Page 324 of 340 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334 ... LastLast
Results 4,846 to 4,860 of 5087

My Harvey Kurtzman Corpse on the Imjin and Other Stories arrived today. I only really know EC Comics by reputation, so I'm definitely looking forward to digging into this.

Quote Originally Posted by DCIndexer View Post
    Attachment 105549
    Another batch of old DC goodness!
    Well, I guess you gotta complete the Pat Boone run sometime. If DC never collects Rex the Wonder Dog, I am completely relying on you to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by benday-dot View Post
    Well, I guess you gotta complete the Pat Boone run sometime. If DC never collects Rex the Wonder Dog, I am completely relying on you to do it.
    That was the last Pat Boone I needed. My Rex run isn't complete yet. However, I just got the last issue of another run that I needed to complete. It hasn't arrived yet, but it should arrive by the end of the week. See below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redrover.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	105606

Nice books.
    Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by DCIndexer View Post
    That was the last Pat Boone I needed. My Rex run isn't complete yet. However, I just got the last issue of another run that I needed to complete. It hasn't arrived yet, but it should arrive by the end of the week. See below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redrover.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	105606

Ah, that's not an easy book to get from what I hear. Someday I hope to finish this run as well. Very nice!
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Brian and so is my wife thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    L.E.G.I.O.N is great until Barry Kitson leaves. Grant and Kitson's third year up to issue 40 is particularly good, and the high water mark of the series. (We get the R.E.C.R.U.I.T.S., truly worthy enemies for both Dox and Lobo, and probably the best War of the Gods crossover with Captain Marvel fighting Lobo because he's a bully.)

After Kitson leaves, it's kinda a mixed bag. Still pretty strong, but a lot of the magic is lost. Tom Peyer was doing some interesting things when the book was reconfigured into R.E.B.E.L.S., but Arnie Jorgenson was clearly still learning his craft.
    So was Kitson, though. That's why Giffen was doing his layouts. This is more about personal preference than experience. Personally, I didn't care for Kitson's work at the time. It didn't start to really look alright to me until his work on the LSH threeboot of 2004.

For L.E.G.I.O.N. he was quite the newbie, with weak faces and stiff figures, but still pretty solid. If you are a Barry Kitson fan then it's definitely a worthwhile purchase. I agree his time on the book was probably the best of the series.
    "Crucifiction? Good. Out the door, line on the left, one cross each." Michael Palin in "Life of Brian"

Kitson has form here though. Once he walked away from Azrael, that the titled really wobbled. So credit where it is due...

Apparently, well according to the editorial blurge at the time, he working 'Marvel-style' with Denny O'Neill.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    My Harvey Kurtzman Corpse on the Imjin and Other Stories arrived today. I only really know EC Comics by reputation, so I'm definitely looking forward to digging into this.
    I skimmed through it when I was at Barnes and Noble, looked very nice.

When you're done, can you tell what you thought of it.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    So was Kitson, though. That's why Giffen was doing his layouts. This is more about personal preference than experience. Personally, I didn't care for Kitson's work at the time. It didn't start to really look alright to me until his work on the LSH threeboot of 2004.

For L.E.G.I.O.N. he was quite the newbie, with weak faces and stiff figures, but still pretty solid. If you are a Barry Kitson fan then it's definitely a worthwhile purchase. I agree his time on the book was probably the best of the series.
    Giffen was off the series after the first year, and I'd argue that Kitson's strongest stuff came about 16 issues after that. I really liked Robin Smith's inks over Kitson's pencils.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 12-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    I skimmed through it when I was at Barnes and Noble, looked very nice.

When you're done, can you tell what you thought of it.
    I've only read the stories that Kurtzman provided full art for (rather than layouts), but I've been incredibly impressed so far. Even though I hadn't techincally read this stuff, I was kinda surprised by how much I'd kinda already knew the stuff by osmosis from just hanging around here and all the homages over the years. My one quibble is that those trademark EC story "twists" do grate a bit when you read story after story, but Kurtzman was excellent at making those twists seem very poignant. My favorite so far is the story of the guy building his house during the Korean War. It just really nailed the heartbreaking brutality of war.

The second half of the book is artists like John Severin, Ric Estrada, Gene Colan, Alex Toth, Russ Heath, Johnny Craig, etc. working from Kurtzman's layouts. I've flipped through some of the stories, and they all look incredible.

I went to the Christams party at my LCS last night and gave myself a $100 Christmas gift. While I was tempted at a lot of the Silver Age stuff it wasn't in the grade I wanted and so I plugged the following holes -

Conan - 126, 135, 139-141, 143, 148-152, 158, 160-161, 164-167, 170-172, 183... Linked up the first few issues of the Owsley run, I have 172-180 (his first 9 issues), but I've heard the Jones/Fleischer era is terrible.

Captain America - 223, 225, 252... Two Gerbers and a Byrne!

Daredevil - 192-194, 201-203... I read 192-194 and was blown away. Beautiful art from Klaus Janson and 192 has a poignant story about Ben Urich and his wife.

John Carter Annual 1

Fantastic Four 204 - 206, I like the Wolfman era of FF.

Thor Annual 9-11... Looks like I got a couple of Vince Colletta abominations and I'm a Colletta apologist.

All-Star Squadron 4-5- Have the first 8 issues now. I have already read 1-3 and thoroughly enjoyed them. Roy Thomas is best when working from source material.

Happy with all these purchases as I type!

Fantastic Four 204 - 206, I like the Wolfman era of FF.
    The next arc after this is one of my favorites!!! :)
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    The next arc after this is one of my favorites!!! :)
    Search for Galactus? Yup, Read it when I was a kid. Some of the first comics I ever read. Byrne-Sinnott? Wonder why I didn't grow up DC?!

204 - 217(?) I think is one long outer space adventure if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Search for Galactus? Yup, Read it when I was a kid. Some of the first comics I ever read. Byrne-Sinnott? Wonder why I didn't grow up DC?!

204 - 217(?) I think is one long outer space adventure if memory serves.
    I think it goes from like 207 - 212. I remember Reed is left in the Negative Zone with no powers in his underwear and still kicks butt. First H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot, all kinds of fun stuff. I highly recommend it!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!