Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 3475
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

One of my favorites of Tezuka.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Otchofriend View Post
    [IMG]One of my favorites of Tezuka.
    Dororo is so weird! Definitely in my top three Tezuka works (along with Buddha and random volumes of Phoenix).

I managed to pick up and read David B.'s Babel today. He's definitely my favorite living non-American cartoonist and would easily sneak into any top 5 countdown of anything I'd ever have. Babel, released in America by D&Q, is a great 32 page book (with cardstock cover and a dust jacket!) containing exactly what you'd expect from B.: dreams, historical dramas, and youthful autobiographies, all executed with his usual wet splotches of ink and rampant psychological monsters. Since I managed to pick it up for under five bucks, I feel pretty lucky.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

DC Special #29
    The untold origin of the Justice Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I think he did a really good job in bringing out Peter and his family's raw emotions after it turned out that his "parents" were really cyborg doppelgangers sent to kill him.
    I have never read the story in question, but this sentence gave me the best laugh I've had all week. Thank you

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I'm currently halfway through the Showcase presents volume of The Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 3.

Quick impressions:

(a) I feared the lack of color would affect my enjoyment of these stories, which are after all about a colorful cast of young heroes. It didn't! The art is crisp and clean, and doesn't really need color to shine.

(b) I am turning into a Curt Swan fan. I already respected Mr. Swan's art, but here I am amazed by it. The anatomy is perfect, the designs are far cooler than, say, Jim Lee's, the storytelling is flawless.

(c) Teenage writer Jim Shooter was extremely good. A little too much exposition in the dialog, but the concepts developed are very good; he throws as much stuff at us in twenty pages as
    current publishers would in five years.

No wonder that was the Legion's golden age. Lots of wonder, lots of adventure, and none of the mind-numbing repeated continuity changes of later years (or unending tragedy and angst). I think I'll pick up more of these volumes!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Hansi, The Girl Who Loved the Swastika

Okay, I'll admit I bought this as a joke at the Lake Effect Comic Convention today, but when I got home, I just had to read it. Here's the weird part -- it was good.

For those who don't know the story on this one, it was put out by Spire Christian Comics in the 1970s, but rather than working to support some clear talking point on behalf of the (or a) Christian Church, it's a pretty heavy and thoughtful book about soul-searching, and while the ending inevitably comes heavy-handed, the rest of Hansi's struggle to believe in both a country and a God is pretty thought-provoking and respectful of the reader's intelligence. Heck, I was impressed when the first sign of trouble in the book is Hansi responding to a Nazi talking about the evils of Jews by pointing out that Jesus had been a Jew. You won't find that in most Church propaganda. Add to that one disturbingly real mass rape scene by Russian soldiers and a pretty balanced critique of American culture by the close, and you have yourself one pretty impressive book. I have to admit I'll be reading this one again.

And, for those of you who are wondering, no, the book does not support Nazism. It's a morality tale in which Hansi goes down the wrong path and must learn from her mistake.

EDIT: I wonder what the print run on these books was. I can't imagine a Christian comic book (no matter how good) with a 39 cent price tag in 1976 was going to entice most retailers to give it shelf space.
    Last edited by shaxper; 06-03-2012 at 08:08 PM.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

And of course it was drawn by Al Hartley of Archie Comics fame, who also drew several other books for Spire, some, IIRC, featuring the Archie cast. (And who, oddly enough, drew the oldest Marvel superhero comic I ever owned -- Journey Into Mystery #90.)

I have a vague memory of someone here -- or maybe it was in Scott Shaw!'s old Oddball forum -- saying that his dad worked for these guys. Or maybe it was another Chrsitan comics company. Or maybe I'm nuts. (Not that any of those scenarios are mutually exclusive by any means.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    And of course it was drawn by Al Hartley of Archie Comics fame, who also drew several other books for Spire, some, IIRC, featuring the Archie cast.
    Yes, and, in fact, there's a soldier seen reading an Archie comic in the story.

Or maybe I'm nuts. (Not that any of those scenarios are mutually exclusive by any means.)
    And we like you that way.

I think the Spire comics may have had alternative distribution. They seem to fetch a bit more than Archies from the time but besides the one in question are all still on the low end of the price spectrum. I had a few that I got out of bargain bins when I was a kid. You never know though, those Chick Tracts have print runs in the millions I believe.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Reading Marvel Team-Up, starting at Claremont/Byrne and then moving through all the way to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    And of course it was drawn by Al Hartley of Archie Comics fame, who also drew several other books for Spire, some, IIRC, featuring the Archie cast. (And who, oddly enough, drew the oldest Marvel superhero comic I ever owned -- Journey Into Mystery #90.)

I have a vague memory of someone here -- or maybe it was in Scott Shaw!'s old Oddball forum -- saying that his dad worked for these guys. Or maybe it was another Chrsitan comics company. Or maybe I'm nuts. (Not that any of those scenarios are mutually exclusive by any means.)
    You may indeed be nuts, but your memory is pretty good. My father worked for Logos, a Christian publisher who put out four comic books in 1974-75 in an attempt to duplicate the (relative) success of Spire. Scott Shaw! featured a Logos comic in his column once, and I gave him some background info.

Al Hartley was the editor and primary writer & artist on the Spire comics. They were able to license the Archie characters because of the personal relationship between Hartley and John Goldwater, but the Spire comics were published by the Fleming H. Revell Co., a longtime religious publisher. The Spire and Logos comics were distributed thru Christian publishing channels, not thru the usual comics distributors and retailers.
    --
    Rob Allen

I finished reading the Best of Archie Comics compilation and it was uniformly excellent. What really surprised me, though, was just how good the chapter of Archie Marries Veronica they included was. I ended up picking up the latest issue of Life with Archie att he book store tonight and I have to say it was fantastic! Life with Archie basically contains two full length comic stories in each issue -- one in the alternate universe where Archie married Veronica, and one in the alternate universe where he married Betty. (and by the way, these 40 pages of comic goodness cost $3.99, making it a better deal than a lot of stuff being put out by marvel and DC)

Anyway, these stories are pure 100% soap opera. In this issue of the Veronica series, Veronica has served Archie with divorce papers because her father gave her proof that Archie had been paid to marry her. But when Archie is injured in a mine cave in, she rushes to his bedside, realizing where her true heart lies. Just one problem: She was currently under arrest for not paying a shopping bill in L.A. and had to skip bail to return to Riverdale! And that's just the set up for the story.

Best soap opera I've read since Night Nurse and I mean that as a compliment. The fact that it features the Riverdale gang, who have fairly complex histories we're all familiar with, just makes the storylines resonate even more. Excellent stuff.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Superman: Victory by Computer (1981 Radio Shack Give-Away)

I just had to grab this when I found it in a 29 cent bin the other week.

It's every bit as bad as you'd expect and definitely feels like an extremely corny sales pitch for a (then) cutting edge home computer, milking its guest celebrities (Superman and Supergirl) for all they're worth, but the surprising fun of this issue was the pages upon pages it took to explain how computers actually work by having students tour a museum that blew a computer's interiors up to an over-sized scale.

The combination of surprisingly useful info about how computers work and the sheer nostalgic appeal of reading about incredibly old tech (btw -- this comic sort of anticipates the internet in its promises of what you'll be able to do with the TRS-80 modem) made this a very fun read, especially as you come to realize that the ludicrous claims they were making for what the TRS-80 would be able to do back then are the very things our computers and electronic devices do effortlessly today. I particularly enjoyed the scene in which the students race to research a topic over the modem faster than Supergirl can pull the info from the Daily Planet Archives.

I was surprised to realize, part way through, that this was a sequel to an earlier shameless promotional comic for the same TRS-80 computer system. I just may have to check it out.
    Last edited by shaxper; 06-07-2012 at 12:56 PM.

I just finished The New Teen Titans Annual #1. The end to one of my favorite story lines. That started with the introduction of Starfire's sister, Blackfire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0a0aa5e1-97fd-487d-89ad-17cd78321997.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	94658

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Superman: Victory by Computer (1981 Radio Shack Give-Away)
    Radio Shack put out a lot of comic books in the 70s and 80s. Those "Whiz Kids" appeared in a lot of them. I'm not sure how to find the ones that were published by DC, but you can find links to the ones that RS did themselves here:

http://www.comics.org/publisher/name...ck/sort/alpha/
    --
    Rob Allen