Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 64 of 64
  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nilzero View Post
    Yeah, my mistake. So... is it cheaper to renew a trademark by printing up some comics instead of making a movie or tv show?
    Sure it would. Just like Marvel did with Marvelman. Just slapping together a book of old reprints and selling it should be enough to prove you have not vacated the trademark.

  2. #62
    Junior Member nilzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the Dagman View Post
    Sure it would. Just like Marvel did with Marvelman. Just slapping together a book of old reprints and selling it should be enough to prove you have not vacated the trademark.
    -------------
    Thanks. Then this may become the future of print comics for Marvel and DC, depending on how well Digital does.
    -----------
    www.lulu.com/spotlight/zerodreamidea

  3. #63
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    AND THIS is what drives me crazy... THE DIRECT MARKET CAN NEVER BE A LOSS LEADER. It's impossible. The publisher knows exactly how many books are going to sell the day they set the press run, then, they decide to overprint or not. If they can't make money, they can cancel the book or resolicit at a higher price point. This is the fundamental misunderstanding of the civilian population, DC and Marvel physically cannot lose money on DM books unless they choose to overprint dramatically. Those book are sold to retailers and that's all that really matters bottom line. That's why they are so hesitant to get too crazy with downloads. There is no guarantee of sales.
    No it is you who totally misunderstands how business works. You seem to think the only costs involved are the price to print books.

    Marvel still have to pay writers, artists, rent, back office staff, taxes etc. If book sell so low they don't cover those costs they will lose money even if they sell every copy.

    In the firm I work(not comics) we make nothing and I mean nothing without selling it first yet we still lose millions on these projects.

  4. #64
    Senior Member bringthenoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    3,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briest57 View Post
    Marvel still have to pay writers, artists, rent, back office staff, taxes etc. If book sell so low they don't cover those costs they will lose money even if they sell every copy.
    Except that Marvel would cancel the book before it got to that level.

    Quote Originally Posted by briest57 View Post
    In the firm I work(not comics) we make nothing and I mean nothing without selling it first yet we still lose millions on these projects.
    If your company does this on a frequent basis, I'd recommend you look for a new job before it goes under. Good companies do not keep taking on loss making projects.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •