Page 2 of 340 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatejezebel View Post
    Got 4 of these in great shape for $15...have about 25 of the 'Archie' versions to unpack.

v. nice jez!

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatejezebel View Post
    Got 4 of these in great shape for $15...have about 25 of the 'Archie' versions to unpack.

Nice! I'm hoping these get collected sometime.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Got these yesterday. May the fourth be with you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001.jpg  

Cheapo bin diving at my nearby local LCS down the street...

Action: 454, 455, 460, 464, 467, 474.

Adventure: 425, 443, 446, 449, 456.

Black Magic: 4

E-Man: 9, 10.

Eternals Annual: 1

Adventure 446 is now officially my favorite "DC Comics Salutes The Bicentennial" cover. i've never read the Eternals before, but the Kirby cover drew me in. the Kaluta cover on Adventure 425 is superb!

Quote Originally Posted by Judomaster View Post
    the Kaluta cover on Adventure 425 is superb!
    You ain't whistlin' Dixie.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Just googled that cover - sweet! Loved the Eternals. You may wanna look into the HC collection...
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Regarding Adventure 425.

As I've said before, when it comes to condition, I'm not really a stickler; I usually prefer VG because they look nice and have solid construction while still being cheap. But there are certain comics that I want in my collection primarily for the cover and in those instances, since I am mostly interested in looking at them rather than reading them, I want a high grade copy. Because of this, on my checklist I had Adventure 425 listed with the note "high grade only."

What's interesting is that you can find a number of high grade copies on eBay at relatively reasonable prices since it's not really a high demand comic. However, I've discovered that finding a copy that is actually cut correctly is just about impossible.

Adventure 425 happened to come out during the two months or so where they were just using a straight double bullet design, with the DC in the left circle and the 20 cents in the right circle, without any bells, whistles or mounds of unnecessary text. And looking through dozens of higher grade copies of this comic, almost none of them seem to be properly cut in such a way that both circles are a) intact or b) centered. They pretty much all have portions of the circles chopped off, either along the top or down the left side of the comic and the few that have intact circles seem to be off centered so there's, like, an extra half-inch of red on the right margin or something.

I think I've only seen one higher grade copy that had both circles complete and I bought it immediately. But it made me wonder just how difficult it would be to put together a high grade collection of that DC era that actually has eye appeal as well.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Been a few weeks since I've visited, but have received lots of comics in the meantime! Wow a new thread, and lots and lots of amazing comics to drool over. You guys have some great pickups!

Marvel lot: My favorites here are the Marvel Super-Heroes Doctor Doom which includes a cool Doom story entitled "This Man, This Demon!", and a must-have for any Dark Phoenix fans is the Phoenix untold story issue, which features never before seen artwork and plot scripts. And I believe this issue of Ms. Marvel is the first app. of that costume? Lastly, the Astonishing Tales/Kazar #13 is the 1st app. of Man-Thing in COLOR. Kinda cool!

DC lot: Still really into Adventure comics, and was lucky to get a very nice copy of #410. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the Detective Comics #447 is the first time Batman meets the Creeper? Also loving the two JLA's featuring the second battle against Starro (he appeared previously in a dual w/Aquaman, but not the whole team).

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

That Marvel Super-Heroes #20 reminds me of the run of #s 14-20 that an eBay seller I've been frequently lately for recent releases had on Buy It Now for $1.55 each a week ago. By the time I could hit the purchase link, they were all already bought, in a matter of seconds. *sigh* I mean, I've already got all those, but most of mine probably aren't in nearly as good a shape as those were.

Oh, well. At least I was able to buy a bunch of the annual-sized early Mighty Marvel Westerns (all of which I also own, having bought the 7 or 8 I didn't already have from Mile High just a few weeks ago ... same caveat applies to condition, of course) & some Marvel Collectors Item Classics in the teens from the same listing for the same price.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pakehafulla View Post
    So Jez, is there a particular type for you...you know in a collecting kinda way. Hero, romance, funny animal, humour? Is it mainly the older, or just some chaotic system that makes sense only to you? (not a bad thing...bless us all for our own random collecting urges)

Sorry if it seems like it but I aint taking the piss, just curious. You like some of the girlie stuff (oops my sexism slipped a bit there) but also seem to get into a lot of ummm... normal books too.
    I guess I'm a walker between different worlds. The books you describe as normal might be common in a lot of collections, but I think almost everyone has a collection or few copies of something else that's often in the minority, for whatever reason. I do like 'girlie' stuff - but not all 'girlie' stuff - and surprise surprise, some of the guys here wallow in their copies of romance comics too.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

And as I've noted before, I dote on Harvey's old Bunny series (have an eBay lot of 3 coming even as I type, starting with #4), which makes jez's Millies & Archies look like Garth Ennis' most violent fantasies.

(For that matter, I quite liked Archie & Millie as a kid, though the ones pictured above predate my exposure to the latter character, who was in full Archie-esque mode by then.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

nice comics brian!

Great stuff Brian! That Ms Marvel cover was Cockrum's favorite and the only one he kept. He told me that when I met him ages ago.

I love that Doom book! An underrated issue. That giant sized book is (I think) the 1st gt sz book marvel made. Love the milgrom cvr on the MTU book!

You did well!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    I love that Doom book! An underrated issue.
    A personal favorite of mine from kidhood, too.

When I obtained a copy maybe 4 years ago, I was struck by how many panels had stuck with me over the intervening nearly 4 decades. To me, that's one unmistakable mark of a good comic.

-- Reptisaurus!

I liked it so much, somehow I ended up with 2 copies! :\
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!