Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Gillen Maps Out His "Journey Into Mystery"

In "Journey Into Mystery," the Asgardian god Loki has set out on a spy mission against the Serpent, the all-powerful antagonist of "Fear Itself." We spoke with writer Kieron Gillen about his plans for the series.

Full article here.

Very cool. I was hoping I'd be able to drop this after Fear Itself to free up some cash, but alas...
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Default Yay JIM!

Loving this series! Was so excited when this title w/Gillen was announced- especially since Fraction's first "Thor" arc was TERRIBLE.

GREAT article! I love this book. I hope people keep buying it, so Gillen can write those 40 plus issues. Sounds wonderful!

Oh man, I'm loving his take on the FI conflict and how he's going to look at what the other pantheons are doing and the politics behind all the mythical stuff.

That and the fact there's this is finite makes me look forward to this even more.

I really want Gillen transferred to the main Thor title... He's a great writer, but I'm just not interested in a Loki solo book.

Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    I really want Gillen transferred to the main Thor title... He's a great writer, but I'm just not interested in a Loki solo book.
    My feelings exactly. Wow.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

I'm more excited that there is an end plan for the story, that sold me on this more then anything else. I quit enjoyed his Thor stuff when it involved Loki and less when it involved well Thor. Plus the two issues have been enjoyable, I will likely just pick it up in trades like I do all the super hero books I read though. Very glad to see Hel Wolf will be around for a bit.
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    This Loki book is awesome! It's thousands of times better than the Thor book! And it's set in the same mythos using plenty of the same Asgardian characters!

After I posted, I realized that after Namor's book ends, this will probably be my favorite book. Then I realized they cancel all my favorite books. <sob>

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    This Loki book is awesome! It's thousands of times better than the Thor book! And it's set in the same mythos using plenty of the same Asgardian characters!

After I posted, I realized that after Namor's book ends, this will probably be my favorite book. Then I realized they cancel all my favorite books. <sob>
    You may want to run... now.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

each times I'm reading a Gillen interview about JIM I have the feeling to hear Roger Zelazny' ghost..saying he approached his story like a Shakespeare' play seems not a vain formula..Altough he never disclaimed Neil Gaiman' influence, he's on the road to give the whole Pantheon of characters he's using a real weight, which basically is saving the THOR franchise for years to come..

"Listen to yourself"...Damn, he took me years to understand that..That a guy bothers to even spell it is just stunning.. while most of the others comics writers are so elegants that they have to be bitchy in everything they provide..Gaiman himself used to say " Go out and find you a girl-friend" instead..
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

It's nice to have something in the MU with philosophical and intellectual weight. This series is going to be a classic, no doubt about it.

Kieron Gillen - thank you for proving that these characters are not only writable and relatable but grand and epic and intimate and nuanced and most of all being godly are therefore human.

The last posters have been very apt in their descriptions of this title. This is one of the most Gaimanesque and epic takes on Marvel characters ever, and deserves a loyal readership.

If you've stumbled upon this thread by chance or out of curiosity, buy the new Journey Into Mystery. You will not regret it.

Gillen also plans to use his inaugural arc to examine the impact the rise of the Serpent has had on the other mythological pantheons in the Marvel Universe. "There's this war between the Serpent and the forces of Asgard, but what on Earth are the rest of the pantheons thinking? There's the entire council of godheads -- what are they thinking about Asgard deciding to scour the Earth as a way to try and defeat the Serpent? That's kind of the stuff I'm dealing with," the writer explained. "Essentially, it's kind of like the history of the Second World War. You can look at the battles and who did what and where, but the politics are also something which you study. Why did this country decide to join the Axis? And why did that country decide to join the Allies? There's a little bit of that in what I'm doing. That's not to imply that this is a dry history lecture, but that part of the history books is where some of the inspiration for this story comes from though."
    Gillen, you had me at "other mythological pantheons." This series is going to deliver where "Chaos War" fell short.

The political aspects of godhood and demonhood will be explored further in an upcoming issue which sees Mephisto's perspective on things. "My sixth issue is literally Mephisto sitting in a pub telling someone a story. It spins out of the idea that there is a council of godheads that meets in this large extra-dimensional, UN-style building where all their political business gets done and everything is overseen by the Living Tribunal's servants. And the Serpent's war has just got everyone talking, registering on a cosmic and mythological scale and we're going to see how Mephisto and some of the gods and demons feel about it. Is Mephisto happy that the Serpent has tried to form an alliance with Hela? Does he profit from that? Or does that hurt him? These types of questions lend themselves to some fun and interesting stories."
    Hmmm . . . makes me wonder if Mephisto will rally his own council of Hell Lords, the Lords of the Splinter Realms, to counter the Council of Godheads . . .