Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - May 25, 2011

This week, Jason Aaron gives a crash course in the wheres and whens a writer should practice their chosen profession. The short answer: write anywhere and everywhere, all the time.

Full article here.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

You are so god damn awesome.

I just finished Astonishing Spider-man and Wolverine #6. It was a really satisfying wrap-up that left me feeling inspired. I haven't read too much Marvel but that whole package was just amazing. Now I gotta cop' me some Scalped! Mr. Aaron, you sic' as hell!

That's reassuring. That "Write Every Day" line used to bum me out... but I guess sitting in the car for 3 hours every day on the way to and from work when I used to think of story beats, structures and jotting them down when I got home still counts.

I don't complete say a page script, or a paragraph of prose everyday but there certainly isn't a day that goes by that I'm not inspired, or that I don't scribble something down that I've thought of for the future.

Draft text messages are the best thing ever, my phone is full of notes that make no sense to anyone else but to me are the start of a story, or a line of dialogue.
    http://comicsaga.blogspot.com/
    Come visit my blog about all things comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
    I do my best thinking in the shower. I've written a whole bunch of comics in the shower.
    Sounds like you need these.
    "RR your powers of Observation are Godlike." - RolandJP

It's amazing how many ideas/pieces of dialogue/solutions to problems in my stories come to me when I slip into the tub. Then I frantically go over them in my head, revising slightly with each pass, so that I don't forget it before I have time to get back downstairs to my computer.

chris

I like good comics. ScotsScribbler's Avatar

I've written in church (back when I still used to go to church) and in the seediest of bars. I've written at day jobs when I was supposed to be working on something else. I've written while making love, while crying over a football game, while watching people fight, while vomiting my guts out, while huddled in the basement with tornadoes overhead, while alone, while in a crowd of thousands, while hopelessly lost, while hallucinating, while humiliated, while on the verge of getting my ass kicked, while wanting to die, while the happiest I could ever possibly be, while pretending to listen to someone else talk, while taking a shit.

+++++

Yeah I doubt this lol.

so when are these entries getting compiled into a coffee table book with a dozen or so scripts (one could argue it'd demonstrate "evolution as a writer") and initial sketches to the side from Msrs Stewart, Kubert, Garney (ftw!), Dillon and Guera.

I'm just sayin, yo. I'd buy the hell out of that.