Page 120 of 232 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 3476

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Oh yeah, I read that as well. I tended to like all the girl-preferred arcs - Game Of You, Doll's House, and Kindly Ones are my three favorites. It must be all that time I spent trying to touch my feminine side.
    Seasons of Mist is still my fave, but that may be because it was the first one I read.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I've been reading through the various Archie titles I got from Scott Harris in the Classic Comics Exchange. Looking at them now, even though they cover about 15 years, I'm surprised that while I used to see them all as the same "house style", there's really a lot of variation among the different (anonymous, 'til around '80) artists.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe

I've read hundreds of fanzines and prozines with thousands of interviews with creators. And I've read dozens of books covering largely the same subject matter. So it's, frankly, kind of hard to surprise me in a book like this. Moreover, it's gotten increasingly hard for someone to write such a book that I don't pick apart for some fairly blatant errors.

Howe managed to keep my interest with no problem whatsoever, not include any egregious errors (that I noticed) and put in a thing or three that I wasn't actually aware of before picking up the book. The new knowledge was largely concentrated in the very early days of Marvel (I wasn't super familiar with Martin Goodman's early life) and in the post-Shooter years (because I've never really been arsed to care) but they were there and that's a good thing.

One thing to the good is that I think Howe took a reasonably nonpartisan tack in the increasingly tedious Stan vs. Jack debate, which I greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Seasons of Mist is still my fave, but that may be because it was the first one I read.
    No, I'm there with you. Seasons of Mist is definitely up there for me.

I think I'd rank the series as follows:

1. Fables and Reflections
    2. Brief Lives
    3. Season of Mists
    4. Preludes and Nocturnes
    5. The Kindly Ones
    6. The Wake
    7. Dream Country
    8. A Game of You
    9. World's End
    10. The Doll's House

Don't forget the Endless Nights book that came out afterwards!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I read some of my old Marvel Team Ups yesterday. Most were written by JM DeMatteis, one of my favorite writers. Most were also pencilled by Kerry Gammill. He's a penciller I have always really enjoyed but I can't recall if he was ever a "superstar" or not. I think he's great but I rarely see him mentioned in the same breath as others. If he's a total rip off of someone else or there's some other skeleton in the closet, I am not well versed enough to know.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Gammill suffered from being a very slow penciller, so it was hard for him to keep a monthly gig and get the exposure needed to be a superstar. He did some bi-monthly books (I think he was a regular for a time on Power Man and Iron Fist) and did a few Superman related projects, but he never had enough high profile stuff out there to achieve any kind of star status because of the rate at which he produced work. It's easier these days for slower artists to achieve that status (see John Cassaday) because of the it will be collected in trade mentality that permeates projects, and rotating artistic teams on monthly books to keep the schedule.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Don't forget the Endless Nights book that came out afterwards!
    Still in the process of reading it! I was underwhelmed by the Death story, and that's made me a bit hesitant to keep going. I don't want my final Gaiman Sandman story to disappoint me.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteMike72 View Post
    I always wonder what the X-Men would have become if Brent Anderson would have been the regular artist on the book all them years ago.
    I really liked his art on this graphic novel and the few other issues and annuals he did.
    Yes! I would much rather have had him on the book than JRJR, or even Cockrum. #144 & 160 look fantastic.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    If I didn't already have the series, I'd go for the handsome set of all 10 tpbs in new binding that can be found on Amazon for $125: http://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Slipca...ywords=sandman
    So that's what you scamps forgot to buy me for Christmas ...
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    No, I'm there with you. Seasons of Mist is definitely up there for me.

I think I'd rank the series as follows:

1. Fables and Reflections
    2. Brief Lives
    3. Season of Mists
    4. Preludes and Nocturnes
    5. The Kindly Ones
    6. The Wake
    7. Dream Country
    8. A Game of You
    9. World's End
    10. The Doll's House
    Huh.

Tier 1.
    1. Endless Nights. It was always pretty, and the Desire story is one of my ten-or-so favorite short stories ever.
    2. Kindly Ones.
    3. A Game of You. (Would be # 1 except for the art hiccups.)
    Tier 2.
    4. Dolls House
    5. Season of Mists
    6. Dream Country (Loses a place for mischaracterization of Element Girl. I take mischaracterization of Element Girl VERY seriously.)
    7. World's End
    8. The Wake
    9. Fables and Reflections
    10. Brief Lives. (ALMOST higher for the chocolate lovers.)
    Tier 3.
    11. Preludes and Nocturnes. (Actually, like, Tier 5.)
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    So that's what you scamps forgot to buy me for Christmas ...
    Sorry. I was out looking for Brother Power: The Geek #3 and, failing that, a nice Omnibus edition of Sgt. Fury Annual #4...

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Huh.

Tier 1.
    1. Endless Nights. It was always pretty, and the Desire story is one of my ten-or-so favorite short stories ever.
    2. Kindly Ones.
    3. A Game of You. (Would be # 1 except for the art hiccups.)
    Tier 2.
    4. Dolls House
    5. Season of Mists
    6. Dream Country (Loses a place for mischaracterization of Element Girl. I take mischaracterization of Element Girl VERY seriously.)
    7. World's End
    8. The Wake
    9. Fables and Reflections
    10. Brief Lives. (ALMOST higher for the chocolate lovers.)

Tier 3.
    11. Preludes and Nocturnes. (Actually, like, Tier 5.)
    Fascinating. I'd say "to each his own," but I suppose that's an obvious statement to make here.

Then again, I'm often known for having interesting, yet rarely popular opinions. I'm willing to bet the majority of fans would take your side on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    I read some of my old Marvel Team Ups yesterday. Most were written by JM DeMatteis, one of my favorite writers. Most were also pencilled by Kerry Gammill. He's a penciller I have always really enjoyed but I can't recall if he was ever a "superstar" or not. I think he's great but I rarely see him mentioned in the same breath as others. If he's a total rip off of someone else or there's some other skeleton in the closet, I am not well versed enough to know.
    Hooray for Frog Man!
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Hollywood Superstars by Evanier and Spiegle

I picked this up because MWGallaher posted about it in the Christmas thread. I've never heard of it but it just seemed like something I would like. Great read do yourself a favor and spend the couple of bucks itll cost you.
    Last edited by mrc1214; 01-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.