Page 121 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3491

I've started a selective re-read of Morrison's Animal Man. Parts of the book are sheer brilliance. But the vegetarian animal rights BS grates on me. So I'm going to read it piecemeal.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I re-read what's possibly my favourite Vampirella tale of all (although I've only read about 30% of the Magazines)...Death's Dark Angel. Although it was originally done in Warren's #12 way back in July 1971, I have a full-colour mid 90s reprint. What chills me each time is the final revelation...and the things a demon would do....

1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Working my way through the 2 Champions trades, about 4 issues in. The stories have been pretty average, and I'm struggling with not laughing out loud at Angels new costume. I do find it interesting comparing these people with their more contemporary portrayals (?), its hard seeing Widow as the token chick instead of the ultra-capable agent she is now, but the overriding impression from the books so far is how badly these people are suited to each other.

I am also in the process of reading the Avengers Crossing story, from Avengers 390 or so, with the Iron Man, Force Works, and War Machine crossovers. I've complained bitterly in a few posts recently about the appearance of these books, but thought I should actually read them. While some of the art so far is amateurish (I presume because of the drought of available talent with Image dragging a lot of B Graders away in their wake) the story has been ok, for the times. There are also a few gems like early Jim Cheung on Force Works. So I have to say that I'm enjoying it so far, though I know there are a couple of things coming that I definitely dont like.
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

Quote Originally Posted by pakehafulla View Post
    Working my way through the 2 Champions trades, about 4 issues in. The stories have been pretty average, and I'm struggling with not laughing out loud at Angels new costume. I do find it interesting comparing these people with their more contemporary portrayals (?), its hard seeing Widow as the token chick instead of the ultra-capable agent she is now, but the overriding impression from the books so far is how badly these people are suited to each other.
    My heart goes out to you. I read the first issue and the last issue only, and found both utterly unreadable. Seems to me there's a reason this team hasn't been revived.

Champions is pretty much terrible, but there are some stories in it that need to be read if you're interested in following certain characters through the 70's, like Ghost Rider and Hawkeye, the main reasons I bought the run. The team is just so entirely random, they don't make any sense together, plus the art is not good (well, other than some Byrne stuff towards the end) and the stories are just mediocre for the most part. I believe I read an interview somewhere where Tony Isabella explained why the team was so random, there were editorial reasons for it, but I forget what those reasons were.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Champions is pretty much terrible, but there are some stories in it that need to be read if you're interested in following certain characters through the 70's, like Ghost Rider and Hawkeye, the main reasons I bought the run. The team is just so entirely random, they don't make any sense together, plus the art is not good (well, other than some Byrne stuff towards the end) and the stories are just mediocre for the most part. I believe I read an interview somewhere where Tony Isabella explained why the team was so random, there were editorial reasons for it, but I forget what those reasons were.
    And don't forget that the writing and plotting were pretty sub-par too. Got to love that, in the first issue, they forgot to actually form the team and, in the last issue, the disbanding of the team was to be continued in the pages of the Avengers, but then got rerouted into a terrible two parter in Spectacular Spider-man in which the team arbitrarily breaks up in flashback.

That final issue and the lousy Spectacular Spider-man 2 parter that followed were some of my earliest reasons for deciding that Bill Mantlo is one of my least favorite writers in comicdom, second only to Charles Marshall (of Adventure Comics infamy).

The highlight of the CHAMPIONS is SWARM!!!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I was going through some books today (still indexing them all) and I came across something I had forgotten about that some of you might be interested in: Marvel's 100 Page Monster issues.

For those who weren't buying comics in the early 2000's, for a brief time Marvel brought back the classic 70's DC 100 page comic format. Just like the DC books, these would have one new story and then a bunch of classic reprints. There apparently were about a dozen or so issues total across a number of titles published in this format, but the two I have are Avengers #27 and Avengers #48:

Avengers #48 reprints Avengers vol. 1 #97-100, while #27 reprints #150-151, #101 and a story Kurt wrote for Avengers Annual #19 several years before he took over the title. The fact that they reprinted all of #150 is funny to me, as most of #150 is itself a reprint of #16, so they get a two-for-one by reprinting that one.

I know we have a lot of people who were big fans of the DC 100 Page issues in the 70's and I thought this was a really cool call back to those issues.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    The highlight of the CHAMPIONS is SWARM!!!
    If you love Swarm (as I do), you must also enjoy his ill-fated struggle with the webbed wonder in PPTSS #36-37. The Amazing Spider-Man delivers a "stinging" defeat to the Living Apiary (or "Hitler's Honey Hole," as he may have been called in that Champions story. I confess I haven't read it.)
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

I just read Action Comics #775, a double-sized 2001 issue introducing The Elite, a four-member Authority homage (or perhaps anti-homage) that includes Manchester Black, The Hat, and ... two other characters I forget. It's by Joe Kelly and Doug Mankhe.

I was impressed. The basis of the story is very reminiscent of Kingdom Come, as the newfangled team takes its brand of violent protection to the extreme, adjudicating and executing, ignoring the fates of onlookers. Superman faces them down and gives them what for, with not one, but two "twists" thrown in for good measure, deconstructing the Authority's deconstruction of the super-hero motif. I found Kelly's writing to be better than I've ever seen it before, on a par with very good Grant Morrison. I have no idea how the Justice League: Elite maxiseries worked out (presumably not so well, since I've never seen these characters since 2001), but this individual issue was a well-told Superman tale that gets at the heart of why Superman is a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    That issue was called "the single best issue of a comic book written in the year 2001", was voted the #1 in the Top Ten Comics of the Decade, #21 in the list of "Top 100 Comics of the last 30 years" and named the "Greatest Superman Story of All Time" by Wizard Magazine. However, it was also placed at #4 in the "Top 10 Overrated Comic Books" by Comics Bulletin.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 01-10-2013 at 04:52 AM.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    If you love Swarm (as I do), you must also enjoy his ill-fated struggle with the webbed wonder in PPTSS #36-37. The Amazing Spider-Man delivers a "stinging" defeat to the Living Apiary (or "Hitler's Honey Hole," as he may have been called in that Champions story. I confess I haven't read it.)
    Oh, I'm a fan. I've got this in my display:

- pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    I just read Action Comics #775, a double-sized 2001 issue introducing The Elite, a four-member Authority homage (or perhaps anti-homage) that includes Manchester Black, The Hat, and ... two other characters I forget. It's by Joe Kelly and Doug Mankhe.

I was impressed. The basis of the story is very reminiscent of Kingdom Come, as the newfangled team takes its brand of violent protection to the extreme, adjudicating and executing, ignoring the fates of onlookers. Superman faces them down and gives them what for, with not one, but two "twists" thrown in for good measure, deconstructing the Authority's deconstruction of the super-hero motif. I found Kelly's writing to be better than I've ever seen it before, on a par with very good Grant Morrison. I have no idea how the Justice League: Elite maxiseries worked out (presumably not so well, since I've never seen these characters since 2001), but this individual issue was a well-told Superman tale that gets at the heart of why Superman is a legend.
    I think this issue was the one that was adapted into the Superman: The Elite animated feature that DC put out last year. I've not read the comic, but my wife and I got the DVD from the library and watched it and quite enjoyed it. Not enough to go track down the original story mind you, but it was an entertaining Superman feature.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I think this issue was the one that was adapted into the Superman: The Elite animated feature that DC put out last year. I've not read the comic, but my wife and I got the DVD from the library and watched it and quite enjoyed it. Not enough to go track down the original story mind you, but it was an entertaining Superman feature.

-M
    Not sure if it was on the DVD version, but the Blu Ray of this animated feature contains the comic (digitally, of course) as a bonus feature. That being said, I have to agree with those that say this an overrated book. It's pretty darn good, but calling it the best book of the decade or whatever is a bit of a stretch.

I picked up several DC showcase presents recently........i never read more then maybe 2 Phantom Stranger solo comics in my life so i bought 1 & 2.......i finished #1 and
    the art is magnificent in black and white(Adams, Cardy, DeZunga) but the stories were hit and miss to me......i think i liked the Dr. 13 stories better then strange's........
    I'm more then halfway thru Teen Titans #2 and i'm diggin' the funky slang and moral stories. the art is top notch(Adams, Cardy, Cane}
    R.I.P. CARMINE!

I thought I had pretty much sampled every variety of American comic books from the 60's & 70's: all the superhero comics, westerns, war, romance, funny animal, teen humor, tv and movie adaptations, underground, horror, satire and parody...and all the significant publishers, from ACG to Warren...and then I recently realized that there was at least one long-lived breed of comics that I had seen all around me when I was younger, but only on the rarest of occasions had I ever actually looked inside one: the black & white car comics magazines and their kin.

Thanks to an unexpected opportunity, I've got a nice pile of them to investigate: CarToons, SurfToons, CycleToons, Racin'Toons, and a few others of the same ilk. I've never been any kind of automotive nut, but these are some fun comics that often feature some impressive cartooning--I found one story drawn by Alex Toth in one of these! Some of the humor eludes me, but it's all quite fascinating to explore.
    "We're Santa's elves, and we're here to tell you about ourselves!"--Summer and Eve