Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Reliving a Gaming Classic: "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"

With a "Thor" game on the shelves now and "Captain America" and "Green Lantern" making the leap form movies to consoles, we look back at "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," an example of movie gaming done right.

Full article here.

Great game, definitely one of the best super hero games ever and what should be a successful template for all movie tie-in games. But I couldn't win that last battle against "Deadpool" despite hours trying.

It's a fun game for sure but I'm not sure it's a "classic". Of course I've only played it, both Marvel Ultimate Alliance games and the woefully bland gaming action of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.

That final battle vs Deadpool is almost ridiculous in how hard they make it. I seriously was losing my cool when I couldn't beat it but finally was able to. The trick was mostly just being able to make the jumps when was destroying parts of the dam.

I was surprised that Thor looked so crappy given Marvel's previous efforts so I'm hoping that Captain America and Green Lantern are better. Maybe I'll buy Thor in 6 months or so when the price comes down.

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

This review sounds great, I'll definitely have to pick this game up.

Speaking of Wolverine video games, I finally got around to playing the old Xbox's 'X2 Wolverine's Revenge'. Wow what a POS game this was. Turned it off after an hour, it was so bad.
    Comics still reading: Floppies- Saga TPB- GI Joe ARAH, Sixth Gun, Hawkeye, Usagi Yojimbo. DC nu52 is unreadable...

Definitely one of the best comic or movie games this gen. That's strange considering most movie and comic games suck. It's even more rare to see a game be better than the movie. (Then again, being urinated on is better than the movie.)

Great game, though not as good as Shattered Dimensions or Arkham Asylum of course.

BANNED

When a movie tie in game is better than the movie itself... you know you're in bizarro world.

Was a genuinely great action game. The fighting system was pretty cool, the "quick time" moments weren't bad, and the graphics are still pretty sweet today.

Watching Wolverine heal was awesome! It just needed more veriety in the finishing moves. After about the 20th time of pointing a guys shotgun back into his face it became a little old. The Sentinal level was great!

I've never seen such a glowing review for this game.

Probably because it was a terrible piece of trash, that got the poor to mediocre critical reception that it deserved.

Raven is known for producing shoddy, bug filled glitch-fests that rely on a strong license or existing franchise, but this game was bad even by their standards. The game was nearly unplayable due to constant, game crippling bugs.

After the failure of X-Men Origins Wolverine, Raven barely even functions as a developer, just being used to support other studios under Activision.

A mindless GoW ripoff, with a movie tie-in, and no quality control. Yeah, thats a real hidden gem right there.

Classic? lol, you can't be serious. Sure, it was better than the usual superhero movie tie-in fare, but that isn't saying much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lackshmana View Post
    A mindless GoW ripoff, with a movie tie-in, and no quality control. Yeah, thats a real hidden gem right there.
    How is anything ever a God of War ripoff, when God of War wasn't anything more than a hack and slash to begin with? It's like some people only started playing games a year ago.

That said, Wolverine was decent at best. Level design was eh, the only thing that really set it apart was the graphic depiction of the healing factor.

The only truly great comic book movie video game was Spider-Man 2. Maybe Batman on Genesis, but that's a whole different age of gaming there. Otherwise, nothing. Well, maybe the Punisher game, which was kinda sorta a movie tie-in, more or less, and while not transcendent gaming, holy crap was that a fun third person shooter.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by grphxkindaguy View Post
    This review sounds great, I'll definitely have to pick this game up.

Speaking of Wolverine video games, I finally got around to playing the old Xbox's 'X2 Wolverine's Revenge'. Wow what a POS game this was. Turned it off after an hour, it was so bad.
    Not a fan of Luke Skywalker as Wolverine?
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    The only truly great comic book movie video game was Spider-Man 2.
    Batman on nes was an amazing game.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Not a fan of Luke Skywalker as Wolverine?
    I was more disturbed about the fact that Joker was Wolverine in that one. But as always, Mark Hamill did a great job.

I agree that the game was better than the movie. The only thing that keeps it from being a real classic is the ginormous repetition.

Hardly a classic. It's not a bad game, but pretty mediocre overall.
    Last edited by Meadow; 05-25-2011 at 05:27 AM.

A Gaming Classic?
    Really, CBR?

'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."