Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    But they didn't really made a story of her death. Not like Dan Slott did with Marla. Her death brought back Kraven, but had zero consequences on the good guys.

She was Jonah's niece. She was killed by Spidey's foes. Because she was a Spider Woman. Because she wanted to be a super hero like Spider Man.

It should have radically changed the dynamic between Jonah and Spidey. He should have spent the rest of his life blaming him for her death, and this time, Peter couldn't have laughed it off, because he would have felt responsible (not that he was really responsible, but both Jonah and Peter would have felt that way for different reasons).

I understand that the Spider Man writers time didn't want to go that way with Jonah and Spidey, but then they shouldn't have killed Mattie.
    Maybe Slott can do a storyline about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    I think is the right thing to do. Maybe a special flashback about it.

"Evil", in this case being the Kravens, didn't win anything with Mattie's death, which was what was so disturbing about it. Yes, they killed her, but from their point of view, it wasn't a victory. That would imply that they had some reason to desire her death, when, really, she was nothing to them. She wasn't an enemy, or a nuisance, or even a person. She was just a thing, used as a test-run before enacting their real plan with their real enemy to achieve their real goal. The level of evil that strips humanity away from the individual and reduces them to nothing more than an interchangeable tool is a vile one indeed, and Mattie's death served to demonstrate this point to the audience. It showed exactly what level of monster we're dealing with.

In other words, Mattie's death isn't a moral consideration; it's one based in the storytelling.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    "Evil", in this case being the Kravens, didn't win anything with Mattie's death, which was what was so disturbing about it. Yes, they killed her, but from their point of view, it wasn't a victory. That would imply that they had some reason to desire her death, when, really, she was nothing to them. She wasn't an enemy, or a nuisance, or even a person. She was just a thing, used as a test-run before enacting their real plan with their real enemy to achieve their real goal. The level of evil that strips humanity away from the individual and reduces them to nothing more than an interchangeable tool is a vile one indeed, and Mattie's death served to demonstrate this point to the audience. It showed exactly what level of monster we're dealing with.

In other words, Mattie's death isn't a moral consideration; it's one based in the storytelling.
    I'll agree with this. Good point.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    I think is the right thing to do. Maybe a special flashback about it.
    What if that's not in his plan?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    What if that's not in his plan?
    Editorial shouldn't have the power to tell a writer what kind of story to tell.

Only fans should be able to do that.
    Last edited by CyberHubbs; 04-24-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Editorial shouldn't have the power to tell a writer what kind of story to tell.

Only fan should be able to do that.
    Awesome!
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    The story would only have made sense shortly after Grim Hunt. There's less of a point to it now that Marla Madison's been killed off, too.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Mattie was used to resurrect Vladimir as a wolf character, quite the cannibal if I remember correctly, so it is to be counted a strong win point for the villains

Using Kaine to resurrect Kraven backfired on that obsessive mother of Ana as Kraven killed her and decided they should move out cause Spider-Man wasn't allowed to kill him
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Mattie Franklin's death was stupid. All aspects of it were pointless, and it's just another example of comic chicks being gristle for the grinder. The entire purpose of her being sacrificed was so that Vldamir could be brought back, right? And then Vlad get 'euthanized' so actually, there was no point to her death at all. This is why 'event' comics are pointless and don't really change anything.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

i hope they bring her back in the near future and i agree with daesim, all mattie was sacrificed for was to "suspect" whether ritual to bring back kraven was gonna work. so in a nutshell she was a science experiment. but one thing i am curios after all this time why doesn't J.Jonah realise that Mattie is gone. i mean aren't they both related, is this marvel's way of screwing things up...?
    Last edited by Toosie25; 04-25-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    Mattie Franklin's death was stupid. All aspects of it were pointless, and it's just another example of comic chicks being gristle for the grinder. The entire purpose of her being sacrificed was so that Vldamir could be brought back, right? And then Vlad get 'euthanized' so actually, there was no point to her death at all. This is why 'event' comics are pointless and don't really change anything.
    How many Spider-Girls/Women do we need?

Also, it wasn't an "event." If it didn't change anything, tell that to the suicidal, loin-clothed maniac running around the Savage Land. Or to Julia Carpenter.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    How many Spider-Girls/Women do we need?

Also, it wasn't an "event." If it didn't change anything, tell that to the suicidal, loin-clothed maniac running around the Savage Land. Or to Julia Carpenter.
    actually it was event, but not a big one. Yes you may be right that it did change a couple of things but only a couple which is the return of two jerks like kraven and kaine, kraven who is still has his powers with a big Achilles heel and another who doesn't have any powers at all even though he was or maybe is still the clone of peter parker. The other big thing was kinda like the passing of the torch for Julia Carpenter to be the next madame webb aho just says sorry. all the more reason for mattie to be brought back because it her death didn't prove anything at all. she was the first victim because of the previous madame web. As for your first question about the number of spiderwomen as i recall there were 6 spiderwomen and what do they.

first one jessica drew - ok she does an appearence but she doesn't contribute much in the spider universe and she is also an avenger so she is all over the place
    second one Julie Carpenter - has become the next madame webb ok she does play her parts but they tend to be either small or just none.
    third one mattie franklin - died after an "experiment"
    fourth one - Charlotte Witter - was a villian but got her powers absorbed by Mattie and is now in a coma so she is useless
    Fifth One - Veranke - was a skrull who became Norman Osborn's pawn for him to rise to power.
    and finally the sixth one - who is Anya Corazon who is spidergirl and not spiderwoman

so so far out of the 6 3 are alive and 3 are dead. i think Mattie as her death was experimental and should return from the dead and in the long run maybe to mentor to Anya Corazon as jessica drew can't do much in the spiderman universe and it would be a comic crossover for her to get involved and also is a full time avenger member and madame web comes and goes.

wow i think i might have shook this thread....

Matti had to die for two reasons: one being that the writer had to show that this is not a game anymore and two, they took the decision to kill someone so it was she who was less used. I mean really, who cared for Mattie? You only remembered her now that she died. And everytime with a dead character is like this, no one cares for the character for a millenia and then someone kills him/her and everyone goes "oh, no my favorite character!!!"

And who cared fro Vladimir either? Not even Mackie didn't care enough.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning