The review for FF #4 on bleedingcool mentions that the comic has only 20 pages of content. It's the latest in a number of comics that Marvel has reduced the story content for, including FF#'s 2 & 3, Incredible Hulks #'s 627 and 628, Venom #2, Herc #2 and Journey into Mystery #623.
When Tom Brevoort was questioned about this a few weeks ago, his reply only addressed FF #'s 2 & 3, and in those cases it was because the artist basically needed catch up time. Nothing was mentioned about the other titles. I've posted a few questions about this on Tom Brevoort's formspring account about this, but I've had no reply yet (my first question was over a week ago).
What I'd like to do in this thread is make a list of Marvel's comics that only have 20 pages of content (see below), with the ultimate aim of highlighting the fact that Marvel is giving retailers and readers no advance notice of the reduction in story content. If you could post the comic, including issue number, and the number of story pages, I'll keep the first posted updated with the info.
Alternatively is someone from Marvel management wants to explain why no advance notice is given, I'd be more than happy to see that!
UPDATE (17th August)
After more than 6 weeks of check, I can now confirm that Marvel has moved their $2.99 books to a 20 page count. There may be the occasional exception with more pages, but there also appear to be a few exceptions with fewer pages (glares @Spider-Girl #8). So going forward, I'm just going to focus on the standard sized $4 books, but if anyone notices that the $3 books are reverting back to 22 pages en masse, please shout.
My thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread! This is how August is looking so far for standard sized $3.99 books:
Less than 22 pages
- MOON KNIGHT #4 - 19 story pages
- ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4 - 20 story pages
- NEW AVENGERS #15 - 20 pages
- ULTIMATE FALLOUT #5 - 20 pages
- PUNISHERMAX #16 - 20 pages
- VENGEANCE #2 - 20 pages
- CAPTAIN AMERICA #2 - 20 pages
- MARVEL UNIVERSE VS WOLVERINE #3 - 20 pages
- ULTIMATE FALLOUT #6 - 21 pages
- UNCANNY X-MEN #542 - 20 pages
22 pages, or more
- WOLVERINE #13 - 22 story pages
- DARK TOWER: Battle of Tull #3 - 22 story pages, plus additional behind the scenes material
- ANITA BLAKE: Circus of the Damned - Ingenue #5 - 22 pages
- FEAR ITSELF #5 - 22 pages
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #667 - 23 pages
- THE STAND: The Night Has Come #1 - 22 pages, plus additional behind the scenes material
- SUPREME POWER #3 - 22 pages
- AVENGERS #16 - 22 pages
- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #507 - 22 pages
- WOLVERINE & BLACK CAT: CLAWS 2 #2 - 22 pages
- X-MEN SCHISM #3 - 22 pages