Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default sandman./lucifer

reading reviews and some threads on here too im keen to get into both titles.
    do i start with Sandman then when finished there go onto Lucifer or are they unrelated?
    so Sandman vol 1 would be the start or is there some other book that is a better place to start ?

Sandman #4 introduces Lucifer and the Sandman collection Season of Mists explains why Lucifer is not in hell, setting up his own series.

DCU Bookshelf Junkie sendingsignal's Avatar

You can read Lucifer on its own, or either in any order without too much trouble, but they are related and Lucifer is often thought of as a kind of sequel.

For a kind of timeline of all the vertigo dcu based titles, check out this:

http://www.tradereadingorder.com/lis...tigo-universe/
    Trade Reading Order
    Always a work in progress and always accepting advice!

Read Sandman first.

DCU Bookshelf Junkie sendingsignal's Avatar

actually, read swamp thing first. Or in between the two (i did that the first time and it was awesome.)

I didn't realize that so many of the sandman characters are introduced in swamp thing.
    Trade Reading Order
    Always a work in progress and always accepting advice!

Don't read Sandman, read Scalped.

Quote Originally Posted by V0nnegut View Post
    Don't read Sandman, read Scalped.
    It's not an either/or thing. No reason you can't read both.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Yeah, if you want to just sit down and read 150 issues (or whatever) of great literature, plunk down with the beginning of Sandman and follow it up with Lucifer. Like others have said, you 'can' just read Lucifer, and you'd probably enjoy the hell of it (ha...), but Sandman is great and really enhances the story. Season of Mist explores Lucifer's exodus out of Hell, and a later volume (the name escapes me?) establishes Lucifer in Lux, where the first volume of Lucifer picks up.

To echo a sentiment I read recently in the Planetary thread on this board, you're a lucky soul to be discovering this stuff for the first time. It's a treat.

i feel lucky in general with comics being new to it, have every title to explore.
    reading reviews on Sandman it seems to be one title where its 100% positive.
    Look forward to it, in fact might go and buy vol 1 today.
    what is involved in the swamp thing issues, as in is it storylines that are needed for sandman and lucifer..or just where the characters first appeared?

smoke weed

reading swamp thing first is great because neil plucks so many little things from it and adds them to the sandman story. lucifer could be read alone but is a sequel of sorts. all well reccomended

what swamp thing tpb do should i read tho? which arcs are the most important, i cant really afford to buy all of swamp thing all of sandman and all of lucifer right now,well i could but if i did i would be in the dog house for a LONG time

Quote Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    what swamp thing tpb do should i read tho? which arcs are the most important, i cant really afford to buy all of swamp thing all of sandman and all of lucifer right now,well i could but if i did i would be in the dog house for a LONG time
    You really should read them all. But I see absolutely no reason why you would buy all of it right now. By the first book, and then buy the next on when you've finished it...

Also, why would you put expensive quality books on the toilet? People really do that?
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    I would go for the six books completing Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing before anything else really. It's one of the best works ever released in comics, and sets up your reading of Hellblazer, which you're pretty much bound to do sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by V0nnegut View Post
    I would go for the six books completing Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing before anything else really. It's one of the best works ever released in comics, and sets up your reading of Hellblazer, which you're pretty much bound to do sooner rather than later.
    I'd include Rick Veitch's three volumes with that. Rick really fleshed out the character of Constantine, and there's even a crossover between the two books. (I think those ST issues are reprinted in the new volume of Original Sins, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by sendingsignal View Post
    I didn't realize that so many of the sandman characters are introduced in swamp thing.
    They were? I can't think of any - though Swamp Thing did introduce John Constantine who is a predecessor of Lady Joanna Constantine.

Beyond that I can't think of any characters who appeared in both but didn't already exist before Swamp Thing.