Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The essential Dick Grayson as Batman trades

so, if i wanted to buy all the essential Dick Grayson as Batman trades, what books should i choose? i'm planning on buying them for christmas, so they don't necessarily have to be out yet.

i know there's a lot of stuff around, but i'm only interested in the absolutely essential and best books.

i was thinking of going with

Batman: Long Shadows (Batman #687-691)
    Batman & Robin Vol. 1: Batman Reborn (Batman & Robin # 1-6)
    Batman and Robin, Vol. 2: Batman vs. Robin (Batman & Robin # 7-12)
    Batman & Robin Vol. 3: Batman Must Die! (Batman & Robin # 13-16, Batman - The Return # 1)
    Batman: The Black Mirror (Detective Comics # 871-881)

anything i should add?

If you're only interested in the best, I think you could probably pass on Long Shadows.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    If you're only interested in the best, I think you could probably pass on Long Shadows.
    Yup. Other than that, you've got the best already listed.

I'd pass on Tec too.

And I'm saying that as somebody who enjoyed Snyder's take a lot more than I thought I would have. But I just don't see how it's essential at all. It's great, but it's great filler. It moves Gordon forward somewhat, but I don't see it moving Dick forward at all. So if you want essential Gordon stories I'd pick up Tec, but if you want essential Dick as Batman, I don't see anything there that you *need* to have.

It's essential because it's a great story about Dick Grayson as Batman.

Long Shadows wasn't the greatest story ever written but i thought it was a decent arc showing Dick's first days as Batman, when he was still kinda unsure of himself... lots of interaction with Alfred as well as Dick starting to form a friendship with Gordon... but as far as stories go, i probably liked the Black Mask story that followed it better.

Snyder's Detective run is awesome, it's probably the best Dick Batman story as far as i'm concerned and i'd highly recommend it to anyone. thinking about it, i guess i've enjoyed it even more than Morrison's B&R run.

i can't seem to think of any Streets of Gotham arc that i should include, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    I'd pass on Tec too.

And I'm saying that as somebody who enjoyed Snyder's take a lot more than I thought I would have. But I just don't see how it's essential at all. It's great, but it's great filler. It moves Gordon forward somewhat, but I don't see it moving Dick forward at all. So if you want essential Gordon stories I'd pick up Tec, but if you want essential Dick as Batman, I don't see anything there that you *need* to have.
    This... this is just wrong... never have I read a book that delves into Dick's mindset as Batman so well as Detective Comics has done for the past so many months.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    This... this is just wrong... never have I read a book that delves into Dick's mindset as Batman so well as Detective Comics has done for the past so many months.
    I'm not arguing any of that. I think we're talking past each other. I said it didn't move him forward, you didn't refute that. You offer that it plumbs his psychology, I'm not refuting that. You like that the series is exploring him in place, I prefer a series that explores a character moving forward. Both of our statements are correct, we're just looking at the series from different points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by zur en arrh View Post
    It's essential because it's a great story about Dick Grayson as Batman.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    Long Shadows wasn't the greatest story ever written but i thought it was a decent arc showing Dick's first days as Batman, when he was still kinda unsure of himself... lots of interaction with Alfred as well as Dick starting to form a friendship with Gordon.
    I won't argue any of that.
    Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    so, if i wanted to buy all the essential Dick Grayson as Batman trades, what books should i choose? i'm planning on buying them for christmas, so they don't necessarily have to be out yet.

i know there's a lot of stuff around, but i'm only interested in the absolutely essential and best books.

i was thinking of going with

Batman: Long Shadows (Batman #687-691)
    Batman & Robin Vol. 1: Batman Reborn (Batman & Robin # 1-6)
    Batman and Robin, Vol. 2: Batman vs. Robin (Batman & Robin # 7-12)
    Batman & Robin Vol. 3: Batman Must Die! (Batman & Robin # 13-16, Batman - The Return # 1)
    Batman: The Black Mirror (Detective Comics # 871-881)

anything i should add?
    This list is perfect as it is. Don't tke any of these titles off they are all essential. If you want some icing on the cake I would add. Batman and Robin # 20-22.

And maybe his run on JLA

I'd add his appearance in Nemisis 2 and 3 to this book his showings wre very well written, he also had some good appearances in Powergirl

EDIT: You may also need to read Nightwing 144 to 152 to build up before he takes the cowl
    Last edited by Jabare; 06-03-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Personally, I'd add Battle for the Cowl, since it sets the context of everything that follows. But I know there are some very vocal people who love to verbalize their hate toward it.
    Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

And maybe his run on JLA
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I've popped in JLA time to time, and god... I just find Robinson's writing to be really bad. I get the feeling that he writes with the mindset of South Park's rendition of Al Gore, just super psyched on himself, and oblivious to logic. One of the greatest fan quotes I read was about his "advancing" of Dick and Kara's relationship, that he was going places where he really hadn't "earned."

Hmm, yeah, I'd probably put one arc of JLA in there, probably "Omega".

And I don't think I'd put in Battle for the Cowl but I would put in Long Shadows.

I'd probably put Battle for the Cowl. It was decent even if the overall story was incredibly contrived. It was like the very fabric of the book was forcing Dick to take up the Batman cowl even though in the end he saved the day without it, proving He could be just as successful as Nightwing, but I digress.

I'm new to reading Batman, but after going through all of Morrison's run, I've been itching to delve more into Dick Grayson as Batman. So far I've read Battle for the Cowl as well as Long Shadows as two trades that are widely considered as "unnecessary" reading, as well as the rest of the uncollected Batman & Robin issues. Long Shadows, however, ends on a cliffhanger that I believe is explained in Life After Death. I didn't see any mention of it here - is it a pass?