Page 105 of 163 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2436

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    . . . it is IMO the best showing of her current costume yet. Though I still wish they'd ditch it and go back to the classic number.
    Completely agree.
    I wish I could say the new costume is growing on me but it just isn't.
    I'm hoping the series will pick up as well.
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

BANNED

There are good elements in this costume, like the stripes on the legs and the shapes on the gloves. It gives her a sense of power labels, like something you'd see on a laptop or apple product skin. It's good.

The problem is that damn red "P" on her chest. I understand the issue with the 'boob window', but at the very least, add it back and just put a mesh screen on it so she isn't bare-breasted through it. The other funny thing is that the open window is seen as sexist, but the writing isn't. She hasn't changed. She's still just fan service. Why not just keep the window if her depiction stays the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    Definitely in her list of must-read stories for a PG fan.
    Yes it is, and that's kind of a problem. That one of PG's best stories is really a story for another character. She really doesn't have any stand-out solo stories, the kind that you talk about for years after. There's no DKR or Year One for example for PG. No All Star Superman or Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow for her. That's what I was hoping for from her series and never got.

Sure, there were some nice stories, but nothing like that. Nothing that defined the character or made you go "wow!"

Maybe we'll get something like that from WF, I don't know, it's possible. Though again, if it happens, I hope she's back to the old costume by then. I rather doubt it though. I think that ship has sailed. Decent stories are probably the most to hope for. A nice mini, perhaps by Conway himself would be fun, but DC doesn't seem to be doing those any more, and PG's last mini was a while ago.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

If I have to wait 30 years, I will hold faith that one day Power Girl will be back in a costume that doesn't suck complete and total ass.

In some ways, I kind of wish they'd taken the opportunity to change Kara's origin a bit with the Nu52.

Instead of simply the Supergirl of Earth 2, I kind of wish they'd made her the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman of Earth 2. Which would have required sticking a bit to the old timeline at least with regards to how old they were if they wanted a PG who was anything other than a child, but would have served to make her distinct from Supergirl. Especially if they'd stuck the Earth 2WW with the Nu52 WW's origin, making Kara half-Kryptonian and one quarter Earth god.

I mean if they were going to do big changes, and alter the character so much already, why not go all the way? It would certainly give her a higher profile, as opposed to the "not quite as good as the real Supergirl" that DC treats her as now. The one who never participates in the Superman Family crossovers.

And it might well have gotten PG some press coverage as the "Daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman".

Thoughts on this?

I know that Frank Miller tried a version of this for his Supergirl in DKSB...

I do think it still could be done if DC wanted to, and if Levitz was willing to devote an arc to explaining the whole thing. Though it would have been much simpler if it had been done at the start.
    Last edited by gwydion; 11-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Try my Blog!

In some ways, I kind of wish they'd taken the opportunity to change Kara's origin a bit with the Nu52.

Instead of simply the Supergirl of Earth 2, I kind of wish they'd made her the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman of Earth 2. Which would have required sticking a bit to the old timeline at least with regards to how old they were if they wanted a PG who was anything other than a child, but would have served to make her distinct from Supergirl. Especially if they'd stuck the Earth 2WW with the Nu52 WW's origin, making Kara half-Kryptonian and one quarter Earth god.

I mean if they were going to do big changes, and alter the character so much already, why not go all the way? It would certainly give her a higher profile, as opposed to the "not quite as good as the real Supergirl" that DC treats her as now. The one who never participates in the Superman Family crossovers.

And it might well have gotten PG some press coverage as the "Daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman".

Thoughts on this?

I do think it still could be done if DC wanted to, and if Levitz was willing to devote an arc to explaining the whole thing. Though it would have been much simpler if it had been done at the start.

I like the sound of that

Stanly Lau hooking it up every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    Stanly Lau hooking it up every time.

Nice one! And one I have never seen before.
    Try my Blog!

Thoughts on this?

The concept for PG originally was she was going to be Kal-L and Lois' daughter, but DC got cold feet and made her the Earth-Two Supergirl instead.

Also, everytime I see that silly "P" on the new costume, I remember when SSK made her a "P" symbol in JSA and she crushed it to powder. No boob window? Even if not, she doesn't need that silly reject from the 80's costume she has now.

The current costume is terrible, but not her worst:

You'd think they'd learn from their many, many mistakes, but if they did they wouldn't keep making them:

Fun fact: the window was originally removed at the insistence of Jenette Kahn, because she thought it was sexist. Me, I can take it or leave it because my favorite thing about PG is her bitchy attitude.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Well, the window was never terribly important to me either. You can get all that and more very easily in any event outside of comics. But I also liked her attitude, though I didn't think it was bitchy as such, but more a combination of her wanting to assert herself, but also being a bit unsure of herself at the same time. And of course as later shown in her own series and in the best of the later JSA stuff, she outgrew the unsure part and simply became confident and assertive.

I actually think that making her the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman would have worked better with the theme of WF, and made her more comparable to Huntress, who had both parents in the biz so to speak. And it would have raised her profile a bit more. It's not something I'm fanatical about, but I think that done right, it could have been nice. And would have made her more than simply the Earth 2 version of SG, which she is now---though her personality is distinct.
    Last edited by gwydion; 12-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    Try my Blog!

Well, one thing about it: when PG first appeared and she was a sarcastic, smart ass bitch, she stood out. Now a lot of characters are written closer to her, which hurts a little bit. I also always felt her bitchy personality was a cover up for her more troubled side..she's interesting because she can be an obnoxious big mouth one second and crying to herself the next..she has a different kind of vulnerability than the nerdy Clark Kent has, but she has it and that makes her easy to care for.

I will say I am surprised that DC went away from a visual that was so popular and made the character so famous. It's clearly change for the sake of change.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

They'll go back to her iconic look or similar in the future I'd wager. And hey, there's always Power Girl in Ame-Comi Girls.

On the personality topic, I like how she was portrayed in say her titular Power Girl series from before the reboot. I guess still sarcastic and sharp and whatnot, but with a humorous niceness to her.

I actually think that making her the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman would have worked better with the theme of WF
    Then wouldn't she have black hair? That'd be a change.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-04-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    They'll go back to her iconic look or similar in the future I'd wager. And hey, there's always Power Girl in Ame-Comi Girls.

On the personality topic, I like how she was portrayed in say her titular Power Girl series from before the reboot. I guess still sarcastic and sharp and whatnot, but with a humorous niceness to her.

Then wouldn't she have black hair? That'd be a change.
    Yeah, there's that. They could simply ignore it and just show her blond with no explanation. That would be my favored approach. Or they could change the hair. That part matters less in distinguishing her from SG.
    Try my Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Well, one thing about it: when PG first appeared and she was a sarcastic, smart ass bitch, she stood out. Now a lot of characters are written closer to her, which hurts a little bit. I also always felt her bitchy personality was a cover up for her more troubled side..she's interesting because she can be an obnoxious big mouth one second and crying to herself the next..she has a different kind of vulnerability than the nerdy Clark Kent has, but she has it and that makes her easy to care for.

I will say I am surprised that DC went away from a visual that was so popular and made the character so famous. It's clearly change for the sake of change.
    i agree with you. She was ahead at her time.

good insight

anybody else getting this?