Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Tanis View Post
    The film is just so damn terribly made, & has absolutely no redeeming qualities to it. Everyone (with the exception of Michael Gough) was horribly miscast, especially Clooney as Batman. That was one of the worst, if not the worst, casting choice I've ever seen for a superhero film. Not to mention the writing, directing, etc. were all just bad. Plus, I'll never forgive them to lowering Bane into a low grade henchman. With Poison Ivy, I never cared for her character, & seeing B&R just made it worse for me.
    I think Clooney would have made an excellent serious Batman. There was one scene where he was kinda brooding, where he emerged from a darkened room to comment on Alfred's deteriorating health.
    Storm and The Black Panther, T'Challa and Ororo

It's foolish to hate characters for actions that are controlled by writers.

If you don't like a character's behavior, blame the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by moneyspider View Post
    My take on this is that a lot of people wanted a grim and gritty Batman, and not a movie that seemed like it was written for kids or teenagers because of the silly jokes and visuals.
    Technically comic books & superheroes are for kids, but I still get your point.
    "People don't actually like Wonder Woman. They like the idea in their head of what a "wonder woman" ought to be, which usually bears little resemblance to the character in the comics." - JKCarrier

Quote Originally Posted by Boonciaver View Post
    A ton of indie comics are most definitely not for kids. Vertigo and Image also have a bunch of books that aren't.
    Hobos frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.

Like someone else said a few pages back, the idea of a serious live-action Batman is in and of itself an uphill battle.

Let's face it: in real life, pretty much all of Batman's enemies would look more dignified than he does. Almost all of them know to put on pants when they go outdoors.

Comic books and animation can cheat anatomy all they like, but live-action is severely limited.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I was at the store a year or two back and had a choice between that, and a triple-back the the first three movies. Though it was only a couple bucks cheaper, I went with the triple.

Isn't there a comics adaptation as well? Has anyone read it?
    I have the comic. Its better than the movie, less puns and what not. Cloonys costume translates well on paper since its a rather thin on film, looks great in the comics. His eyes are drawn fullwhite instead of with the sockets.
    The art is good for the most part, alot better than the Batman Forever comic art, that was just atrocious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    A ton of indie comics are most definitely not for kids. Vertigo and Image also have a bunch of books that aren't.
    Well I think he was saying originally they were meant mainly for kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonciaver View Post
    Hmm. This is true, but at what point is it OK for a person to watch something for kids and enjoy it? Do adults only have to watch dark and serious toned things filled with negativity? Not picking on you personaly, I was just thinking of that the other day.

I guess in my book when its not ok to watch something for kids is when its filled with marketing of toys and no real direction. Mainly because thats not too entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Isn't there a comics adaptation as well? Has anyone read it?
    I didn't read it, but I did look at the first page and it was interesting because it started with Bruce and Dick entering the museum and we see the cameras, lights, sound equipment and crew members making it look like a film production. I only bought the adaptations for Returns and Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberLotus View Post
    Like someone else said a few pages back, the idea of a serious live-action Batman is in and of itself an uphill battle.

Let's face it: in real life, pretty much all of Batman's enemies would look more dignified than he does. Almost all of them know to put on pants when they go outdoors.

Comic books and animation can cheat anatomy all they like, but live-action is severely limited.
    Yep, that says more about my point than I actually articulated. Thank you, Rubber Man!

Justified Ancient of MuMu yvahed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    The Nolan movies are definitely not for kids either. I saw a few parents with kids under 10 walk out of Batman Begins. I think that the next Bat series will be more kid friendly.

I remember someone making a list of most evil people in the history of the world ever....

It went something like:

Hitler
    Stalin
    Pol Pot
    Joel Schumacher (Batman & Robin)

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    I remember someone making a list of most evil people in the history of the world ever....

It went something like:

Hitler
    Stalin
    Pol Pot
    Joel Schumacher (Batman & Robin)
    That list is wrong...you forgot Genghis Khan and Elizabeth Báthory.
    Last edited by Scud; 05-30-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    Hobos frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.

Overall the movie was bad. But there was one good thing about it which was Alicia Silverstone in tight leather.

Junior Member Dial W for What the...?'s Avatar

2 words: George F,n Clooney!!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric J View Post
    Yeah, I dont like Ross's batman either. But in terms of newer costumes, Nolans first costume was actually more stuff and less impressive than every costume in the movies. Take note of the shoulder, chest, and stomach area. And what they have to impliment to cover it, such as his hand and the the bar of the fire escape. Cloonys looks like the most mobile thing compared to it, and he did have head movement in all directions if you watch the movie where as in the Begins movie Bales head seemed to be stuck in a downward position.

The thing is that at least with the Nolan costumes, they're functional and not vanity like the Burton/Schumacher ones. Nolan's suits look like something designed for combat. Why would the Burton/Schumacher suits, save for Returns, have sculpted muscles or even nipples?

Why do we hate Batman & Robin?
    Let me give you some reasons:
    1) Robin as a moron
    2) nipples
    3) the horrible acting
    4) Batgirl as an extremely moronic version of Xena
    5) Clooney
    6)the slapstick approach of the whole concept
    7) Gotham City depicted as an gigantic Super Mario level
    And who can forget the legendary bat credit card?

I think the Adam West TV show was a product of its time, so trying to recreate it in the late 90s. I think you have a comic book movie that is light hearted and fun, without a campy farce like Batman and Robin was. There was just no interesting plot or characterization in B & R, everyone was a one dimensional cartoon character, it lacked a human element, that all good comic book movies have.