Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quite a mixed bag this month. I (or my friend Dave) bought the Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Frankenstein, Marvel Team-Up, Thor and Tomb of Dracula off the stands. Over the ensuing four decades, I also had the Amazing Adventures, Avengers, Conan, Creatures on the Loose, Fantastic Four, Hero for Hire, Kamandi, Marvel Premiere, Spoof, Sub-Mariner, Swamp Thing and Werewolf By Night. None of those books remain in my collection, though most are reprinted in my Essential, Showcase or TPB collections. I do still have copies of the 100-Page Super-Spectacular, Batman, Demon, Detective, Justice League, Kull, Secret Origins, Shazam!, Sword of Sorcery, Wanted and World's Finest.

Cei-U!
    I summon the flashback!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

FF purist-snob

For December 1972,

100-Page Super Spectacular DC-14 (DC)
    Amazing Adventures #17 (Marvel)
    Captain Marvel #25 (Marvel)
    Fantastic Four #132(Marvel)
    Kull the Conqueror #7 (Marvel)
    Hero for Hire #7 (Marvel)
    Marvel Feature #8 (Marvel)
    Marvel Premiere #7 (Marvel)
    Marvel's Greatest Comics #41 (Marvel)
    Sub-Mariner #59 (Marvel)
    Weird Worlds #4 (DC)

and I regret not buying Secret Origins 1, Conan 24, or Adventure 426.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I'm "happy" to hear that someone else was let down by JLofA 104.
    I was buying JLA faithfully, and loving every issue. I hadn't even thought about that Shaggy Man issue in decades, but as soon as I saw the cover today, I remembered my sense of dissatisfaction 40 years ago. I thought it was only the really special issues that made such an impact on me, but it turns out the big letdown issues stuck with me as well. And what's weird is that if asked, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a comic that was a real let-down "on the spot", right now. But, as soon as I saw JLA 104 again, that sinking feeling hit me from across the ages.
    "We're Santa's elves, and we're here to tell you about ourselves!"--Summer and Eve

Veteran Member

The only issue I recognise as something I bought and read at the time is Spoof #4. This was in the early months of my hiatus from buying comics, but apparently I still nabbed the occasional thing here and there. Missed out on so much good stuff, though, until years later.

Comics that I bought in December of 1972, with the ones that I still own in bold:

Action Comics #421: This is going to sound ridiculous when you see the cover, but I didn't realize that Superman was basically fighting Popeye in this issue. His opponent even had an origin involving radioactive sea kelp. All that I can say in my defense is that I was only seven at the time.

Doom Patrol #122: This was my only experience with Doom Patrol until the late '80s. But I never forgot Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man.

And sadly, that is it. I didn't have an allowance yet, so I had to talk my parents into buying comics for me. They picked up this issue randomly while I was down with the flu.

In later years, I also bought:

Avengers #109
    Conan #24
    Fantastic Four #132
    Hero for Hire #7

But I sold off most of my silver age comics in '91, including everything listed above.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

From appearances, this must've been my busiest buying month in well over a year, albeit all four titles were reprints -- 100-Page Super-Spectacular #14, Metal Men #42, Doom Patrol #122 & Challengers of the Unknown #78. Pretty sure those last three marked my introductions to those strips, though I know I remember seeing various issues on the spinner racks in the late '60s; I just never read them.

And, of course, my regular purchases of Warren's Creepy (#51) & FM (#96) continued apace.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I had, but no longer own, Roman Holidays #1, Shazam #1, and Super Goof #24.

I own reprints of Amazing Spider-Man #118, Captain Marvel #25, Conan #24 (this month's pick for my favorite comic overall), Marvel Team-Up #7, and Swamp Thing #3.

I own actual copies of 100-Page Super Spectacular #14, Action #421, Avengers #109, Creatures on the Loose #22, The Demon #6, Fantastic Four #132, Hero for Hire #7, Sword of Sorcery #1, Tarzan #217 (I think I own this one...), Tomb of Dracula #7, and Weird Worlds #4.

I wish I owned copies of Scamp #10 and Scooby-Doo #16.

My favorite cover of the month is Johnny Thunder #1.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

^I used to have that. It was reprints of old 1950's stories.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Yeah, there's a Trigger Twins issue as well--very nice art in both.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I think I've got the Trigger Twins ish. That one, or the Thunder.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Captain America #159 - Probably my favorite title at the time...I was really into Englehart's long, involved story-arcs.
    Detective Comics #432 - Clever little mystery story by Robbins & Brown, as Batman has to disguise himself as a dead crook and retrace his steps in order to track down the crook's partners.
    Marvel Feature #8 - My first run-in with the "Dreaded Deadline Doom", as an unscheduled reprint was inserted into the middle of a storyline. The reprint was new to me, but it still annoyed me, because the previous issue had ended on a dramatic cliffhanger, and I'd have to wait another month to find out what happened (and with the spotty distribution in those days, there was no guarantee I'd find it...).
    Marvel Team-Up #7 - I distinctly remember my folks buying this issue for me when I was sick in bed. They may have bought some of the other ones from this month too, but for some reason this is the one I associate with that particular bout of flu.
    Metal Men #42 - My first exposure to this oddball team. They quickly became favorites, and I was very happy when the series was revived a little while later.
    Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #129 - No idea why I picked this up, instead of Superman, Action, or Superboy. My parents may have bought it for me, as per above, or maybe I was just in the mood for Superman and the other titles were sold out. I really liked the Rose and the Thorn backup story.
    Wanted, the World's Most Dangerous Villains #6 - Even at a young age, I could tell that "Golden Age" comics were different from modern ones, but the differences were more intriguing than off-putting.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

I picked up Johnny Thunder no. 1 a few months ago. I would like eventually to fill out my collection of all these short run reprints that DC did in the 70s. It's unlkely that I'll ever get all of the originals, so it would be nice to have the reprints at least.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I picked up Johnny Thunder no. 1 a few months ago. I would like eventually to fill out my collection of all these short run reprints that DC did in the 70s. It's unlkely that I'll ever get all of the originals, so it would be nice to have the reprints at least.
    As far as this particular title is concerned, I don't think there more than a couple or so.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Yes, Johnny Thunder only was two issues.* The same with Boy Commandos and its two issue reprint series. Inferior Five returned for two issues (continuing the numbering). Challengers of the Unknown returned for three. Doom Patrol for three. Legion of Super-Heroes had its four issue reprint series. Four-Star Battle Tales also had a four issue series. Secret Origins had seven issues. Wanted had nine. And Black Magic also had nine. And then there was the much longer continuation of Strange Adventures with all reprints and its companion series, From Beyond the Unknown.

Many of these short-lived reprint series popped up between 1972 and 1973--after DC had done its great 52 page format experiment and before DC did its great 100 page format experiment. I wonder if they just found themselves with a lot of extra reprints they had prepped for the 52 page books, so they burned off some of them in these series, before using many more up in the 100 page books.

*(Edit: Okay it was three for JT, I stand corrected.)
    Last edited by An Ear In The Fireplace; 12-05-2012 at 10:23 PM.