Page 1 of 232 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default What Classic Comic Have You Read Lately? Pt. 2

Continuing from the previous thread...

What have you read within the last week or so?
    Was it any good?
    What did you like/dislike?
    Is it worth tracking down?
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

WOOHOO!!! Thread 2!

I have to finish the latest Swamp Thing HC... hopefully by this weekend...
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

The past few days, I've read:

UFO & Outer Space #14
    Not the best issue of the series, as it is a reprint from a 1972 issues. I was quite intrigued by the "Who is Killing Our Astronauts" story. Conspiracy nuts take notice.

Secret Origins #2
    A terrific tale of the Blue Beetles. A valiant attempt to make sense of Derby logic. Nice Kane art throughout.

Four Star Spectacular #5
    Some solid reprints. Lots of stuff for George Papp fans, and the Howard Sherman art on the Vigilante story was the best I have seen from him. A nice, Meskinesque weight to the inks.

Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    The past few days, I've read:

UFO & Outer Space #14
    Not the best issue of the series, as it is a reprint from a 1972 issues. I was quite intrigued by the "Who is Killing Our Astronauts" story. Conspiracy nuts take notice.

Secret Origins #2
    A terrific tale of the Blue Beetles. A valiant attempt to make sense of Derby logic. Nice Kane art throughout.

Four Star Spectacular #5
    Some solid reprints. Lots of stuff for George Papp fans, and the Howard Sherman art on the Vigilante story was the best I have seen from him. A nice, Meskinesque weight to the inks.

Lone Ranger - I love that Blue Beetle story. And one of my favorite series as well.

Know any good Tarzan trades and who owns the license currently?
    Would really like to see some new Tarzan comics.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Been working through Flash Showcase vol 2--story's are OK, but these are some of the best-looking comics ever.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    Been working through Flash Showcase vol 2--story's are OK, but these are some of the best-looking comics ever.
    Who's the artist? Infantino?

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    Know any good Tarzan trades and who owns the license currently?
    Would really like to see some new Tarzan comics.
    Good question. Maybe Dark Horse, given it's re-releasing of the Gold Key Jesse Marsh material.

Quote Originally Posted by benday-dot View Post
    Good question. Maybe Dark Horse, given it's re-releasing of the Gold Key Jesse Marsh material.
    They released those Kubert Tarzan hardcovers not too long ago, so they probably do have the license

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Replying to the last post of the old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by infeerno
    Marvel Premiere #35-37 (1977) -- These three issues were the debut of 3-D Man, a retro superhero set in the late 1950s. 3-D Man was fighting Skrulls who were trying to tear apart American society by posing as Communist spies, as Richard Nixon, and by inserting subliminal messages into rock music. Some of my favorite comics are ones like these that provide a more accurate take on geopolitics and cosmology than anything on television or the popular press so this got a definite thumbs-up from me.

I love these three issues of Marvel Premiere featuring 3-D Man. I agree that some of the storytelling is a little flawed and the whole "guy trapped in a pair of spectacles" thing is hokey beyond belief but nonetheless, they are hugely enjoyable comics. I was pleased to see the character make a reappearance and hand over the mantle of 3-D Man to Delroy Garrett in the Secret Invasion event a few years back.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla lives! View Post
    Who's the artist? Infantino?
    You bet!

(10 characters)
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

i was sorting through a comic box and came across adventure comics #282 from 1961. as it was only attached by the upper staple i decided to use it as a reader before giving it away and as i don't often do reviews, i thought i would review the issue below….

“Lana Lang And The Legion Of Super-Heroes”

the storyline is a familiar and tired one; lana lang wants to make superboy jealous (with the accompanying tears), so this time she blackmails another superhero, ‘star-boy’ from the planet xanthu, to make her beloved superboy mad with jealousy.

not realizing superboy has overheard her latest scheme, the superboy of steel, plays along and after lana convinces her parents to allow her to travel to the future, superboy tags along and the well-worn formula of lana manipulating superboy and star-boy, hashes out in one hair-brained scheme after another until superboy uses zynthia (star boy’s girlfriend) to make lana jealous, where crying again she confesses her trickery and superboy takes her back to earth, where she asks him to take her to the “teen time” dance and he rebuffs her and flies away saying he has lots of ‘super-jobs’ to catch up with.

the storyline takes up an agonizing 12 pages and finishes with a banner “The Best Comics Superman Dc National Comics Are Still 10c”.

the second story stars ‘Aquaman And Aqualad’ in “One Hour To Doom” in which aquaman teaches aqualad an important lesson while operating on his various sea creatures, seen in one hilarious sequence in which a huge manta ray is hit by a ship and aquaman gets his ‘finger-squid interns’ to operate on the ray and reassures a man at a lighthouse that he is “a mailman, police-man, doctor, fireman’ when he is on patrol!

overall 3/5 for the aquaman story and 1/5 for the superboy/lana lang/star-boy story.
    Last edited by zryson; 06-18-2011 at 07:05 AM.

I was feeling somewhat whimsical last night and pulled out Legion of Superheroes 300 and LSH 45 (Deluxe series).

Two anniversary issues with lots of guest artists.

300 is the a spiritual sequel to the Adult Legion story done back in the 60s. This bad boy was over 50 pages long. The story was very dense but fun and you get pages from Cockrum, Giffen, James Sherman and Joe Staton.

LSH 45 was the 30th anniversary issue and this one also approached 50 pages. The guest spots are short, most of the issue is done by Greg Laroque (sp?), but you get Cockrum again, Grell, and Giffen (switching to his blocky period).

Issues with guest artists galore tend to be choppy affairs but credit to Paul Levitz for keeping things coherent in both issues. Using multi-artists actually enhanced each story.

My re-reads did nothing to change the fact that I could read the Levitz-era Legion all day and all night.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Daredevil (Miller run) from 158up....have gotten to 175 so far.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I finally finished the first two Dark Horse "Star Wars: A Long Time Ago..." omnibuses. They collect the Marvel comics up to issue 48, and I blame my purchase of them entirely on Confessor.

Roy Thomas begins the series, and he's a writer I've never really enjoyed. Once Goodwin starts writing, though, I was fully drawn in. The stuff with Jabba the Hut, the Wheel, Valance the cyborg, and the Tagge family were great, and of course I loved the Al Williamson art in the Empire Strikes Back adaptation.

The omnibus only had a few issues after Empire, but they definitely seemed to lose steam. Other writers stepped in, including Larry Hama and "Wally Lombego" who I understand is JM DeMatties writing under a pseudonym. Does anyone know how much of that Cody Sunn-Childe issue got rewritten? Some of the dialogue was atrocious.

I will say that the Mike Barr/Walt Simonson issue, "The Last Jedi," was the only one that lived up to Goodwin's work. Does Goodwin come back to full-time on the title after this? Should I buy the next omnibus?