Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 328
  1. #301
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    STREET FIGHTER
    MEGA MAN
    DEVIL MAY CRY
    RESIDENT EVIL

    HOW HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF THEM?!!!!

    That's it! It's obvious you aren't a video gamer.
    Of course I'm not. I'd already said I wasn't, several times. Believe it or not, several million people, including most middle aged men, aren't video gamers. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? If I started talking about British cult TV from the sixties or some other interest of mine, would you have a clue what I was on about?
    Last edited by tony ingram; 12-28-2012 at 12:45 AM.

  2. #302
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Dude, you're handwaving a MULTI 100 BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS!

    Do you think that games like Call of Duty selling a million copies in one night is just small talk? Or the millions that play World of Warcraft?!

    And that's a business that trumps comics daily in sales!

    Seriously, you're losing your argument when you act like video games have no cultural relevance. Mario is as popular as Mickey Mouse dude!
    They have relevance to a few million people, not all of whom play the same games. The number of people who've come to recognize the Hulk over the past fifty years would more likely be a few hundred million, same as Superman or Spider-Man, or indeed Mickey Mouse.

  3. #303
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    They have relevance to a few million people, not all of whom play the same games. The number of people who've come to recognize the Hulk over the past fifty years would more likely be a few hundred million, same as Superman or Spider-Man, or indeed Mickey Mouse.
    As with Wolverine, video games are assuredly not a new thing, they first started appearing in the 70s and had become a pop culture staple by the mid 80s. The industry has successful expanded from its original base of tech geeks and now appeals to a extremely broad demographic encompassing nearly everyone, and has proven itself be both sustainable and robust in the face of consumer whim. These are things which the comics industry has repeatedly tried and failed to achieve, despite selling a product that's much cheaper and simpler to produce and having a considerable head start.

    The key element that makes video game characters such pop culture icons is active participation. When you control these characters you can develop a much deeper attachment to their story and experience than you ever could reading a comic. Indeed, video games have always helped the comic book industry spread awareness of its properties. The Marvel vs. Capcom series in particular has been instrumental in promoting the brand, especially since the first couple of installments came during that dead period between the end of the 90s boom and the recent wave of superhero movies where interest in Marvel could not possibly have been more negligible. There's a reason after all why more people are probably aware of Shuma Gorath than they are of Thanos.

  4. #304
    Pure Hellcatnip Lady_Alternate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Over Here
    Posts
    15,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Of course I'm not. I'd already said I wasn't, several times. Believe it or not, several million people, including most middle aged men, aren't video gamers. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? If I started talking about British cult TV from the sixties or some other interest of mine, would you have a clue what I was on about?
    You're vastly underestimating the sheer prevalence of gamers, both casual and enthusiast, and the impact that games have had on popular global culture.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

  5. #305
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Of course I'm not. I'd already said I wasn't, several times. Believe it or not, several million people, including most middle aged men, aren't video gamers. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? If I started talking about British cult TV from the sixties or some other interest of mine, would you have a clue what I was on about?
    So why are you basing your opinion on that age group when things like "The Cake is a Lie" are common phrases?

    How can you argue popularity when you're ignoring the younger crowd?

  6. #306
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    They have relevance to a few million people, not all of whom play the same games. The number of people who've come to recognize the Hulk over the past fifty years would more likely be a few hundred million, same as Superman or Spider-Man, or indeed Mickey Mouse.
    You're literally plugging your ears and shouting "LA LA LA!"

    Video Gamers outnumber comic book readers by SOOOOOOO much! Video Gaming has even beaten television as a medium of entertainment currently! Most people know who Bowser is, they know who the Covenant are, and they know what the Triforce is!

    Just because you don't care about that market does not mean it's not a juggernaut in popularity! Hell, if you made a poll of Master Chief vs. the Hulk, I bet more people will vote for Master Chief!

  7. #307
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    As with Wolverine, video games are assuredly not a new thing, they first started appearing in the 70s and had become a pop culture staple by the mid 80s. The industry has successful expanded from its original base of tech geeks and now appeals to a extremely broad demographic encompassing nearly everyone, and has proven itself be both sustainable and robust in the face of consumer whim. These are things which the comics industry has repeatedly tried and failed to achieve, despite selling a product that's much cheaper and simpler to produce and having a considerable head start.

    The key element that makes video game characters such pop culture icons is active participation. When you control these characters you can develop a much deeper attachment to their story and experience than you ever could reading a comic. Indeed, video games have always helped the comic book industry spread awareness of its properties. The Marvel vs. Capcom series in particular has been instrumental in promoting the brand, especially since the first couple of installments came during that dead period between the end of the 90s boom and the recent wave of superhero movies where interest in Marvel could not possibly have been more negligible. There's a reason after all why more people are probably aware of Shuma Gorath than they are of Thanos.
    Hell, I'd say that game is the reason Marrow is still talked about!

  8. #308
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    You're vastly underestimating the sheer prevalence of gamers, both casual and enthusiast, and the impact that games have had on popular global culture.
    And I think you are overestimating it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    So why are you basing your opinion on that age group when things like "The Cake is a Lie" are common phrases?
    I've never heard that phrase. Ever. Sorry. No idea where it's from or what it means.
    How can you argue popularity when you're ignoring the younger crowd?
    How can you base your assessment of how well known a character is solely on the younger crowd, when they are not the majority of the population?

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    You're literally plugging your ears and shouting "LA LA LA!"

    Video Gamers outnumber comic book readers by SOOOOOOO much! Video Gaming has even beaten television as a medium of entertainment currently! Most people know who Bowser is, they know who the Covenant are, and they know what the Triforce is!
    Maybe most younger people, or possibly (for all I know) most Americans. Not "most people". Whereas the Hulk is recognizable to just about everyone on Earth born within the last sixty years.
    Just because you don't care about that market does not mean it's not a juggernaut in popularity! Hell, if you made a poll of Master Chief vs. the Hulk, I bet more people will vote for Master Chief!
    I have no idea who that is.

  9. #309
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    And I think you are overestimating it.

    I've never heard that phrase. Ever. Sorry. No idea where it's from or what it means.
    How can you base your assessment of how well known a character is solely on the younger crowd, when they are not the majority of the population?

    Maybe most younger people, or possibly (for all I know) most Americans. Not "most people". Whereas the Hulk is recognizable to just about everyone on Earth born within the last sixty years. I have no idea who that is.
    And I'm telling you, Most people could instantly name this character!



    Hell, there are video gamers in your age group too! Samuel Jackson for example! In fact, the game "the cake is a lie" is so popular, that the voice actress of the game is now voicing in Pacific Rim with the same voiced she used in Portal and Portal 2!

    I don't know if it's just you talking to the same people you usually talk to, but saying that the video gaming community means nothing when they eclipse comic book fans several times over is a very ignorant thing to say. EXTREMELY ignorant in fact!

  10. #310
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    And I'm telling you, Most people could instantly name this character!

    I couldn't. I've just showed it to my wife, and she can't, either.

    Hell, there are video gamers in your age group too! Samuel Jackson for example! In fact, the game "the cake is a lie" is so popular, that the voice actress of the game is now voicing in Pacific Rim with the same voiced she used in Portal and Portal 2!
    An actress voicing a game I've never heard of is "so popular" that she has since voiced more games I've never heard of. Wow, truly a megastar!
    I don't know if it's just you talking to the same people you usually talk to, but saying that the video gaming community means nothing when they eclipse comic book fans several times over is a very ignorant thing to say. EXTREMELY ignorant in fact!
    But only ignorant of the video gaming community, which is still a tiny percentage of the world's population (which is what I've actually been talking about, not comic book fans. You are capable of differentiating, right? Or are we having two different conversations, here?).

  11. #311
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I couldn't. I've just showed it to my wife, and she can't, either. An actress voicing a game I've never heard of is "so popular" that she has since voiced more games I've never heard of. Wow, truly a megastar!But only ignorant of the video gaming community, which is still a tiny percentage of the world's population (which is what I've actually been talking about, not comic book fans. You are capable of differentiating, right?).
    PACIFIC RIM IS A MOVIE YOU IDIOT!!! It's coming out soon!

    And video gaming still beats out the comic book crowd by a massive amount! HAVE YOU SEEN HOW PACKED E3 gets every year?! Are you aware video games have it's own award show?! Have you avoided the hundreds and hundreds of web parodies that pop up weekly about Video Games?!

    How are you so dismissive about a whole entire medium when people would rather wipe their ass with $3 instead of buying a comic these days?!

  12. #312
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Hell, you know Greg Rucka's Punisher Run?



    Metal Gear Solid's protagonist!


  13. #313
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    PACIFIC RIM IS A MOVIE YOU IDIOT!!! It's coming out soon!
    Ah, well.

    And video gaming still beats out the comic book crowd by a massive amount!
    So the fact that I wasn't talking about "the comic book crowd" did indeed go completely over your head, then? We are indeed having two different conversations. I'm talking about recognition by the general public. Y'know, out in the real world.
    HAVE YOU SEEN HOW PACKED E3 gets every year?!
    No, of course I haven't. I don't even know what "E3" is. You're really struggling with this fairly basic concept, aren't you? The idea that things you personally are into are totally unknown to many other people is really beyond your comprehension, it seems.
    Are you aware video games have it's own award show?!
    No, I was not aware of that, and indeed still haven't a clue about it. See previous reply.
    Have you avoided the hundreds and hundreds of web parodies that pop up weekly about Video Games?!
    I guess I must have. So it seems they're not that hard to avoid, depending on which sites you tend to visit.

    How are you so dismissive about a whole entire medium when people would rather wipe their ass with $3 instead of buying a comic these days?!
    Because I have no interest in it, and neither does anyone I talk to regularly?

  14. #314
    Pure Hellcatnip Lady_Alternate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Over Here
    Posts
    15,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    And I think you are overestimating it.
    I'm really not. Games have a huge cultural impact, and as mentioned above, Mario (for instance) has achieved universal recognition around the globe on a level approaching that of Mickey Mouse.

    Games are referenced in TV, film, books and news media. They make headlines, and not just for controversy. Its not it just enthusiasts either; casual gamers are everywhere, across every age, gender and income demographic.

    Its not an American thing, either. I'm British, thirtysomething, female. Games make up a large part of my media consumption, and I'm far from alone in that regard. Scandinavians, Germans, Danes and Dutch will all tell you a similar story. Head east. China, Japan. Huge consumers of games and gaming culture. Korea. In Korea, gaming is at the point of being a national sport, and it pervades right throughout the culture.

    Trying to play down or paint the global influence of games as being niche or fringe at best is either intense denial or just ignorance.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

  15. #315
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Ah, well. So the fact that I wasn't talking about "the comic book crowd" did indeed go completely over your head, then? We are indeed having two different conversations. I'm talking about recognition by the general public. Y'know, out in the real world. No, of course I haven't. I don't even know what "E3" is. You're really struggling with this fairly basic concept, aren't you? The idea that things you personally are into are totally unknown to many other people is really beyond your comprehension, it seems. No, I was not aware of that, and indeed still haven't a clue about it. See previous reply. I guess I must have. So it seems they're not that hard to avoid, depending on which sites you tend to visit. Because I have no interest in it, and neither does anyone I talk to regularly?

    The SAME Real world where Wreck it Ralph was a hit and is getting a sequel? The same movie that had lots of video game cameos?

    And people are into video gaming! Hell, there's a lot of pop culture jokes about video gaming in TV shows that are on these days! Just on 30 Rock I heard "I'm the rotting Squirrtle in her Pokedex!"

    But the simple fact is, just because you don't know about Video Game culture does not mean it's a small thing! Just because you boost about how popular the hulk was prior to Wolverine and video games existence does not mean that the hulk is as popular now! Sure, maybe the Avengers movie helped, but that still doesn't help the fact that the call of duty games can outsell the ticket sales to Hulk's own movie!

    Stop pretending that because you knew about it when you're young means that it's still popular now!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •