Page 3 of 340 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

just got home from visiting a local secondhand bookstore. didnt spend much, gonna use these as readers before passing em on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian VI View Post
    That DC Special Plastic Man reprint is just a great collection.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Regarding Adventure 425.

As I've said before, when it comes to condition, I'm not really a stickler; I usually prefer VG because they look nice and have solid construction while still being cheap. But there are certain comics that I want in my collection primarily for the cover and in those instances, since I am mostly interested in looking at them rather than reading them, I want a high grade copy. Because of this, on my checklist I had Adventure 425 listed with the note "high grade only."

What's interesting is that you can find a number of high grade copies on eBay at relatively reasonable prices since it's not really a high demand comic. However, I've discovered that finding a copy that is actually cut correctly is just about impossible.

Adventure 425 happened to come out during the two months or so where they were just using a straight double bullet design, with the DC in the left circle and the 20 cents in the right circle, without any bells, whistles or mounds of unnecessary text. And looking through dozens of higher grade copies of this comic, almost none of them seem to be properly cut in such a way that both circles are a) intact or b) centered. They pretty much all have portions of the circles chopped off, either along the top or down the left side of the comic and the few that have intact circles seem to be off centered so there's, like, an extra half-inch of red on the right margin or something.

I think I've only seen one higher grade copy that had both circles complete and I bought it immediately. But it made me wonder just how difficult it would be to put together a high grade collection of that DC era that actually has eye appeal as well.
    Mine has the tops of the circles cut off just through the black outline. The left hand side "DC" circle is also missing about half of its black outline at the spine. I'll have to look through my other late '72 and early '73 issues for this. Interesting!

Having had a chance now to read through the issue, I have to say this is a great book. I would also say it is rather un-DC like to my mind. As I have probably mentioned in earlier threads, when I really got into collecting comics back in late seventies i was primarily a Marvel guy. When I really started getting into back issues in the mid-eighties, DC stuff from this era was still lower on the list for the most part. So, I am certainly no expert, but this book feels different.

The Alex Toth art in the first story has a very dark gritty feel that I generally don't associate with DC, even DC horror stuff. The Nino story has Gold Key written all over it. Overall, I'm not sure what it feels like, but I like it!

In looking at the GCD I've noticed that this format change for the book didn't last too long. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with just how different this book feels?

Just had to post, for reference:

- pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Here's the copy I recently bought (since this is a thread about recently buying comics). The photo is a little fisheye for some reason, but you can see here what I'm talking about in regards to the cut of the double bullet design; compare this copy (which I haven't actually received yet; the seller listed it as a strict 8.0) to the scan pmpknface posted above.

I paid $19.90 for this well-cut 8.0:

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Here's the copy I recently bought (since this is a thread about recently buying comics). The photo is a little fisheye for some reason, but you can see here what I'm talking about in regards to the cut of the double bullet design; compare this copy (which I haven't actually received yet; the seller listed it as a strict 8.0) to the scan pmpknface posted above.

$19.90! wow. lot of money. but long as you are happy with it, thats what matters. looks nice how its cut. hope it meets expectations when you get it.

Man... if you think $20 is a lot you'd cringe at what I pay for some golden age stuff! I was just checking and that is a decent price for that book at that grade. Nice buy Scott! Did you get to go to the Boston con?
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Man... if you think $20 is a lot you'd cringe at what I pay for some golden age stuff! I was just checking and that is a decent price for that book at that grade. Nice buy Scott! Did you get to go to the Boston con?
    speaking of boston con - anyone take any pix?

Unfortunately, no, I just had too many obligations last weekend. It probably saved me a lot of money, but I really, really wanted to get some stuff signed by Joe Kubert and to a lesser extent Neal Adams.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Unfortunately, no, I just had too many obligations last weekend. It probably saved me a lot of money, but I really, really wanted to get some stuff signed by Joe Kubert and to a lesser extent Neal Adams.
    Sorry you couldn't make it. Joe was a great guy, and I had him sign my Sgt. Rock HC. Neal was CHARGING FOR SIGNATURES AT $10 A POP!!! Plus, he was charging to TAKE A PIC WITH HIM and for mini head sketches too!!! For that reason I passed.

If you google you'll find a TON of pics. Here's a site that had a bunch:

http://megatrip.blogspot.com/2011/05...2011-pics.html

Wonder Woman is a friend of mine that works at my LCS, Comicopia. I found a flickr acct yesterday that had more pics too.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Thats an awesome cover man. I think I have a few like that from what my mind remembers. Old Superman with the DC and the 20 cents deal on each side. I'll have to go back and look man.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Sorry you couldn't make it. Joe was a great guy, and I had him sign my Sgt. Rock HC. Neal was CHARGING FOR SIGNATURES AT $10 A POP!!! Plus, he was charging to TAKE A PIC WITH HIM and for mini head sketches too!!! For that reason I passed.

Wonder Woman is a friend of mine that works at my LCS, Comicopia. I found a flickr acct yesterday that had more pics too.
    thanks for the links for the pictures! much appreciated pmpknface

At the Baltimore Con in 2009 , me and my friends went and Neal Adams there too was charging. I had forgot he was gonna be there and forgot to bring books to get signed. But my friends had 2 books to get signed and they had to pay him $20-$25 bucks in that range.

So I had my camera and I was like..."Lets take a pic with Neal Adams guys." So the girl goes..."That will be $20 dollars to snap a pic with him."

I didn't hear her over the crowd and they were like Nooooo man. Nooo...and later away they told me. My one friend joked , "Who does Neal Adams think he is now ? Elvis ? 20 bucks to snap a pic with him ? Get real man.."
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Oh I just wanna say , as much a ego Neal Adams has , George Perez is a kind man. He was raising money for HERO FUND and I had 3 books to get signed as did my friend. We chatted with him awhile and he walked around and was happy to snap pics with us.

"You should have brought more books to get signed." he told us. Then he had a simple request...whatever we could spare...put it in the jar for Hero Fund. We both put 5-10 bucks apiece in for him. Because he actually made us feel like he was happy to be there and liked interacting with fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    At the Baltimore Con in 2009 , me and my friends went and Neal Adams there too was charging. I had forgot he was gonna be there and forgot to bring books to get signed. But my friends had 2 books to get signed and they had to pay him $20-$25 bucks in that range.

So I had my camera and I was like..."Lets take a pic with Neal Adams guys." So the girl goes..."That will be $20 dollars to snap a pic with him."

I didn't hear her over the crowd and they were like Nooooo man. Nooo...and later away they told me. My one friend joked , "Who does Neal Adams think he is now ? Elvis ? 20 bucks to snap a pic with him ? Get real man.."
    Yeah, I'm sorry but charging for an autograph is just too much. One of the better ideas I have seen though is one from Greg Horn: he said he's sign whatever as long as I put some $$$ in a jar that he was going to donate to ACTOR or whatever it's called now. So I threw in $5. It's all good!

Hell - Geoff Darrow drew a sketch for me and did that very same thing! So I paid $10 for a neato sketch! Which, btw, was amazing to see him do as 1/2 the time he wasn't even looking at what he was doing!

Another guy that annoyed me was Arthur Sundyam. At SDCC (a looong way from Boston) I brought 1 book for him to sign and he wanted me to buy something from his table before signing (and waiting at least 20 min before finding that out too). Fair enough, but the cheapest thing was $20! Ini the end he did sign it anyhow, because I had been waiting, but still... not cool.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!