Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MTV's Teen Wolf

Arrow MTV's Teen Wolf

Looks better then I expected. I'll watch the pilot for sure.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/teen_wolf/series.jhtml

Holy cow that looks bad. How did that show even get greenlighted?
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

It looks basically Twilight with werewolves. Or teen angst with werewolves.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

Meh I spent my teenage years watching big wolf on campus which pretty much was teen wolf
    Has to remember his suggestion for the traitor game

#17! RED/MRF/NKA/AMD/RZL/SHP/RHN/MIB/VF/ALC/ NWG/MN/HW

can you crack the code?

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Meh I spent my teenage years watching big wolf on campus which pretty much was teen wolf
    Which I admit was guilty pleasure. This...pass. Give me a vampire or werewolf show that isn't trying to copy off of Twilight
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

No van surfing, no watching.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    No van surfing, no watching.
    I still wont watch unless they play Beach Boys while van surfing

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Which I admit was guilty pleasure. This...pass. Give me a vampire or werewolf show that isn't trying to copy off of Twilight
    That would be nice.

Anyone notice that no one gives Frankenstein any play anymore. Well, no one but Dean Koontz. It's all vampires, werewolves and zombies anymore (and not real voodoo zombies either. Cinematic Romero-style ghoul/zombie hybrids).
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    That would be nice.

Anyone notice that no one gives Frankenstein any play anymore. Well, no one but Dean Koontz. It's all vampires, werewolves and zombies anymore (and not real voodoo zombies either. Cinematic Romero-style ghoul/zombie hybrids).
    I guess it goes to most directors cant adapt Frankenstein into being scary in a more modern setting, also given how Vampires and Werewolves are treated today, it isn't the concept that gets teenage girls hot. Frankenstein is basically a tall deformed undead guy so he's not going to score some romance points. The funny thing about Frankenstein is that Frankenstein started the whole undead monster with a heart of gold concept in films and tv shows long before vampires made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I guess it goes to most directors cant adapt Frankenstein into being scary in a more modern setting, also given how Vampires and Werewolves are treated today, it isn't the concept that gets teenage girls hot. Frankenstein is basically a tall deformed undead guy so he's not going to score some romance points. The funny thing about Frankenstein is that Frankenstein started the whole undead monster with a heart of gold concept in films and tv shows long before vampires made it cool.
    Y'know, I think some people were misinterpreting what the phrase "gothic romance" actually means.

I guess people don't go for gothic anymore. At least not in the old period piece or semi-period piece (like the Universal horror flicks which had cars and telephones, but also had gypsies that looked like they stepped out of 1880s Romania) sense. I do, but that's because I like stories that take you to a different place and time. It's interesting to see what kind of monsters become popular when. I remember reading someone said that the most popular monsters right now (vampires, werewolves, zombies) have a strong "disease" metaphor. I guess getting sick still really scares people. Succubi seemed to come out of nowhere. Capcom includes one in Darkstalkers and now they're the go-to female monster for manga, video games and webcomics. Medusa had a shot at it years ago (Hammer Studios even made a movie called "The Gorgon"), but I guess there wasn't enough sex appeal. Ghosts, witches and mummies have fallen on harder times. Specific monsters like the Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera and Mr. Hyde are probably seen as too limiting. And ghouls have been assimilated into the whole "zombie" concept.

Oh well, it's all part of the culture.

That would be nice.

You already have necrophilia with the vampire and they don't have stiches (and usually are wealthier)
    Has to remember his suggestion for the traitor game

#17! RED/MRF/NKA/AMD/RZL/SHP/RHN/MIB/VF/ALC/ NWG/MN/HW

can you crack the code?

There was some voodoo zombies in the latest PotC movie, but I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_filler View Post
    There was some voodoo zombies in the latest PotC movie, but I know what you mean.
    I've been wanting to check out that movie. The problem with using voodoo in the movies is the same with using any other sort of sorcery and witchcraft in movies. Basically, that they all tend to be real religions somewhere. I wonder if using voodoo in the movie will get Disney in trouble from some Haitian groups or maybe an "Anti-Vodun Defamation League".

Y'know, I've actually written a story about a ghoul recently for my storytelling group just because I felt like doing some "monster rehab" (which sounds like the name of some sort of reality show). I would have figured with all our issues in the Middle East, Arabic demons like ghouls would be getting more play.

Spider of the Shadows Assassin Spider's Avatar

Y'know, I think some people were misinterpreting what the phrase "gothic romance" actually means.

I guess people don't go for gothic anymore. At least not in the old period piece or semi-period piece (like the Universal horror flicks which had cars and telephones, but also had gypsies that looked like they stepped out of 1880s Romania) sense. I do, but that's because I like stories that take you to a different place and time. It's interesting to see what kind of monsters become popular when. I remember reading someone said that the most popular monsters right now (vampires, werewolves, zombies) have a strong "disease" metaphor. I guess getting sick still really scares people. Succubi seemed to come out of nowhere. Capcom includes one in Darkstalkers and now they're the go-to female monster for manga, video games and webcomics. Medusa had a shot at it years ago (Hammer Studios even made a movie called "The Gorgon"), but I guess there wasn't enough sex appeal. Ghosts, witches and mummies have fallen on harder times. Specific monsters like the Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera and Mr. Hyde are probably seen as too limiting. And ghouls have been assimilated into the whole "zombie" concept.

Oh well, it's all part of the culture.
    In the case of vampires, it wasn't just fear of disease but also fear of "corruption," or moral and spiritual contamination, at the hands of "foreign elements." Look at Dracula; the conversion of Lucy Westenra into a vampire was a metaphorical representation of Victorian England's fear of dangerous foreign men debasing wholesome English girls and turning them into wanton whores. Later in that same book, Dracula forces Mina Harker to partake of his blood as an initiation into vampirism, and it's treated very much like being raped, especially under the then-prevalent idea that rape was a permanent defilement of the victim and if written in a modern context would almost be reminiscent of forced oral sex.

In the same vein as Dracula (pun not intended but rather fitting), Carmilla also counts in that regard, with a special touch of homophobia as well. The titular character was a beautiful but unnatural stranger luring a demure, virginal English girl into a world of unnatural decadence so extreme she would even seek out other girls to slake her lusts. (She was actually trying to turn her into a vampire, by the way, but we're deconstructing metaphors here.)

As for werewolves, part of the reason they would appeal to teenagers is that at that particular stage in human development, you're growing hair in places you didn't think you could or should have hair and your brain is under assault from a wellspring of all-new hormones that radically change your reactions to the people around you. Not to mention that with both vampires and werewolves, their modern incarnations are representative of many teenagers who feel like they have to hide part of themselves to avoid rejection from the world around them and who struggle against themselves not to be overtaken by these foreign new instincts and drives rising within them. (Hell, Harry Potter in the fifth book thought his crabby attitude was Voldemort trying to possess him, with full ignorance of puberty and its associated hormonal changes, so vampires and werewolves aren't alone there.)

On the subject of vampires as love interests in modern fantasy literature, vampires there serve as supernatural versions of the dangerous but nonetheless alluring "bad boy" who represents the kind of freedom from convention that a "nice guy" doesn't quite offer. Vampires in this version can still represent "corruption" like their Victorian predecessors but differ from said predecessors in that their "victims"/love interests often desire to be "corrupted," even if the vampire protagonists themselves would rather not, regarding such a conversion as a "defilement" of their virtue in much the same way a more mundane bad boy protagonist might view taking a more innocent girl's virginity. The "vampire as bad boy" archetype can also be twisted for copious angst and tragedy, insofar as the "bad boy"/vampire wants desperately to deny his nature so that he can be the kind of man he feels the "good girl" (often the POV character) deserves and will truly be happy with but is constantly faced with temptation and the ghosts of his past returning to ruin what chances he may or may not have with said "good girl."

But maybe I'm overthinking all this.
    Back in black, the hunter is ready to claim his prey.

Is it me, or does the main guy look exactly like Sam Winchester from Supernatural?