Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

And check out this blog for other recommended runs.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Its That Presidental Sh**

Yeah, I have been going pretty much crazy with this. I love it. I have just gotten into Nova and I enjoy it a lot. I am trying to finish up Runaways and Astonishing as well. I just read through the x-23 miniseries and it was wonderful. That blog helped me out a lot. Thanks for all the wonderful information.

Fantastic Fan of the FF FlameOn4's Avatar

It is a great service and I use it often. They update it with issues every day, so it's hard to imagine running out of content. Hopefully, Marvel will get their act together and make it easier to browse comics/ fill in missing issues from arcs/ fix glitches in the reader.

Default Marvel go 'Day-And-Date Digital'

Source:

Marvel have announced that, starting in August with 'Spider-Island' and then in November with the X-Men's 'Regenesis' comics, their issues will be released digitally on the same day that they are released into stores.

Correction! The comics community have decided that same day digital sounds better. So we'll say that Marvel are doing that instead.

Kind of Ambiguous The Surrealist's Avatar

The whole 'piracy' and 'illegal downloading' thing (ie. sharing and Fair Use in the proper philosophy) is hurting the industry right now the article says; well that's news to me, I didn't know that was going on with comics to that extent. But if you're not going to allow legal downloads of the comics to a hard drive in some suitable format, you're paying full price for an issue that you never own, and can only read online in a browser (or, kids, on your Iphone/Android or some shit like that, IDK, I don't got one o' them). It seems like bad value to me. *shrugs*

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

i hope its true.

i love my digital comics.... as long as you have the supported hardware, they are as portable as you want

i would love to have access to a actual file i could manual move around.. i wont lie... but to this point the Marvel app has worked well for me and i have no complaints as of yet.

ill start have make some desicions on which series i drop off my pull list and go digital on

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike View Post
    The whole 'piracy' and 'illegal downloading' thing (ie. sharing and Fair Use in the proper philosophy) is hurting the industry right now the article says; well that's news to me, I didn't know that was going on with comics to that extent. But if you're not going to allow legal downloads of the comics to a hard drive in some suitable format, you're paying full price for an issue that you never own, and can only read online in a browser (or, kids, on your Iphone/Android or some shit like that, IDK, I don't got one o' them). It seems like bad value to me. *shrugs*
    I agree 100 percent I have no problem with digital comics if I can truly own them that means having the individual files and being able to read them without internet connections.

Paul Cornell did some basic investigation a few months ago, I recall, and found that something like three people downloaded one of his comics for every one person who bought a physical copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I agree 100 percent I have no problem with digital comics if I can truly own them that means having the individual files and being able to read them without internet connections.
    Indeed. Without ownership of the actual file all you are effectively doing is renting a copy. Why rent when you can own a physical copy? Of course Marvel also knows this, which is why they discontinued the agreement they had with Gitcorp making DVDs of their back-catalogue as they decided to milk the monthly subscription model of their Digital Comics Unlimited (which was also an underhanded attempt to co-opt "DCU" from DC).

Eventually, they will opt to go to a different model or the companies they have partnered with will go out of business or lose their contract to license the content. And then all the users will be SOL on all the money they spent to "buy" those comics.

If you buy something, you should be able to download it and store it on your storage medium of choice. Otherwise you have bought nothing. And if you want a legal digital copy, all you really have to do is buy a cheap "all-in-one" printer with a scanner and scan your own books you have bought. Just as legal as TiVO or old VCR recordings.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

the ipad you get a file... but i don't think, at least i cant, get in there and figure out how to extract the individual files and get them away from the app.... obviously on purpose for pirate issues

you can download your comics and read them without internet access though

are these digital copies substantially less expensive than regular comics?

I'll stick to the physical copies, until they stop being printed.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerWannaBe View Post
    the ipad you get a file... but i don't think, at least i cant, get in there and figure out how to extract the individual files and get them away from the app.... obviously on purpose for pirate issues

you can download your comics and read them without internet access though
    Can you download them to another device or to a flash drive or burn them to DVD? If not, then you will lose them on the day your iPad eventually dies or is made obsolete and unsupported. That's still just renting but with the added cost of the iPad.

Apple's iCloud service has the same flaws, and this is coming from a guy that chooses to only use Macs at home. I prefer to have complete control over my data and to follow the age-old computer mantra "backup, backup, backup". DVDs are cheap. Flash drives are cheap. Even hard drives are cheap. No reason you can't easily back up all your data in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post
    are these digital copies substantially less expensive than regular comics?
    No details have been revealed.

I'm not sure about doing it line by line or when Marvel plans on getting the word out about this to the mainstream. DC's already started making the press rounds.