Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Jun 1, 2011

This week's WHERE THE HELL AM I topic covers something particularly important for aspiring writers who want to tell long-form stories: Always know how your story ends before you begin to write it.

Full article here.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't start with an outline in my head. I have to start actually writing out scenes, whether in sequence or not, before I can really start to figure out what my story is. After I have a few pages of scenes written out, then I'll go back and create an outline.
    I tend to not know where my own stories are heading until I start writing, so it's hard to outline beforehand.

I actually have stories play out in my head, work out the ending and key arcs, THEN start writing. I definitely need to work on my use of outlines.

I love writing outlines. To me it's like writing a part of a history for a text book and I've always loved reading history. Favorite subject in school.
    20th Century Boys 7 Billion Needles Akira Battle Angel Alita Fullmetal Alchemist GANTZ Negima Oh My Goddess Ooku, Yotsuba&!
    Amazing Spider-Man Batman Inc BPRD DMZ Fables Hellboy Orc Stain

More great advice, Mr. Aaron! I can`t tell you how much I enjoy reading this column. From the little writing I have done I find that I have been following this formula of structuring and outlining pretty closely. I usually find it best by starting at the end and then filling in the important scenes or tent poles that the rest of the structure will be built around. Accurate planning saves so much time and frustration. Thank you for sharing what you`ve learned once more!

Default I'm the complete opposite

Man, all I can do is write outlines. I love writing outlines. The more detailed the better. It's so funny how opposite I am to you.
    Grr. Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    This week's WHERE THE HELL AM I topic covers something particularly important for aspiring writers who want to tell long-form stories: Always know how your story ends before you begin to write it.
    I don't agree with this advice. Everyone has a different approach to writing, and many famous writers habitually start stories with no idea how they turn out. For myself, some stories have an ending and some don't until I get there. Actually, not having an ending in mind can make the whole process much more exciting.