Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    BANNED

I do find it odd that Wolverine of all people is being used as the subject of an anti-American tirade. Though an American creation, he really only achieved the level of popularity he did because of a Canadian artist who wanted his fellow countryman to be the star of the franchise, while the writer preferred to spotlight the female characters instead. Had things gone differently, maybe Storm or Jean would have found a spot in the Big 7 while Wolverine would be the one who was unceremoniously killed off, as the fans of the time were demanding.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Are you really going "Stupid Americans"?

Wolverine is popular. You can play up the Hulk all you want, but Wolverine has surpassed his popularity!
    Not outside America.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    I do find it odd that Wolverine of all people is being used as the subject of an anti-American tirade. Though an American creation, he really only achieved the level of popularity he did because of a Canadian artist who wanted his fellow countryman to be the star of the franchise, while the writer preferred to spotlight the female characters instead. Had things gone differently, maybe Storm or Jean would have found a spot in the Big 7 while Wolverine would be the one who was unceremoniously killed off, as the fans of the time were demanding.
    John Byrne was actually born British.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Not outside America.
    Then how did he get an anime in japan?

Wolverine is more popular, right now, than Hulk. My two older sisters (who did grow up with a comic collecting brother) have always been huge X-fans because of the cartoons and especially the films. Their first thought about the X-films was "who's going to play Wolverine?" without having read a comic for years. My father's generation (grew up in the sixties) know Spider-Man, Hulk and (to a considerably lesser extent) Thor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Wolverine is more popular, right now, than Hulk. My two older sisters (who did grow up with a comic collecting brother) have always been huge X-fans because of the cartoons and especially the films. Their first thought about the X-films was "who's going to play Wolverine?" without having read a comic for years. My father's generation (grew up in the sixties) know Spider-Man, Hulk and (to a considerably lesser extent) Thor.
    Exactly. Hulk is still popular, but Wolverine has surpassed him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Exactly. Hulk is still popular, but Wolverine has surpassed him.
    With who? Younger fans only, I suspect. A relatively small segment of the overall population.

"Today's audience" also includes the older generation. We're still here, y'know.
    No one implied otherwise. There is still more fan of Wolverine.

I have never heard of Marvel vs. Capcom. Not everyone plays video games. But everyone on the planet (I keep stressing this because you don't seem able to look beyond your own personal perspective) has heard of the Hulk. Most people over 30, I suspect, remember the 70s TV series, which was sold worldwide. And most of this planet's population is over 30.
    You can't use this arguement just because someone has a different opinion than you. We could say the exact same thing to you.
    My Canon > Your Canon

BANNED

With who? Younger fans only, I suspect. A relatively small segment of the overall population.
    Or how about the fact he's appearing in 6 ongoings and two solos?

I find it funny how you assume the people directly around you = the world.

It's not like Hulk has faded into the background. In terms of popularity, it's Spider-Man, Wolverine, and The Hulk around the world. Although I think Iron Man is approaching that status thanks to Downey Jr.'s work. Wolverine's overall exposure dwarf Hulk's as of right now in terms of comic books but not by some huge margin. Those over 35-40 years old think of Hulk first and those younger think of Wolverine. It's almost splitting hairs.

I think more people know of Hulk but more people are fans of Wolverine.

That's where the splitting hairs comes in. Is it just about recognition, or about fan support?
    Captain Universe is not Monica Rambeau. Monica Rambeau is not in Avengers.

Interesting question. I would lean toward fan support is stronger for Wolverine at the moment. He makes appearances all over the place and titles featuring him as the main character sell very well generally. Look at how strongly he is portrayed in stories featuring characters and events far more powerful or grand than he. Same with Spider-Man. Not a critique just an observation.

I have never heard of Marvel vs. Capcom. Not everyone plays video games. But everyone on the planet (I keep stressing this because you don't seem able to look beyond your own personal perspective) has heard of the Hulk. Most people over 30, I suspect, remember the 70s TV series, which was sold worldwide. And most of this planet's population is over 30.
    Come on dude, Marvel vs Capcom has done extremely well in your own country and has garnered quit a few esports players from the UK. With that said it's also a good barometer to use to see what characters Marvel thinks are the most important. It's not just an American perception, it is about what Marvel is trying to push. Right now, Wolverine and Spidey are the two most prominent characters they are pushing today (as shown in MvC3 advertising). Wolverine is bigger then Hulk, not just with Americans, but with Marvel as well.
    Last edited by Voss; 12-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Robot View Post

That's where the splitting hairs comes in. Is it just about recognition, or about fan support?
    Neither really, it's more about investment than anything else. Like him or hate him, everyone has an opinion on Wolverine one way or the other. Nobody really cares much about what Hulk does, he pretty much just exists for its own sake these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Robot View Post

I would suggest that more people over 35-40 are Hulk fans rather than Wolverine fans because we grew up with the character and still on some level see Wolverine as a 'new' character. I know I do. For me, he'll never be as (God, I hate this word) iconic as Spidey or the Hulk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Come on dude, Marvel vs Capcom has done extremely well in your own country and has garnered quit a few esports players from the UK.
    I have no idea what "esports" is. Fairly sure I've never heard the word before today. But then, I'd never heard the word "Capcom" before today either, and still don't know what it is. It's just not n my radar, whatever it is. But I grew up with the Hulk, in comics and on TV.