue with the first boy on Earth teaching his Neanderthal father about the power of love.
    Great issue indeed, Anthro is a fantastic character and the first story is definitely one of the best.

I'm in the midst of a re-read of Anthro. It's probably been 15 to 20 years since I read these last. And what a joy this book is. If I'd done this earlier it absolutely would have been on my 12 days list. Post presents a fairly realistic look at prehistoric life while imbuing the characters with a large amount of humanist feel. And there is carry over from issue to issue. Not continuations of the type Marvel was doing, but a sense of continuity that was still fairly rare at DC at the time.

Why this isn't collected is beyond me, as it really is one of the gems of the late 60s mainstream comic scene.

It is a crime, it's an incredibly fun story that truly deserves a nice hardcover collection. Luckily good copies of the issues are easy to find and are fairly inexpensive so it's easy to read for anyone interested in doing so.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I've just finished Lords of the Ultra-realm, by Doug Moench and Pat Broderick; a six-issue miniseries followed by an oversized special.

I had seen the house ads at the time and thought them intriguing; Lords of the Ultra-realm appeared to be a bit like Zelazny's Lord of light or Nine princes in Amber, with a cast of several fantasy characters with... "elastic" morals rivaling for power.

It turns out to be a fantasy series in which a mortal man (Vietnam vet and ex-heavyweight boxer) finds himself cast in the role of one of seven "Lords of light" who oppose seven "lords of darkness" on a parallel world of extremes where people and things are either very, very, very good or very, very, very bad. Said world, the Ultra-realm from the title, is divided in a light half and a dark one, with the border clearly defined. The castles of each of the seven light and dark lords face each other, Love facing Hate, Bliss facing Rage, and so on. (Each "Lord" is a physical avatar of a fundamental human trait, by the way).

The plot is pretty straighforward, as one of the bad guys upsets the balance by murdering his vis--vis... but things are never simple in such stories, because the murdered fellow is kind of reincarnated in the body of our Vietnam vet, and powered by a shard of the soul of every other light lord. (There's a lot of stuff about souls being kept in mirrors, in here, but although Moench probably established the ground rules for his fantasy world before writing the actual story, a lot of them sound like they're made up as we go along... making it hard to root for the characters, since there's always some convenient deus ex machina to save them).

After much betrayal, soul-searching and fights, everything seems on the verge of becoming evil forever when our hero absorbs the "father" of them all by apparently killing his own ego (unless his ego had already been killed before? That's pretty murky, since he seems to have a strong ego before we learn it's been dead all along). He then essentially becomes God and recreates the Ultra-realm with lords of light and darkness who are just a little greyer than they were before.

That's it for the mini-series. The Special that follows is, in my opinion, much more interesting; it's less ambitious than the mini-series but succeeds much better. It shows what happens when Love falls for Hate and has two children from him; one is kinda all lovey-dovey and the other is all hatey-hawky (and is kept in the attic like the evil Bart Simpson). When the hateful son escapes, he engages in a campaign of vengeance that includes having sex with what is essentially his own father! Pretty weird stuff that's much more intriguing that the standard plot of the mini-series. The story in the Ultra-realm parallels another one happening on Earth, and it would have been a good start for a new mini-series.

Artwise, it's a mixed bag. The art in the special is superior to that of the mini in almost every way, which is odd since the series was supposed to feature a world of extremes, where architecture, clothing and characters were all over the top. Now when I think "over the top", what I think of is Philippe Druillet...

but here we have ordinary comic-book fantasy pictures. Except for one detail: all male characters look flamboyantly gay. It's actually kind of funny to see the Vietnam vet transformed into the body of one of the Lords of Light, grabbing his sword to kick ass, and remaining in his body-clinging pink outfit with the bouffant platinum hair. Nothing wrong with that, but you get the impression that such was not the desired effect; it's more like this in an extreme view of how people looked like in the 80s.

(Just imagine them in skin-tight, skimpy leather bikinis.)

It's too bad the special was not followed by a second mini-series; I think it showed some promise.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Just reread again:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xmenclassics1983no1-3SET.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	107487

I remember buying and reading the Lords of the Ultra Realm mini-series when it was coming out, and remember enjoying it but until you summarized it could not have told you one iota of the story. I don't think i ever read the follow up special, and I haven't owned those books since I purged part of my collection as an undergrad in the late 80's.

I've thought a few times about tracking it down again, but never have. Maybe if I see it at the convention in March i will pick it up.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Whoops. ignore.

Just finished reading through the Wonder Woman: The Twelve Labors trade collecting Wonder Woman #212-222. This was really my first extended exposure to Pre-Crisis/Pre-Perez Wonder Woman. I watched the Lynda Carter show and Wonder Woman on Superfriends as a kid, and had read stories with her in it in JLA, but hadn't really read any of her solo stories until the first Perez issue, so this was an all new experience for me. I have to say I really enjoyed these stories. I had been picking up a few Wonder Woman issues here and there but had nothing resembling a run, so hadn't really sat down to read any of these. I picked up the trade with some X-Mas money from Amazon, and had a blast reading it, so will look to pick up some more pre-Crisis WW to fill in some runs to read.

I think the framing sequence using JLAers I was more familiar with may have actually been a good intro for me to get into the stories (which is what I am guessing was the point behind it when editorial decided to do it lo those many years ago), but it was fun to see the other Leaguers react to Diana's adventures. It's also curious how so many artists with varied styles submerged a lot of those elements to produce a consistent style, almost a house style I would say that, while it had variations, wasn't a jarring transition form one issue to the next with different art teams.

On side note, does anyone know if the artist coming in late and being chastised by the editor Julie (Schwartz I presume) because Chronos had obliterated time perception in issue #220 was a self portrait of sorts by Dick Giordano? I met him in '86 when he did a store appearance at my local shop in Connecticut and he was much older then, but the artist in the panel looks like he could be a younger Girodano? I am wondering if my eye is deceiving me and this was Giordano drawing someone else or whether the resemblance I am seeing in correct.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

In a discount longbox I found me some of Marvel's Conan The Barbarian, not really a Conan fan but bought them mostly for the coolness of smelling old cheap newsprint comics when the ink would smear on your fingers and there is some brilliant art by John Buscema, Alfredo Alcala and Ernie Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Just finished reading through the Wonder Woman: The Twelve Labors trade collecting Wonder Woman #212-222. This was really my first extended exposure to Pre-Crisis/Pre-Perez Wonder Woman. I watched the Lynda Carter show and Wonder Woman on Superfriends as a kid, and had read stories with her in it in JLA, but hadn't really read any of her solo stories until the first Perez issue, so this was an all new experience for me. I have to say I really enjoyed these stories. I had been picking up a few Wonder Woman issues here and there but had nothing resembling a run, so hadn't really sat down to read any of these. I picked up the trade with some X-Mas money from Amazon, and had a blast reading it, so will look to pick up some more pre-Crisis WW to fill in some runs to read.
    I started reading just after the Twelve Labors storyline and found that I really enjoyed what Rucka was doing. It was an excellent throwback to the Perez era, while continuing to develop the character that Perez no longer seemed to know how to move forward towards the end of his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I've just finished Lords of the Ultra-realm, by Doug Moench and Pat Broderick; a six-issue miniseries followed by an oversized special.
    Wow. One of my favorite writers in all of comicdom paired with one of my absolute least favorite artists. Thanks for the lengthy write-up. I'll really have to think about picking this up.

Re-read the "Spider-man and Human Torch" mini by Dan Slott and Ty Templeton from a few years back. Might be stretching the idea of "Classic comics" a bit but it was a fun ride and revisit to a classic comic book character relationship with a bunch of nods to the past.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"