Page 310 of 340 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 5087

That's good luck on your behalf then. I wasn't as lucky having been through most of the horror stories people hear about (or sadly go through themselves). Everything from sellers who promised to send the comics and never did (taking my money in the process along with other unfortunates), to people professing to be professional sellers (sometimes even ebay stores) and mailing the comics out in a mangled fashion. It's why I do not buy much from the internet these days. Too many lazy sellers who don't know about grading nearly as much as their feedback would attest to and too many people who do not know how to pack things properly. As I tell friends, who have been through bad experiences themselves, and seeing what horrors mail does go through at a mailing office, people need to think about the general wear and tear the parcels go through behind the scenes (where they get tossed around, have other heavy items dropped on them, etc). Also buying in person is just a more fun interesting experience. I get to see what I am maybe buying in person and seeing it from all angles. Picking it up and holding it and then deciding whether its worth parting with my money for? Sure beats the online buying experience for me.

I agree that buying it is a better experience. But buying on ebay comes out cheaper for most items. early this year I picked up an Avengers #2 for 80 dollars. It was in good condition. Buying that in a con would have been more expensive. Whenever I send out books they go in plastic and heavy cardboard on both sides . That's enough to prevent it from being crushed.
    Life is what you make it.

Online definitely has its uses. I think more than anything I liked the buying online experience a few years ago when it was more reliable. At the bookstores I go to at the moment, its pretty good to as they have several comic collections from different people. One of them is a huge Phantom collector so they have several boxes of Phantom comics which I will definitely check out next time I go whereas another person brought in a stack of large size comic magazines. There were like 100 of those, some dating back to the 1970s so I will try and check out those too next time I visit (which is probably early to mid Dec? I'm not sure? I'd like to get two visits in before Xmas but I'm not sure that's going to be possible so if I can only visit the store one more time before then I'd like to time it closer to Xmas and I can express my gratitude to them and wish them Merry Xmas and thank the staff for all their kindness to me throughout the year)

I remember going through the boxes of Archie comics. And seeing all the different names, Betty, Jughead, Veronica, etc. And I thought its like having an A-Z of his favorite pals! There were a lot of older Archie's too but those I don't find as interesting, neither do the kids at the charity stores for some reason either (though the adults like the older ones, maybe because they read them as a child?). Anyways, I bought a few of the more modern Archies. Beautiful condition too.

Found the Slings and Arrow Comic Guide at a local bookshop, 'cause I heard good things about it here. It's huge! - and damned comprehensive in it's coverage of obscure post-1960 Marvel and DC stuff, but smaller companies and undergrounds. It doesn't do much for British stuff (Which is weird, 'cause the authors seem to all be British), kids comics especially Harvey*, and mini-comics, even (relatively) superfamous ones like King Cat. Since it was published in 2003 before the graphic novel and Manga boom, it focuses mostly on individual comics. This means that some incredibly important books are given the sort shrift - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN gets one entry, the three issue BEAST mini-series gets one entry - and even though the former is a longer entry, the latter is covered in much more issue-by issue depth.

* Although I kind of pity the guy who'd have to read 100 straight issues of Richie Rich's Diamonds.

Still it's always readable and the smart but not overly academic. I've definitely enjoyed the time I spent with it, except for the (surprisingly positive) review of the TOTAL ECLIPSE crossover where the reviewer calls TALES OF THE BEANWORLD "nonsense" - But you can't really dislike people like that as much as pity them for their delusions.
    Last edited by Reptisaurus!; 11-20-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    I, of course, can't see a thing.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Found the Slings and Arrow Comic Guide at a local bookshop, 'cause I heard good things about it here. It's huge! - and damned comprehensive in it's coverage of obscure post-1960 Marvel and DC stuff, but smaller companies and undergrounds. It doesn't do much for British stuff (Which is weird, 'cause the authors seem to all be British), kids comics especially Harvey*, and mini-comics, even (relatively) superfamous ones like King Cat. Since it was published in 2003 before the graphic novel and Manga boom, it focuses mostly on individual comics. This means that some incredibly important books are given the sort shrift - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN gets one entry, the three issue BEAST mini-series gets one entry - and even though the former is a longer entry, the latter is covered in much more issue-by issue depth.

* Although I kind of pity the guy who'd have to read 100 straight issues of Richie Rich's Diamonds.

Still it's always readable and the smart but not overly academic. I've definitely enjoyed the time I spent with it, except for the (surprisingly positive) review of the TOTAL ECLIPSE crossover where the reviewer calls TALES OF THE BEANWORLD "nonsense" - But you can't really dislike people like that as much as pity them for their delusions.
    I've had that guide for sometime now, and it has definitely been a great read.

I've also used their recommendations of best issues when sampling new series, and found that to be quite fruitful.

My latest purchases:

Amazing Spider-man #3 - 1st Dr Ock!
    Amazing Spider-man #20 - 1st Scorpion
    Amazing Spider-man #118
    Amazing Spider-man Annuals #4, 13, 18
    Down to 16 issues to complete run to #545

Vertigo Resurrected - Sgt Rock - Between Hell & a Hard Place, Hellblazer, The Eaters, Johnny Double, The Finals, The Extremist, Shoot

Conan the Barbarian #'s 245, 248, 249, 251, 253, 254, 256, 262, 263, 268, 270

Savage Sword of Conan #'s 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

A nice big stack of reading there! :)

Also, forgot to add Larry Gonicks Cartoon History of the Universe Vol. 1, which gives me 3 of the volumes. Love these!!

Gonick's stuff is amazing. I have the first 3 volumes of the history of the universe, one of US history and one guide to statistics I believe. How many volumes is the Cartoon History of the Universe up to now?

Nice haul by the way.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	104659
    Some pre-turkey day pick-ups

Quote Originally Posted by DCIndexer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	104659
    Some pre-turkey day pick-ups
    Beautiful! Dumb question: Do you own every comic photographed in your database?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2739 View Post
    Beautiful! Dumb question: Do you own every comic photographed in your database?
    No. But my goal is to own every DC. I currently own every DC book published between 1961-2010 and about 50% of those published before 1961. Overall I own more than 90% of the DC books ever published.

The books pictured here are ones that I have been buying to fill holes in my pre-1960s collection. Obviously I am missing the high dollar books like Action #1, Detective #27, etc. and will have a hard time affording those if I ever get to that point. The list of issues I still need is here: http://www.dcindexes.com/needed.php?site=dc