Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: OP/ED - Green Lantern: The Truth About Black and Green

Guest writer Marc Bernardin takes a look at the effect of casting Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan in "Green Lantern" following the use of John Stewart as GL in the "Justice League Unlimited" cartoon.

Full article here.

Its already happened. You have no idea how many people I've spoken to who 'thought GL was a black guy'.

at heroes con neal adams was talking about john stewart and his role as G.L he said that he was glad to see that most kids now think of john stewart as G.L instead of hal jordan or kyle raynor.Thanks to the JLU cartoon.

Did miss the OP in this OP/ED? It seemed like it was setting up to go somewhere..then just ended.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.

"long list of white dudes to rock the ring" - two people (Hal and Guy) constitute a "long list"? And I'm not even sure that Guy wore the ring before John. How would you have told a beginning GL story centered around John Stewart, sans Hal and his story, without completely changing the whole mythos by having Abin Sur's ring going to John? You're picking at a scab where there is no wound, man. GL was a white guy in cartoons long before he was a black guy. Your points are up there with the people bitching about Heimdall being a black dude.

Thumbs down

Come on CBR. This is such an old story. This was a discussion that was kicking around initially - bringing it up now, the week of the movie, is just a "Look at me! Look at me!" cry.

as an aside, i was thinking the other day that if they play there cards right and it's a decent movie they could totally pull off doing GL as a trilogy of trilogies, starting with 3 Hal movies (with him going bad at the end), then 3 John Stewart movies (maybe with him getting hurt or killed ~ by Hal? at the end) and then 3 Kyle Raynor movies, culminating with a showdown with Hal...

be kind of cool, as GLs one of the few heroes to really stand for any significant time with different people in the role. (bring back the lamest one in the comics notwithstanding)

============ Just say "NO!" to $4 books. ============

You know, i have always wondered why DC did nothing to captilalize on John Stewart's popularity in the JLU cartoon. They handled him so well and introduced him to a new audience of people and then in the comics he was pretty much nonexistant. I'm not saying he should've replaced Hal or anything, but it's weird he got NO recognition outside of that cartoon.

Also you'd be surprised at the amount of people i've heard that are shocked that GL is actually a white guy and not the one from the cartoon.

All valid stuff. As a kid I didn't know Green Lantern. I recognized him as JLA, but didn't know anything about any of them. I nabbed a 3-pack of Batman, Flash and GL one days and thusly learned about Wally West and Kyle Rayner, and met Kyle Rayner on Superman: The Animated Series.

When JLA hit and introduced John Stewart, I had no clue who he was. I mean I was a savvy kid, I figured it out quickly enough ... "Right, apparently there's this black GL in the comics, the JLA is awfully white, makes sense ..." and didn't question it and man did John Stewart ever become a favorite on that show.

Anyway after GL2 delivers Hal vs. Sinestro, if they want to introduce John Stewart (and have Will Smith play him and take over for GL3), I'm all for it.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

"Did "JLU" turn kids back on to comics? Probably, but not in the droves that DC might've liked. So not only did the "JLU" deliver unto a whole generation their first heroes, it's entirely possible that "JLU's" League were the only versions of those heroes they'd ever know."

Peoples would probably have started AND keep reading comics if they would have been as good as the cartoon,at the time.

They where not.
    It's like giving samples of high cuisine,then try to feed people hot dogs,as a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid2 View Post
    They where not.
    It's like giving samples of high cuisine,then try to feed people hot dogs,as a meal.
    As someone who has been rewatching every episode of the Justice League cartoon, I can assure you that it is far from high cuisine. Perhaps a gourmet hot dog, compared to a gas station hot dog, but still just a hot dog.

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    Its already happened. You have no idea how many people I've spoken to who 'thought GL was a black guy'.
    Well I only know one person who thought that. But that's more because I don't really know anyone else who watched JLU, I didn't even watch it at the time, and still have only really seen a handful of episodes.

But anyway under any Green lantern trailer on the internet, the ammount of comments below asking how come Green Lantern is white is quite staggering.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

If the cartoons really did turn so many people onto to comics, then those people would have known, and thus not been shocked, that John was not the original, nor only, Green Lantern, considering he was not the GL in the GL book itself during that time outside of a few issues, but rather Kyle was.

Kyle vacated the League in an attempt to sync up the books with the cartoon, and John took his place there, but the Green Lantern title was Kyle during that time period, and even in the JLA, John and others referenced the other Lanterns.

Having the first GL movie start with John would be like having the first Iron Man start with Rhodes.

John should make an appearance and costar and then star in a GL related movie down the road, but this first one should be Hal (even though Alan was A Green Lantern first, though removed from the whole Corps idea).

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    Did miss the OP in this OP/ED? It seemed like it was setting up to go somewhere..then just ended.
    yeah, i'm glad this article is on here but honestly i would have liked a little more meat on the bone!!!

with that said, i've been saying this from day one when they announced it with Hal that they're shooting themselves in the foot. part of the thing that works so well for comic book movies is that the audience is built in, just as much (if not more) from the cartoons than the comics. so business wise -- not just socio-political -- it's a bad move for WB to use Hal instead of John.

There are going to be some shocked people when they find out that Green Lantern is a white guy. And, I'd even go so far as to say, there might even be a hint of betrayal.
    Did a lot of white people feel "a hint of betrayal" that none of the white Green Lanterns starred on the Justice League show? And if they did, would anyone actually take their complaints seriously? Sure, people may have been upset their favorite lantern wasn't on the show, be it kyle or hal or guy, but was it a black/white thing? Only for the crazies. So why would this be any different? Are black people supposed to be offended that the movie is using the original (space cop version I mean) Green Lantern and staying more faithful to the original source material, just because John was popular in a cartoon for a few seasons as opposed to 40+ years of Hal being the star?