Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Cup O' Joe - Jun 10, 2011

In a week when Marvel loses one of its heroes in Bucky "Captain America" Barnes and one of its marquee titles in "Uncanny X-Men," Tom Brevoort still has time to juggle his picks for DC's relaunches and more.

Full article here.

The All-New Ethnic Atom?

Default Not another "death"...

And this just about sums up why, after 35 years, I stopped buying comics a couple of months back.

I hated the tone of Tom Breevort in this. He ridiculed fans by saying that we moaned about bringing Bucky back and now we're moaning that we're killing him. We're moaning because with every stupid resurrection and stunt 'death' you are undermining the whole MU and making it next to impossible to take the stories seriously. It's got very little to do with Brubaker making him a believable character, as Brevoort believes. Very selective interpretation of fans.

Good luck, Marvel. You don't care about the diehards like me, so I hope you find the audience you're looking for. I thought I would buy Marvel until I died but you proved me wrong. Congratulations.
    "Being in a minority, even a minority of one, does not make you mad... Sanity is not statistical."
    George Orwell, "1984"

So, I've been reading Bru's run on Cap since the beginning, and they kill Bucky in some event comic that I'm not even reading?

Great, thanks Marvel!

Might be time to be done with you altogether...

Quote Originally Posted by Boabie View Post
    And this just about sums up why, after 35 years, I stopped buying comics a couple of months back.

I hated the tone of Tom Breevort in this. He ridiculed fans by saying that we moaned about bringing Bucky back and now we're moaning that we're killing him. We're moaning because with every stupid resurrection and stunt 'death' you are undermining the whole MU and making it next to impossible to take the stories seriously. It's got very little to do with Brubaker making him a believable character, as Brevoort believes. Very selective interpretation of fans.

Good luck, Marvel. You don't care about the diehards like me, so I hope you find the audience you're looking for. I thought I would buy Marvel until I died but you proved me wrong. Congratulations.
    I don't think he was ridiculing...I think he was just pointing out the irony in how there was outrage among certain fans no matter what Marvel was doing with Bucky (resurrecting vs. killing).

The curious one.

Bucky is dead again? I wonder how long he'll stay dead this time.

And I agree some of his answers were pretty condescending. But then I don't believe that Brevoort thinks that the majority of fans read these interviews. I think the attitude is 'ok, it's only the online fans I'm going to get angry and they're aren't enough of them to affect sales' so he just goes ahead. There is some logic in this, after all marvel has done it's best to generate hate and anger for years now and they've succeeded online but have also gotten good sales from it. We are inconsequential except that we amuse him.

Mark_S

Quote Originally Posted by minimalistx View Post
    So, I've been reading Bru's run on Cap since the beginning, and they kill Bucky in some event comic that I'm not even reading?

Great, thanks Marvel!

Might be time to be done with you altogether...
    Ditto.

I have pretty much dropped everything except Cap and the Avengers, but my plan was to drop Avengers and just keep reading Bru's Cap. Not that I am outraged that Bucky was killed like it's the last straw or something but I am tired of having to follow more than one book to get the whole story. I find it utterly pointless to take the time to bring back a character nobody thought should come back, make him relevant and enjoyable to read and then kill him off again. Not to mention they killed "nomad" because they didn't need 2 Bucky's around and now they are both dead. I'm tired of the constant renumber or reshuffling of titles. And honestly, the books are getting darn expensive.

I really am at a point that I might pick up a trade if it has good word or mouth or I might try Action Comics #1, but I'm at a point where I find it hard to care about what is going on with the Marvel Universe and I"m a Marvel guy.
    "Being a father is a lot like being the least powerful Vice President in history." - Jim Gaffigan

Honestly i can't stomach this weekly talk of renumbering to #1s in relation to Marvel who spent the last few years renumbering from low numbers to HIGH numbers (Daredevil, Cap, Incredible Hulk, Thor, etc. etc.) I'm typically a Marvel apologist and don't get caught up in the criticisms that most fling, but this is the one that irritates me most. But they're playing both sides of the argument here and it annoys the living crap out of me. Pick an angle and stick with it. I didn't mind resetting to the higher numbers. I appreciate the legacy there.

But they are dirtying the waters of continuity by going back and forth with this. And then switching titles, renaming titles or creating new ones (Hulk, X-Men) so similarly named to previous editions. Just address that issue. Don't sit there and patronize me about how #1s are good for the industry but then not tell me why it's helpful to vault a comic from #50 to #600 then after 20 further issues relaunch it at #1 while renaming the pre-existing one but keeping its numbering. Because that sounds a whole lot like the opposite of what this blowhard keeps trying to say about #1s.

Brevoort has said over and over that you don't need death to make an event book— you need change. And I'm inclined to agree with him (for all I'm sure people would point out that Bucky dying in particular is almost anti-change). But these big crossovers sure do result in death more often than not. And often in ways that don't have much resonance— I'm still not sure what offing the Wasp accomplished, even within the Secret Invasion storyline.

So does this mean they're going get two new team titles from Uncanny because of Schism?One with Scott's team and the other with Logan's? Or will the X-Men who side with Logan move over to X-Force?
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Don't believe Bucky is dead or that he'll remain "dead" long. There's a Captain America & Bucky book on the way for pete's sake.
    $3.99 IS TOO MUCH FOR A COMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by anthony! View Post
    Don't believe Bucky is dead or that he'll remain "dead" long. There's a Captain America & Bucky book on the way for pete's sake.
    I could be wrong but I believe it focuses on their WWII adventures.
    "Being a father is a lot like being the least powerful Vice President in history." - Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_billbowski View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe it focuses on their WWII adventures.
    The first arc is flashback, but it goes up through Winter Soldier. But the fact that they're talking about this as something that sets up future stories, and is part of Ed Brubaker's master longformplan, rather than "Bucky needs to be dead and that is how Steve's guilt is preserved" is telling.

The characters whose crossover-related deaths inspired further plotlines in ongoing books, i.e., Loki and Steve Rogers, are the ones who didn't stay dead long.

I read Fear Itself #3 and didn't know Bucky was dead until I read this interview.

Cool X-23 image, but sorta depressing at the same time. I can understand how this makes for a cool cover and even establishes some dramatic tension. At the same time, the continuity police are going nuts here. Unlike Hulk, Thing's rock form isn't super big. He's only 6' or so. That's only 6" taller than the 5'6" X-23. So, either Thing is 8' or Laura is campaigning for the Mayor of Munchkin City. Like I said, cool cover. It's just the sort of artistic license that drives me nuts though.