Page 329 of 340 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,935 of 5087

If you're new to the store or haven't been there much before I would recommend just asking the staff for help. That's what I do when I go to stores. Especially if the range is somewhat overwhelming, I might have a quick look around and then go up to the counter, tell them I am looking to purchase some comic books, and would appreciate if they could help me? Most staff are pretty obliging.

Speaking of bookstores, I'm in withdrawal at the moment because I won't be going to the stores again until next month. Part of me doesn't mind because that means it will be a new year and hopefully lots of goodies to be found but another part of me misses the stores because I so enjoy going to them.

I love stores too, and thanks for the help.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Local bookstore has some old Weird Tales magazines ranging from $5-10. They look okay, not amazing shape but complete. Worthwhile to pick up a few?

pinkfloydsound17 - if the magazines grab your interest, i would get maybe a couple of the lower end magazines from the store. also ask the staff if they are planning on discounting them? maybe they arent planning to do so but certainly doesnt hurt to ask.

Have you ever seen a #1 of a huge character on sale? I was just thinking if I was a comic store owner I'd have to put it away.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I see plenty of number ones at stores but if you are referring to like the golden age period then no, I dont see those kinds of number ones. But I have seen a few number ones from the silver age period. I remember at one store they had the first issue of the Justice League of America and I had a friend with me who knew not much about comics and his legs almost collapsed from underneath him when he saw the price!

Yeah they can be pricey.

Holy amuck you really know how to pick good stuff!

I'm not sure about that but I do know what I like and don't like. Usually if I'm in a room full of comics, I can pretty much gauge what I want and don't want in not much time at all. Like last year I went to a big comic sale with a friend and I was taken aback when I went into the room because it was overwhelming with tons of comics and lots of people around (including comic store owners which were going through things and trying to snap up as much stock asap - no doubt to resell through their sites at hugely inflated prices!) And my friend cringed because he thought it would take ages to look through everything but I was pretty much done within a matter of minutes, sort of going super-fast though all the comics one after another. He said to me at the time 'how can you look at things so quickly?' and I replied it came with experience. Most comic collectors would be able to share similar stories.

I know my plan:
    Walk in store, possibly chat to owner, look at the merchandise, go the new comics and take some which interest me, head to back issues and just scroll through! I'm obsessed now xD

That's a good plan. As I always say, the staff are there for a reason! So why not ask them questions, use their expertise to help guide you... that's what I do. And its a win-win situation because they get to know you and your tastes in comics and then can help you make your purchases. Plus I find once they really get to know you they often have stuff that many people wont get to see, like stuff out in a backroom or boxes that havent been catalogued yet.

It reminds me when I was a child. I used to go to used bookstores and they had thousands of comics. Often the owner would be sitting behind the desk puffing on his pipe or reading some large book and he would apologize that there was no chair for me to sit on but I was happy to sit on the floor and just organize neat little stacks of comics that I wanted to buy. He would usually give me a discount too from the pocket money I used to pay for the items (usually house work or raking leaves in the backyard, chores like that to help me buy comics). He was a very nice man. Eventually that store disappeared like thousands of others. It was bulldozed and replaced with a supermarket.