Page 120 of 232 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 3476
  1. #1786
    Elder Member dupersuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Oh yeah, I read that as well. I tended to like all the girl-preferred arcs - Game Of You, Doll's House, and Kindly Ones are my three favorites. It must be all that time I spent trying to touch my feminine side.
    Seasons of Mist is still my fave, but that may be because it was the first one I read.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

  2. #1787
    Senior Member MDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fairport, NY
    Posts
    2,630

    Default

    I've been reading through the various Archie titles I got from Scott Harris in the Classic Comics Exchange. Looking at them now, even though they cover about 15 years, I'm surprised that while I used to see them all as the same "house style", there's really a lot of variation among the different (anonymous, 'til around '80) artists.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

  3. #1788
    Idaho Spuds Slam_Bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    16,485

    Default

    Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe

    I've read hundreds of fanzines and prozines with thousands of interviews with creators. And I've read dozens of books covering largely the same subject matter. So it's, frankly, kind of hard to surprise me in a book like this. Moreover, it's gotten increasingly hard for someone to write such a book that I don't pick apart for some fairly blatant errors.

    Howe managed to keep my interest with no problem whatsoever, not include any egregious errors (that I noticed) and put in a thing or three that I wasn't actually aware of before picking up the book. The new knowledge was largely concentrated in the very early days of Marvel (I wasn't super familiar with Martin Goodman's early life) and in the post-Shooter years (because I've never really been arsed to care) but they were there and that's a good thing.

    One thing to the good is that I think Howe took a reasonably nonpartisan tack in the increasingly tedious Stan vs. Jack debate, which I greatly appreciated.

  4. #1789
    Run Runner shaxper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    6,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Seasons of Mist is still my fave, but that may be because it was the first one I read.
    No, I'm there with you. Seasons of Mist is definitely up there for me.

    I think I'd rank the series as follows:

    1. Fables and Reflections
    2. Brief Lives
    3. Season of Mists
    4. Preludes and Nocturnes
    5. The Kindly Ones
    6. The Wake
    7. Dream Country
    8. A Game of You
    9. World's End
    10. The Doll's House

  5. #1790
    Senior Member pmpknface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    Don't forget the Endless Nights book that came out afterwards!
    - pmpknface

    "Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

  6. #1791
    Suspect Device Romero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    I read some of my old Marvel Team Ups yesterday. Most were written by JM DeMatteis, one of my favorite writers. Most were also pencilled by Kerry Gammill. He's a penciller I have always really enjoyed but I can't recall if he was ever a "superstar" or not. I think he's great but I rarely see him mentioned in the same breath as others. If he's a total rip off of someone else or there's some other skeleton in the closet, I am not well versed enough to know.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

  7. #1792
    Welcome to Bleeker Street MRP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Gammill suffered from being a very slow penciller, so it was hard for him to keep a monthly gig and get the exposure needed to be a superstar. He did some bi-monthly books (I think he was a regular for a time on Power Man and Iron Fist) and did a few Superman related projects, but he never had enough high profile stuff out there to achieve any kind of star status because of the rate at which he produced work. It's easier these days for slower artists to achieve that status (see John Cassaday) because of the it will be collected in trade mentality that permeates projects, and rotating artistic teams on monthly books to keep the schedule.

    -M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

  8. #1793
    Run Runner shaxper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    6,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Don't forget the Endless Nights book that came out afterwards!
    Still in the process of reading it! I was underwhelmed by the Death story, and that's made me a bit hesitant to keep going. I don't want my final Gaiman Sandman story to disappoint me.

  9. #1794
    Senior Member Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonteMike72 View Post
    I always wonder what the X-Men would have become if Brent Anderson would have been the regular artist on the book all them years ago.
    I really liked his art on this graphic novel and the few other issues and annuals he did.
    Yes! I would much rather have had him on the book than JRJR, or even Cockrum. #144 & 160 look fantastic.

  10. #1795
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    If I didn't already have the series, I'd go for the handsome set of all 10 tpbs in new binding that can be found on Amazon for $125: http://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Slipca...ywords=sandman
    So that's what you scamps forgot to buy me for Christmas ...
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  11. #1796
    Ex-Cheeks Reptisaurus!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Iowa City I-AAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Posts
    5,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    No, I'm there with you. Seasons of Mist is definitely up there for me.

    I think I'd rank the series as follows:

    1. Fables and Reflections
    2. Brief Lives
    3. Season of Mists
    4. Preludes and Nocturnes
    5. The Kindly Ones
    6. The Wake
    7. Dream Country
    8. A Game of You
    9. World's End
    10. The Doll's House
    Huh.

    Tier 1.
    1. Endless Nights. It was always pretty, and the Desire story is one of my ten-or-so favorite short stories ever.
    2. Kindly Ones.
    3. A Game of You. (Would be # 1 except for the art hiccups.)
    Tier 2.
    4. Dolls House
    5. Season of Mists
    6. Dream Country (Loses a place for mischaracterization of Element Girl. I take mischaracterization of Element Girl VERY seriously.)
    7. World's End
    8. The Wake
    9. Fables and Reflections
    10. Brief Lives. (ALMOST higher for the chocolate lovers.)
    Tier 3.
    11. Preludes and Nocturnes. (Actually, like, Tier 5.)
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

  12. #1797
    Run Runner shaxper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    6,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    So that's what you scamps forgot to buy me for Christmas ...
    Sorry. I was out looking for Brother Power: The Geek #3 and, failing that, a nice Omnibus edition of Sgt. Fury Annual #4...

  13. #1798
    Run Runner shaxper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    6,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Huh.

    Tier 1.
    1. Endless Nights. It was always pretty, and the Desire story is one of my ten-or-so favorite short stories ever.
    2. Kindly Ones.
    3. A Game of You. (Would be # 1 except for the art hiccups.)
    Tier 2.
    4. Dolls House
    5. Season of Mists
    6. Dream Country (Loses a place for mischaracterization of Element Girl. I take mischaracterization of Element Girl VERY seriously.)
    7. World's End
    8. The Wake
    9. Fables and Reflections
    10. Brief Lives. (ALMOST higher for the chocolate lovers.)

    Tier 3.
    11. Preludes and Nocturnes. (Actually, like, Tier 5.)
    Fascinating. I'd say "to each his own," but I suppose that's an obvious statement to make here.

    Then again, I'm often known for having interesting, yet rarely popular opinions. I'm willing to bet the majority of fans would take your side on this one.

  14. #1799
    Ex-Cheeks Reptisaurus!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Iowa City I-AAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Posts
    5,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    I read some of my old Marvel Team Ups yesterday. Most were written by JM DeMatteis, one of my favorite writers. Most were also pencilled by Kerry Gammill. He's a penciller I have always really enjoyed but I can't recall if he was ever a "superstar" or not. I think he's great but I rarely see him mentioned in the same breath as others. If he's a total rip off of someone else or there's some other skeleton in the closet, I am not well versed enough to know.
    Hooray for Frog Man!
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

  15. #1800
    Senior Member mrc1214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    Hollywood Superstars by Evanier and Spiegle

    I picked this up because MWGallaher posted about it in the Christmas thread. I've never heard of it but it just seemed like something I would like. Great read do yourself a favor and spend the couple of bucks itll cost you.
    Last edited by mrc1214; 01-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •