Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - Jun 14, 2011

Which of those 52 DC Comics books is Augie thinking of reading? Marvel Marketing never stood a chance. And yet another Lewis Trondheim autobiography!

Full article here.

Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar

Default Marvel marketing didn't stand a chance...really?

I don't think Marvel Marketing has anything to worry about here. The problem with your argument is that you think Marvel needs to have something to announce. I just don't see it that way. DC is stepping up it's game because they haven't come out on top in the market share in years. And considering the backlash that I've seen, I really don't think that Marvel will have anything to worry about. I do think DC has a shot at winning a month or two of the Market Share, but honestly, if you release 52 #1's and you can't win the month, there is something wrong.

On second hand, maybe Marvel Marketing should announce that Fear Itself #2 outsold Flashpoint #1?

Quote Originally Posted by tesh_karde View Post

On second hand, maybe Marvel Marketing should announce that Fear Itself #2 outsold Flashpoint #1?
    Really? It's a pyrrhic victory, at best. It's been revealed that Flashpoint #1 was under-ordered, and that Fear Itself lost 32,000 readers between #1 and #2, and didn't even crack 100K copies.

Marvel Marketing actually wants people to stop talking about it.
    Last edited by FIFTY-TWO (52); 06-14-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

For me:

DC Relaunch =
    A good point to drop my last few monthly DC comics. I am down to only the 3 Green Lantern monthlies, and have been looking for an opportunity to swtich to TPB reading. Then again, if the new stories get bad reviews, it's possible I'll pass on the trades too.

Joe Mad on Spider-man=
    Buying my first monthly Marvel comic in years.

Without a doubt, DC has plans for their in-house talent and more books. I was too surprised to not see Scott, Igle, or Robinson attached to anything at all. Say what you will, but that's some nice talent there. I'm almost certain some Flashpoint characters will make their way into the DCU, besides the one that we've seen.

"Hawk and Dove" is an easy sell due to Rob Liefeld's artwork. Period."

I have one question: WHY?!
    V: I'm the good kind of terrorist. The kind that tortures people and blows things up. ...wait.

Alan Moore: I'm a bloody genius!

comic fan from Slovakia Hromovlad's Avatar

Only time will tell if DC's decision was a good one, but I wouldn't be so pessimistic as some people on this site

While it's true that comic sites are mostly showing a backlash from the current fans, they aren't the only audience.
    Recently I've been encountering people on gaming, anime, and cartoon sites, who've been showing interest in the reboot.
    People who say that they've been long time fans of the characters, but never got into the comics, because they were intimidated by the lack of a jumping-on point.
    People who say that they are going to use the relaunch as a chance for them to give the comics a try, and maybe jump on board.

When in 2000 Marvel started the Ultimate line, it brought in a new audience to the comic medium
    The re-launch might be this for DC
    The core fanbase is rapidly shrinking anyways, so why bother? DC has nothing to loose.

In other news, I'm a huge fan of Lewis Trondheim, but his auto-biographies never interested me that much

Quote Originally Posted by Borngamer View Post

The man has allot of ironic fans
    People who buy him BECAUSE he's bad, a bit like the B movie fans
    I'm from middle-Europe.
    This is where I get my comics from.
    My experiences with comics are different than yours.
    Live with it!

Yeah, see above. The last time that Teen Titans as an existing series right now was a huge, huge seller was when he came on board. Marvel bent over backwards to give him a new X-Force series a few years back, and then another one starring Shatterstar.

People buy his work, somehow. I don't even think it's ironic or anything like that, some people just love his work - the bizarre proportions, the insane faces, the lot. Some just have no taste - that's how Uncanny X-Men manages to be a best-seller still despite Greg Land's 'artwork' running it into the ground.

comic fan from Slovakia Hromovlad's Avatar

To be honest, I do like Liefeld's over-the-top proportions
    It just adds this unique individual charm, especially when juxtaposed to huge guns and explosions
    Adds that certain 80s Action B movie, or even grindhouse feel to the comic

His faliure as an artist comes more from his inability to properly use perspectives, movement, or even physical interaction
    I'm from middle-Europe.
    This is where I get my comics from.
    My experiences with comics are different than yours.
    Live with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hromovlad View Post
    To be honest, I do like Liefeld's over-the-top proportions
    It just adds this unique individual charm, especially when juxtaposed to huge guns and explosions
    Adds that certain 80s Action B movie, or even grindhouse feel to the comic

His faliure as an artist comes more from his inability to properly use perspectives, movement, or even physical interaction
    I've said this before-

Rob Liefeld's work has a lot of energy to it. When you buy one of his books, you know that you're getting an action book. And I think that's something a lot of books lack.

Personally, I'd love to see a Morrison/Liefeld book. Now there's something to crack the internet in half.

1) FYI - The link directly to this msg bd at the contact area at the bottom of the article is busted.

Now...

The marketing thing is true - DC OWNED the news cycles over the last few weeks. However it doesn't matter much. How many of those #1 will a) sell well, b) last over a year, and besides c) they are all coming out in the same month! They'll be fighting each other for fans' $$$. Plus the Marvel stories that made the news (the 2 biggest being the Uncanny ending and the new Spidey book) aren't launching in September. So there is plenty of time for retailers and customers to get their orders in and have them well hyped up.

On the relaunch, and this is just me: I'm not really interested in any of them. MAYBE I'll try a tpb of the JL if I hear good things but that hc or tpb won't be out for 10 months from now at the earliest. I already read the GL books in HC so I'll more than likely continue to do that. The DC Dark (or whatever it's called) with Madame Xanadu holds mild interest for me, so I may sample it.

I'm also curious to see the DC solicits 5/6 months from now when they have 50 new collected editions! EEK!!!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I'm an old school fanboy.

Plus, he's not busy phototracing the crap out of every panel.

-Augie