Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - May 23, 2011

Tim has a candid conversation with Joe Casey about his upcoming work on Marvel's "Vengeance," with artist Nick Dragotta. Think of an event comic, minus the event, and you're on the right track.

Full article here.

Joe Casey is my hero.

Great writer, great interview! Couldn't be more amused nor agree more with what he had to say!
    'nuff said

BANNED

A refreshingly honest interview.

I would buy this book. But theres one thing that gets in the way. The 3.99 price point. That maeans I cant support this book and will instead buy it in trade.

I know that damages sales and the chances of an ongoing/sequal but y'know what. Thats not my fault.

Marvel have been too busy marketing Thor and Cap books that wont bring in any new readers that they forget to look at why the sales are so down in the first place.

Im a long time reader of 20 years who would love to pick up a book like this but not at that price point. And not for a book that will end just as it finds its momentum.

@Sabrewulf: Who are you trying to Kid?

Brian Hibbs, retailer that actually has numbers for what he sells, and can feel the trends of the reading-public in a very real way, has just told us that the MAJORITY of the trades he orders, should not even exist in the first place.

That, when people think, and say, to themselves and others: "I'll trade-wait", they're actually not. They're piling up another book, another trade, in their MINDS, that THEY WON'T EVER READ! It's just another story to forget about, and move on to something else.

Now, with this obligatory bitching taken care of, I would like to agree that yes, I see no reason for this book to be 3.99. None of the creators involved have had big hits that would warrant such a price tag, in quite some time.

And weren't Marvel supposed to drop their limited series to 2.99 anyway??

Kind of annoying!

BANNED

Huh, if the book is any good Ill buy the trade. Its not rocket science.

But yeah I get it. Many times ive decided to buy the trade and the monthlies havent lived up to expectations. Yet my shelf is full of Modoks 11, Losers, Beyond, Savaage She Hulk and more.

The best thing about trade waiting is you dont have to buy stuff that Marvel hype and turns down to be a let down. Thats about 90% of boks right now.

I'll be buying this.

I have to admit: I don't understand the "I would buy this book except for the $3.99 price point" comments. It doesn't matter to me, or Joe apparently, if you buy the book, but what's the cut off for "worth buying"? $2.99 is fine, but $3.99 is outrageous? For a comic you want to read? What about $3.14?

Seems like you're cutting yourself off from something you might like if a book sounds interesting, but you're letting a dollar get in the way.

The approach I take is: if I want it, I buy it. If I don't want it, I don't buy it. It's a pretty simple approach.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Reviews -- My CBR Reviews/Articles
    GeniusboyFiremelon -- My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyCallahan View Post
    I have to admit: I don't understand the "I would buy this book except for the $3.99 price point" comments. It doesn't matter to me, or Joe apparently, if you buy the book, but what's the cut off for "worth buying"? $2.99 is fine, but $3.99 is outrageous? For a comic you want to read? What about $3.14?

Seems like you're cutting yourself off from something you might like if a book sounds interesting, but you're letting a dollar get in the way.

The approach I take is: if I want it, I buy it. If I don't want it, I don't buy it. It's a pretty simple approach.
    Pretty much.

I can see why people are holding the line and I give them full respect for doing so. But that being said, that's kind of beside the point for me here since I'm interested in the concept enough to invest $3.99.

I will buy this, Joe!!!!
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

I'll buy the books AND the trade, go Joe!

And no, I am not joking :)

Quote Originally Posted by Curse_7781 View Post
    I'll buy the books AND the trade, go Joe!

And no, I am not joking :)
    That's cool, but...

Why would do that? Why buy a book twice? I mean, I don't do that. I buy 'em in one way or the other, cause I've got way too many books lying around here anyway. A man only has so much room.

Practice Make Awesome lheiskell's Avatar

The no-spin anti-marketing, marketing won me over. Now I am curious. I turned in my Previews order early. Looks like a trade buy for me, but if buying the single issues proves a point, I'll sign up.

Great interview and seemingly interesting mini, but given how abysmally unenjoyable "Zodiac" was, I'm skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by lheiskell View Post
    The no-spin anti-marketing, marketing won me over.
    I was interested before, but I think this guy is trying too hard to be too cool for school. Yeah, I get it, you don't care. Now tell me about the story.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!