Page 59 of 98 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    1. No, once you pay the annual fee you'll have access to all the comics availiable for no extra price, it's not like Comixology where you buy issues individually (but have access to them forever). You'll only have to pay again when you sub runs out in a year. The main payoff of Comixology vs Unlimited is that the latter is limited to comic from 6 months ago or more, but it sounds like that won't be an issue for you anyway.

2. There's sizable runs of comics availiable but I don't think everything is complete on there. But in your example I'd say you'd have a fairly good chance of finding something from say the JMS ASM run in it's entirely. And most of the 60's/70's stuff is up on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Think of MDCU as a library, and Comixology as a store. The MDCU library is all-you-can-eat for one annual fee, but the selection is somewhat older; Comixology's selection is made up of the latest and greatest issues off the shelf, but you have to pay per issue.

Thanks guys.. I haven't even gone to my local comic shop to see what they have. I have checked out the comixology site and from what I gather, I can buy an issue and then if I want it in print form, I just have it sent to the store.

Marvel Unlimited maybe the way a go just for finacial reasons. A one time pay deal for the year could hold me over cause I'm not gonna be buying comics every week digital or print. I'm looking into more trades anyway.

Hey guys,

I am moving and am considering switching to digital. I am usually a TPB waiter and get them discounted on Amazon. I don't have a lot of money to spend on comics. What are my options for switching over? I read almost all Marvel titles with a few DC.

Let me know. Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks!!!!
    My Canon > Your Canon

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Hey guys,

I am moving and am considering switching to digital. I am usually a TPB waiter and get them discounted on Amazon. I don't have a lot of money to spend on comics. What are my options for switching over? I read almost all Marvel titles with a few DC.

Thanks!!!!
    Comixology is pretty much the one and only digital comics retailer. Virtually every book that hits the store shelves is sold day-and-date on Comixology. Everything releases at cover price initially, but the price of non-Marvel books drops after one month, and the price of Marvel books drops whenever Marvel feels like it.

The only major publisher who doesn't sell through Comixology is Dark Horse. They have their own separate store (here). Like Comixology, they release pretty much everything at cover price, but drop the prices after one month.

Marvel has another program called "Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited", but it's very different. For a flat monthly or annual fee, you get full access to a huge library of digital back issues, including a lot of complete runs. It's an older service, but Marvel still maintains it, and they add to the library every day. It's a great way to dive into Marvel's enormous back catalog on the cheap, as long as you don't mind reading comics in a web browser.
    Last edited by RockyBanks; 12-06-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Hey guys,

Thanks!!!!
    Since you are a trade waiter, waiting for the DC books to drop in price shouldn't be an issue.

Marvel also has .99 cent sales on Monday and Friday where they offer runs of books. Like this week, I picked up all 12 issues of Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts for 12 bucks. They also have 1.99 sales. For example, they are offering the Scarlet Spider 1-6 at that price (12.00) and Amazon is offering the HC for 12.36 and the trade for 11.07 pre-order. They are also offering New Mutants 38 - 41.

The problem, of course, is they are somewhat random -- though they do tend to tie them into announcements or events, like the Ultron .99 sale, when they announced Age of Ultron.

Marvel.com does offer collections, which are basically trades, at comparable prices to Amazon. They may be on Comixology also, though I haven't looked.

http://comicstore.marvel.com/collections

Also, Marvel has put digital codes in a few of their physical trades. Not sure if this is going to continue, but if it does, you could always buy the book, use the code, and then sell the physical book. Or vice versa. I just saw a digital code for the AvX collection go for like 15 bucks on eBay.

Also, you can synch your Marvel.com account with your Comixology account, so whatever you buy at one shows up at the other.

I recently made to switch to digital comics and I am loving it. I am really impressed with the quality of the HD issues on Comixology. I am not exclusively digital just yet, but I can definitely see it in the near future. The Marvel 99 cents sales are a great way to catch up on titles I've been meaning to read. Now I am always excited about Mondays in anticipation of finding out what's on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by SF Doom View Post
    I recently made to switch to digital comics and I am loving it. I am really impressed with the quality of the HD issues on Comixology. I am not exclusively digital just yet, but I can definitely see it in the near future. The Marvel 99 cents sales are a great way to catch up on titles I've been meaning to read. Now I am always excited about Mondays in anticipation of finding out what's on sale.

Me too! There's usually something at least twice a month that grabs my attention and gets me to purchase a whole gob of comics I might have not gotten otherwise (Ellis' Thunderbolts run, for example).

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Just FYI- $.99 sale on X-Force titles today for X-Force ('90s series) and Cable (2008).
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Yeah, Mondays and Fridays are great if you're a Marvel fan. Ya gotta love that guided view, too.

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    Just FYI- $.99 sale on X-Force titles today for X-Force ('90s series) and Cable (2008).

Well that’s a slap in the face. 99 cents for comics that can be found in quarter bins nationwide?
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL B.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Comixology is pretty much the one and only digital comics retailer. Virtually every book that hits the store shelves is sold day-and-date on Comixology. Everything releases at cover price initially, but the price of non-Marvel books drops after one month, and the price of Marvel books drops whenever Marvel feels like it.

The only major publisher who doesn't sell through Comixology is Dark Horse. They have their own separate store (here). Like Comixology, they release pretty much everything at cover price, but drop the prices after one month.

Marvel has another program called "Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited", but it's very different. For a flat monthly or annual fee, you get full access to a huge library of digital back issues, including a lot of complete runs. It's an older service, but Marvel still maintains it, and they add to the library every day. It's a great way to dive into Marvel's enormous back catalog on the cheap, as long as you don't mind reading comics in a web browser.
    Do you guys recommend the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited?

Also how does all of this stuff say compare to itunes? So if I buy a song I don't need to be connected to the internet to listen to it after download. Is that the same for comics? This Marvel Digital thing sounds more comparable to Netflix. Also, is the MDCU an ap or do I have to go through a web browser each time?
    Last edited by NewMutant; 12-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    My Canon > Your Canon

Do you guys recommend the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited?

Also how does all of this stuff say compare to itunes? So if I buy a song I don't need to be connected to the internet to listen to it after download. Is that the same for comics? This Marvel Digital thing sounds more comparable to Netflix. Also, is the MDCU an ap or do I have to go through a web browser each time?
    Yeah, MCDU is similar to Netflix.

It’s a much better deal than buying digital issues but you need to be aware of two things.

There are a LOT of gaps in the selection so you’ll often find that one or more issues in a storyline are missing.

The reader is Flash-based so it won’t work on iOS devices and some other tablets. It works best on a PC browser.

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Comixology is giving Avengers vs X-Men #0 away for free today - http://blog.comixology.com/spotlight/.
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded it!

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    Yeah, MCDU is similar to Netflix.

It’s a much better deal than buying digital issues but you need to be aware of two things.

There are a LOT of gaps in the selection so you’ll often find that one or more issues in a storyline are missing.

The reader is Flash-based so it won’t work on iOS devices and some other tablets. It works best on a PC browser.
    So if the point is to switch over and use the ipad this isn't a good idea?
    My Canon > Your Canon

So if the point is to switch over and use the ipad this isn't a good idea?
    The rumor is that they’re going to make an app that allows you to read MDCU books on an iPad but right now I think the only way to read them on an iPad is to use an app like Spashtop that connects a tablet to a PC.

MDCU works surprisingly well with a lot of Android tablets though.