Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "Thor" Hammers the Box Office

"Thor," from Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures, opened to a healthy first weekend gross of $66 million. Its success signals the superhero film factory can launch successful franchises from lesser known characters.

Full article here.

i think the opening was good, but not great. 3D prices helped a lot. When you look at the attendance, then this movie ranks even behind Fantastic Four.
    Likes: Astro City, Batman, JL Dark, American Vampire, Fables, Fairest, iZombie, Sandman, Chew, Empowered, Lady Mechanika, Locke & Key, Moriarty, Mudman, Reed Gunther, Skullkickers ...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Its success signals the superhero film factory can launch successful franchises from lesser known characters.
    I don't see how a big name character succeeding could help launch lesser known characters.
    Hobos frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    I don't see how a big name character succeeding could help launch lesser known characters.
    I don't think they consider Thor a big name character like Batman or Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by GRANT! View Post
    I don't think they consider Thor a big name character like Batman or Spider-man.
    Almost everyone has heard the name Thor, just like Batman and Spider-man. Even if you have never read comics you probably know who he is.
    Hobos frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.

Elder Member

Profitable investment spurs more investment. It's a basic business principle. The more money Marvel's movies make the more likely they are to make more movies. It's not not necessarily an issue of big vs. little or well-known vs. lesser-known.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned McDodd View Post
    i think the opening was good, but not great. 3D prices helped a lot. When you look at the attendance, then this movie ranks even behind Fantastic Four.
    as for opening it the 4th best non sequal opening in the month of May. and has made damn near 250 million world wide.
    Cyclops ad portas

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ned McDodd View Post
    Doesn't matter. All that matters is cash. Does the fact that ticket prices in general have risen or that so many theaters are showing it in 3D and charging more factor into the profit margin? Sure. But I doubt the accountants at Marvel care. Money is money.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    "Thor," from Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures, opened to a healthy first weekend gross of $66 million. Its success signals the superhero film factory can launch successful franchises from lesser known characters.

Full article here.
    ...like Blade and Iron Man?
    Slayven ftw.

"Looksky! Birdplane!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    ...like Blade and Iron Man?
    Yeah I love how the press calls Marvel's Big Three as lesser known.
    Cyclops ad portas

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Yeah I love how the press calls Marvel's Big Three as lesser known.
    They are in comparison to Batman, Spider-man, Superman and even the Hulk.

What the...?

Almost everyone has heard the name Thor, just like Batman and Spider-man. Even if you have never read comics you probably know who he is.
    Not really. More then a few people I know Associate the character with Adventures in Babysitting. He's just not as well known (at least until recently) with the mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    ...like Blade?
    Blade was so unknown most people I knew (including me wasn't reading comics then only 8ish) didn't even know it was a comic movie.

Iron Man had similar recognizability (actual Thor had more since people knew the myths) but also wasn't as tough a sell with only super science really a potential reach for audience members. The elements of Thor were much more likely to be a catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by GRANT! View Post
    They are in comparison to Batman, Spider-man, Superman and even the Hulk.
    Yeah, despite all the Avengers hype, Marvel's *real* Big Three is Spider-Man, Hulk, and then I guess Wolverine.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

BANNED

Thor is certainly not a big name character.

66 million is decent. It could have been better if there wasn't so many 3D exclusive showings. I think that's what kept a lot of people away. A lot of people don't like 3D, and having more 3D screens than 2D screens is perhaps the dumbest move ever.