Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No I don't think its a good idea to take characters away for any reason. Look at the way Marvel did Captain America being shot. He was 'away' sure, but he still managed to appear in a ton of comics in addition to the stuff Brubaker was doing with Bucky. Thats the way to go if they do it. Take Spider-Man out in some way, but use it to focus people on what the character is all about.

That said, it seems like doing such a move in the immediate future is a bad idea. Slott's on a roll, the FF stuff is just getting going, and there are several events planned. To me, this would have made more sense at the end of the JMS run.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

A hiatus is an effective way to kick off a new schedule. So if you think Amazing Spider-Man functions better as one of three monthly titles or as a monthly with 60 pages of content or as a weekly with occasional intermissions (my ideal schedule), that's one way to kick it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I don't think this would actually be a problem. I mean, currently, they have Spider-Man planned through basically the entire rest of the year, and it's been planned that way since the beginning of the year. The only issue would be the OTHER books Spider-Man is in coordinating with it, but 1) this just illustrates why I hate crossovers and 2) again, if they know it's going to happen, you can write Spider-Man out of the book for one reason or another before a mega-arc starts. I mean, looking at something like Fear itself, while Spidey may be on the cover to #1, the man doesn't do ANYTHING.
    A future hiatus is a significant restriction on long-term storylines as the writers have to figure out ways to use and work around the hiatus.

If you know that Marvel's not going to be publishing new stories with Peter Parker from March 2013 to October 2013, there's a tremendous incentive to tie up all the loose ends by February, even for more complex narratives.

You might see a disproportionate amount of finite self-contained work green-lit prior to the hiatus. And it could be a period in which the book is just treading water. This is somewhat similar with what's happened to the Superman books now and during "The World of Krypton."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

A Spiderman hiatus would be cool if per say they made 1 issue without any replacement
    Show what's it like without him then have someone return in the same costume
    Peter would be gone and for example Ben could be under the mask,
    but we wouldn't know till the end who the new Spidey is, all we know that it can't be Pete
    Since he's away in some important mission.
    Then have Peter return with both in Spidey threads it would be funny,

lots of possibilities

Only no more overused stuff like him quiting beacause someone close to him dies
    The lack of originality will always bother me

So, is Superior Spider-Man the answer to my question?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

isn't this what superior spider-man is going to be? a new lease on the book with a new character for a while? i haven't read about the title as im not interested in the premise or the creative team behind it but this is the general idea no?

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    it very well could be. Depends on who it is. Heard an interesting theory last night based on advanced spoilers for 697 I was PM'd. If so then yes it is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what this is. I hope it can satisfy us "Peter Parker IS Spider-Man" fans.
    If it doesn't, the backlash will probably be pretty damaging to Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    My first reaction to Met's query was Slott's relaunch of She-Hulk, after Jen got beat up so badly by Titania she found herself unable to Hulk-out unaided for a long time and the title took an eight-month break both in real-time and Marvel time. So Spidey getting beat up has a precedent.

Heh, what if Spidey gets transported to the Ultimate universe and becomes that reality's Ultimate Spidey for a while before returning to 616? Shades of Heroes Reborn.
    It would be interesting to see Spider-Man get sent to the AoA universe to team-up with Gwen Stacy. Another idea is for Spidey to go to Earth-2149.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No I don't think its a good idea to take characters away for any reason. Look at the way Marvel did Captain America being shot. He was 'away' sure, but he still managed to appear in a ton of comics in addition to the stuff Brubaker was doing with Bucky. Thats the way to go if they do it. Take Spider-Man out in some way, but use it to focus people on what the character is all about.

That said, it seems like doing such a move in the immediate future is a bad idea. Slott's on a roll, the FF stuff is just getting going, and there are several events planned. To me, this would have made more sense at the end of the JMS run.
    True. Were it not for the OMD that was forced down JMS throat.

Isn't Ultimate Peter Parker already on a "hiatus?"

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich eater View Post
    Isn't Ultimate Peter Parker already on a "hiatus?"
    He's dead. And Bendis said that he's not coming back.