Page 69 of 233 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 3492

Quote Originally Posted by CromagnonMan View Post
    I like it. It suffers a bit from 90's plot dangling but it has good characterisation, much more focus on what makes characters tick than comics today i feel.
    to each their own.

it does seem to get slightly better after DeMatteis' abysmal run though.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    to each their own.

it does seem to get slightly better after DeMatteis' abysmal run though.
    I thought DeMatteis actually did a pretty solid job. Haven, at least, was an interesting villain, and the characterization was consistant with David's. Where it went to hell was those issues that straddled the end of DeMatteis' run before JF Moore took over. It was one of Todd DeZago's first jobs, and he wasn't really ready for the big time yet, so you get things like Guido's inexplicable and inpentrable "Brooklyn" accent.

Speaking of DeMatteis, I read through the Amazing Spiderman issues that I got the other day (390-93). I think he did a really good job in bringing out Peter and his family's raw emotions after it turned out that his "parents" were really cyborg doppelgangers sent to kill him. Coupled with Mark Bagley's excellent art, it all seemed like I was watching a live action movie. I also think that it's a shame that Shriek hasn't been used more; her ability to warp people's emotions could really generate some interesting stories.

There's also some Clone Saga foreshadowing with Ben Reilly (you don't see his face or know his name then) visiting Gwen Stacy's grave and Peter's old high school. Such a quaint beginning for one of Spiderman's biggest stories.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

Shreik was just in the recent CARNAGE mini, which was good. Good enough to warrant the CARNAGE USA mini.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Shreik was just in the recent CARNAGE mini, which was good. Good enough to warrant the CARNAGE USA mini.
    Yeah, I definitely have those stories (although I haven't been able to get my hands on issue five of Carnage USA, I might just buy it off Amazon). Minimum Carnage should be interesting.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

I read The Rocketeer. Nice art but as for the story..what is all the fuss about? I found it basically just ripped off Spider man but instead of having spider powers he has a rocket pack.

Probably wont read this again, anyway.

I read The Rocketeer. Nice art but as for the story..what is all the fuss about? I found it basically just ripped off Spider man but instead of having spider powers he has a rocket pack.

Probably wont read this again, anyway.

I don't see the "ripped off Spider-man" at all. Rocketeer is a straight-up homage to the pop culture of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Cliff Secord is a race pilot and barnstormer not a mopey high schooler. He puts on the jetpack and flies around because it's fun and the right thing to do not because "with great power comes great responsibility."

While the art is the selling point, the stories are a lot of fun. Much the way watching old serials is a lot of fun.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    I don't see the "ripped off Spider-man" at all. Rocketeer is a straight-up homage to the pop culture of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Cliff Secord is a race pilot and barnstormer not a mopey high schooler. He puts on the jetpack and flies around because it's fun and the right thing to do not because "with great power comes great responsibility."
    Well, yeah, but other than that ...

Also, if you can't recognize that Peevy is a straight-up ripoff of J. Jonah Jameson, there's absolutely no hope for you!

(If memory serves, CroMagnon Man has said he didn't get much out of the Lee-Ditko Spider-Man. The evidence of that is now overwhelming.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 05-22-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I just read The Golden Age by James Robinson and Paul Smith:

I'm not sure why it took me almost 20 years to get this series, but it's just as good as everyone said. Actually, in a way I'm glad I waited because even though this is an Elseworlds story, it draws very extensively on All-Star Squadron, which I hadn't read until just a few months ago. Anyone who enjoyed All-Star Squadron, if you haven't read this I urge you to pick it up right away. It's pretty much a direct sequel to All-Star Squadron, showing what happened to the team after the end of World War II (or... what happened to an alternate version of them, I guess).

It also was Robinson's gateway into the Golden Age stuff he later wrote in Starman. Pretty much all the stuff he does with Ted Knight in Golden Age is carried over into "real" continuity in Starman, so even though this is technically an Elseworlds, at least the stuff with Ted Knight ended up becoming canon. Or maybe some of it had already been established at some point, though I don't recall seeing any of it elsewhere.

Anyway, a very good read. Anyone who likes Starman or All-Star Squadron, this is a must read as it sort of forms the bridge between the two.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

I have thought some more and rather than say the Rocketeer is "like Spider man" ill say the story ideas are borrowed from Stan Lee super hero writing generally:

similarities of Rocketeer to Spider man or Stan Lee superheroes in general:

-The way Cliff acts-dumb but somehow always manages to figure things out
    -the convenient way things happen (he finds the rocket pack hidden by criminals in his plane)
    -the way he plans to use the rocket pack to get money to impress his girl but *oh dear*he ends up having an adventure instead
    -he often uses the excuse he has "no choice" other than to play the hero-Stan Lee super heroes usual internal monologue
    -he doesnt know what to do and says "what do i do now" while hanging to the wing of an airplane at high speed then somehow works it out and accidentally ends up saving the day
    -this ones for dan bailey - his boss at the air show is j jonah jameson, not peevy!
    -general corniness, the villains ride out of the hangar after kidnapping Bettie and shes sat in full view of the car window gagged - haha
    -his plan is to clear his name by escaping from arrest and saving the plane yeah, like how does that argument work?
    -he is in hospital and over earnestly needs to save his relationship with Bettie and subsequently causes more trouble for himself with the authorities by blowing up the hospital room with his jet pack-cant he wait until hes better- this is just like Spider man!

i feel this story is not good writing. it borrows heavily from Marvels style of Super hero storytelling, and it seems maybe the writer hadnt read many comics other than Marvel superheroes. (Now im just begging for somebody to shoot me down and write extensively how Dave Stevens was the worlds greatest comic fan who had read every comic ever published. But oh well this is the risk of putting your dubious personal opinions on line i suppose).
    Last edited by CromagnonMan; 05-22-2012 at 10:09 AM.

I was just yanking your chain, CM, as is my wont; I do it because I love. Just ask Cei-U!, Confessor & my numerous other pals here.*

In truth, you've now read more Rocketeer than I have. (I obtained a used copy of the non-deluxe Complete Collection hardcover just a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to delve into it. Heck, the two issues I've read of the recent Rocketeer Adventures constitute most of my exposure to the character. Haven't even seen the movie, though I'm pretty sure I own it on VHS.)

*Wait. Perhaps I should rethink posts about yanking chains & love, considering the DC-turning-superhero-gay thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 05-22-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

As others have posted above, Stevens wasnt copying Stan when he created the character, but paying homage to the "serial" type adventure story. As were Lucas and Spielberg with the creation of Raiders of the Lost Ark which may have been a bigger influence given its release and massive popularity a few years before the publication of the Rocketeer.
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

well, i just finished the 2nd story in the Complete Rocketeer "Cliff's New York Adventure", its tons better than the first story, so i guess im wrong..i admit it!

so i guess im wrong..i admit it!
    That violates so many tenets of basic netiquette that I don't even know where to begin.

-- Reptisaurus!

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

I'm currently taking a break from reading through a load of Silver Age Captain America and have instead just read all three of Dark Horse's Star Wars: Crimson Empire mini-series -- the first two story arcs I read over a decade ago and the final mini has only just finished publication. All in all these were a pretty good read without ever coming close to being essential Star Wars comics. The first Crimson Empire mini-series is still the best IMO.

Tonight I start an epic re-reading of all 32 issues of Justice, from Marvel's New Universe experiment. I haven't read the whole series since the late '80s, but I remember loving it back in the day. Well, at least I loved it until they completely retconned the hero's origin half way through the run. It'll be interesting to see what I make of this series all these years later.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man