Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Memorial Day Spotlight on Joe Kubert

CBR News spoke with legendary comic creator Joe Kubert about his storied career, the Kubert School, the death of Sgt. Rock and DC's publication of "Yossel" and "Jew Gangster" at DC Comics.

Full article here.

Great interview. Joe is a class act. And funny too! He has done it all: writer, artist,editor. He has worked in so many genres & done all of them exceptionally well. My favorite Joe Kubert works are his Sgt Rock & Tarzan comics.

one of the all-time greats. good to see the sons taking a bigger role at the school - go family go!

md62 I was going to say the exact same thing: what a class act.

PS Magazines are fun as hell. I'll sit down and read one and take minimal away from it, but they make much more sense than 64 pages of manuals.

Nova Scotia's Elder Gawd Chadhulhu's Avatar

Great Interview, Love all of Joe's work. from Rock to Hawkman. My favorite DC artist ever. oh happy 85th there Joe, whenever it is :)

I suppose I shouldn't be, but I was surprised to read that Joe doesn't particularly like looking at (some of) his earlier work. I would hate to bother him, and I realize he wants to do other stuff, but.... I still think his Hawkman was the best ever. I wish we could get some new Hawkman stories out of him, to see how he'd handle the character NOW.

And, a big and resounding YES! to more work from the wonderful Sam Glanzman! He's one of my all-time favorites!

Great to hear that Joe got Sam Glanzman to do some new work for the anthology. I enjoyed Sam's autobiographical's "A Sailor's Story" for Marvel and it will be cool to see his stuff alongside Kubert's.

Joe will celebrate his 85th birthday on September 18th, btw.

God, I can't wait for that Kubert anthology. Glanzman back after a good decade on the sidelines? Definitely count me in.

Excellent interview, way further than the traditional ones about the modern artists!!!!

One question: what is the PS magazine? Where to buy a copy?

I hope that the Sgt Rock new stories will be printed in the Vertigo verse than the GI Combat comic book which is a true epic failure like its predecessor. Or, maybe, this time DC has understand whci kind of war comic book its readers are waiting for!!!

I want a TRUE war comic book!!!! Not this actual 2.0 crap...

When you look at what it is still being published by DC Thomson in Scotland, Commando, DC Comics can take example from this pocket war comic book!!!!! When you go on the official web site, be ready to take a Kleenex box. You will cry!!!!

Growing up–and it's still pretty much true to this day–comics artists were my heroes. To me they're the equivalent of what sports heroes and rockstars are to others. And Joe Kubert stands on top of the mountain, along with only a very few other masters in the field. I'm very, very glad he's still alive, healthy, happy, and working.

Okay, enough with the compliments. Now back to my nefarious plan to somehow coerce him into producing a trilogy of Superman: Earth One-style Silver-Age Hawkman volumes.