Page 325 of 340 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 5087

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	105738
    Here's that Lois Lane issue. Now have #1-137 complete.
    Also got Challengers #2. Only 1 more issue left (#3) to complete that series.

Congrats on the Lois Lane run!!!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I've only read the stories that Kurtzman provided full art for (rather than layouts), but I've been incredibly impressed so far. Even though I hadn't techincally read this stuff, I was kinda surprised by how much I'd kinda already knew the stuff by osmosis from just hanging around here and all the homages over the years. My one quibble is that those trademark EC story "twists" do grate a bit when you read story after story, but Kurtzman was excellent at making those twists seem very poignant. My favorite so far is the story of the guy building his house during the Korean War. It just really nailed the heartbreaking brutality of war.
    Kurtzman really deserves his own thread here. Maybe one day. He drove his artists MAD with his demands for realistic detail, whether he was writing war stories or hedonistic romps for Hugh Hefner.
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Agreed. Lois Lane is a very cool run to have. I second pmpknface's congrats.
    Dumb question time: I was wondering why Secret Hearts didn't have the DC logo so I looked in the price guide to see what's up. While it was published by National, it's not referred to as DC. However, the price guide listing does refer to something called "Beverly" and "Arleigh"? What the heck are those? Imprints?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2739 View Post
    Agreed. Lois Lane is a very cool run to have. I second pmpknface's congrats.
    Dumb question time: I was wondering why Secret Hearts didn't have the DC logo so I looked in the price guide to see what's up. While it was published by National, it's not referred to as DC. However, the price guide listing does refer to something called "Beverly" and "Arleigh"? What the heck are those? Imprints?
    The company that would become known as DC published under a number of names in the early days: National Allied, National Comics Publications, Superman Inc., Detective Comics Inc., etc.
    In addition there was All-American Comics which shared distribution and partial ownership with National. They published under many names too before being fully integrated after World War II.
    It really wasn't until the early 1960s that every title was combined under a single name: National Periodical Publications. The name officially became DC in the 1970s.
    DC's romance line began in 1949 with Girls' Love and Secret Hearts, Girls' Romances was added in 1950. The earliest issues had the DC logo and were published under the National Comics name. But within the first couple of years they created new sub-companies for the romance line Beverly, Arleigh, and Signal. In the late 1950s even some of DC's humor line Binky and Buzzy were published under the Arleigh name even though they had the DC logo on the cover. I suppose this was done for marketing reasons. The DC label was probably designed to target male readers, so the romance sub-print may have been created to set them apart to attract female readers. In reality though its all the same company.
    Last edited by DCIndexer; 12-14-2012 at 09:05 PM.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Slowly completing Tezuka's Buddha

and got this
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 12-14-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Thanks DCIndexer. I have to admit that I know next to nothing about romance comics, having been primarily a super-hero fan for the last 35 years. However, the covers that you and others here post from these old romance and humor books are very cool. CBG also runs an article every month by Michelle Nolan that usually covers these genres, and I've been finding that both interesting and informative.
    I never knew that DC had a separate "sub-companies" for their romance books. I always just assumed that they were DC books (published by National) with the DC logo. Thanks for the response and thank you for sparking my interest in this genre.

Brian and so is my wife thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    I did some dollar bin diving for my kids (and me) yesterday and come out with the following:

I recally these being some fun issues of the original Star Wars run, but I haven't read them in nearly 30 years (don't know what happened to my original copies). Always loved that Gene Day Boba Fett cover - my son Logan has a t-shirt with the same image.
    Early Ron Frenz stuff, yeah. Good times. It's too bad I didn't like Day's work when he was making comics. He had the bad fortune, along with Mike Zeck, of having to follow in Paul Gulacy's footsteps. I changed my mind about Zeck, but by that time Day's work was getting pretty rare. Had they followed someone like Jim Mooney or Frank Springer, I'd have been thrilled.
    "Crucifiction? Good. Out the door, line on the left, one cross each." Michael Palin in "Life of Brian"

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

While doing my general ebay search yesterday, I stumbled upon an auction I just could not pass up. Lately, Neal Adams and Batman have been my thing and well when I saw this auction for 10 assorted comics and saw the issue in the top left, I was beyond excited. I think I got a steal....$38 shipped and all! I could not believe my luck and while some of the others in the picture look rough, the Batman 251 and the Witching Hour ish look Very Good or better. Can't wait!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails batman251.jpg  

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Also added this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marvel15.jpg  

Picked these up at a small comic convention in Charlotte, NC earlier today.

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	105797
    Last edited by Dave2739; 12-16-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Default DNAgents

Well, I broke down and purchased the last three issues of DNAgents that I need. Gonna sit down next week and read both series cover to cover finally filling in the gaps. I first discovered these being a big fan of John Byrne's Next Men. I remember a lot of comparisons back when that first came out.

DNAgents (1983) #1-24

Name:	DNAgents24.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	105798

The New DNAgents (1985) #1-17

Name:	NewDNAgents1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	105799

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Well...here's a horror. One of my packages arrived and the post office decided to affix one of its stationery items...with a staple that ran through the board envelope, protective card, bag, backing board (one on each side of the comic) and half of the comic.

The sender is absolutely furious and has filed a claim...sent pics to back everything up.

There's always some idiot in the post office who can't read F-R-A-G-I-L-E and handles packages indifferently without giving a damn about what's inside.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Sounds awful. Another reason why I seldom use envelopes. I pretty much box everything. I sent off two boxes full of comics today actually. Both packed with lots of extra (thick) cardboard and securely packaged and wrapped. Too many people use envelopes with just a backing board and some thin cardboard. And as the above post, attests to, it can and does lead to damage.