Page 316 of 340 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,740 of 5087

The "Fifty Years Ago" thread emboldened an itch in me; I went seeking the Tales To Astonish shown in the link (#41) and was thrilled to find it in 5.5 for less than $60.00. That's almost 20% below guide! This book was also my first exposure to Ant-Man. A childhood friend had this one buried among a stack of Iron Man, Spider-Man, FF, Avengers, and Hulk comics circa 1974. You can imagine how laughable poor Hank appeared in that context.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29507.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	105152
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    The "Fifty Years Ago" thread emboldened an itch in me; I went seeking the Tales To Astonish shown in the link (#41) and was thrilled to find it in 5.5 for less than $60.00. That's almost 20% below guide! This book was also my first exposure to Ant-Man. A childhood friend had this one buried among a stack of Iron Man, Spider-Man, FF, Avengers, and Hulk comics circa 1974. You can imagine how laughable poor Hank appeared in that context.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29507.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	105152
    Sweeeeeettttttt..................
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Went to the local flea market today to see if there was anything cool hanging around. I was a little disappointed, as I didn't find anything particularly interesting, but I did come home with this small pile of stuff:

8 random Archie titles from the late 70's/early 80's
    New Mutants #36, 39 -- bought for the cool covers which I remember well from my youth
    Silver Star #3 -- 80's Kirby!
    What If? vol. 2 #12 -- the follow-up to the X-Men Annual #9 story about them going to Asgard. Storm fights Frog Thor on the cover!
    Power Pack #19 -- guest starring half the MU
    Official Handbook of the Conan Universe #1 -- never ever heard of this comic existing. Has a cool wraparound Kaluta cover with a yellow background. Alright!
    Spawn #1 -- high grade, probably 9.2/9.4, paid a dollar for it. Which is about a dollar more than it should be worth.

The True Story of Smokey the Bear:

And just when I thought I had seen every oddball classic title from Marvel, I found this series I had never heard of before:

Total cost for these 17 comics was $8.50, or fifty cents each.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

I see Spawn at the bookstores sometimes. Also that handbook you mentioned. Usually sitting in a big box. Markets can be a good source to find things. There was a big one (market) in a nearby state and they had thousands of comics. But only for one day was the market on.

Today I was sitting going through the Archie comic books I purchased from the bookstore last time. All of them look so good. Nice bright glossy covers and white smooth pages inside. I'm not a big fan of Archie but they do make for silly fun reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Went to the local flea market today to see if there was anything cool hanging around. I was a little disappointed, as I didn't find anything particularly interesting, but I did come home with this small pile of stuff:

Official Handbook of the Conan Universe #1 -- never ever heard of this comic existing. Has a cool wraparound Kaluta cover with a yellow background. Alright!
    There's actually a couple of versions of this floating around, each with a different cover. I know I picked up at least 2 of them because I didn't recognize the cover or thought one might be an update of the other, but aside from the covers, the content is exactly the same in both.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

The guides or handbooks are pretty cool for an overview of various series. I remember picking up some indexes for Justice League Of America. Also Teen Titans. Also last time I was at the bookstore I bought an overview of Superman which talks about the various powers/costumes and supporting cast members.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There's actually a couple of versions of this floating around, each with a different cover. I know I picked up at least 2 of them because I didn't recognize the cover or thought one might be an update of the other, but aside from the covers, the content is exactly the same in both.

-M
    According to my comic database thingy here, which I am still trying to enter all my comics into, there was a second version that came free with copies of Conan Saga #75. I assume that's the edition you're talking about.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Most likely. I found both is quarter bins at a flea market about 5-6 years ago, so I wasn't sure where the second version came from, but it had the look of an insert as it lacked an indicia and cover price.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Just decide to pick up this one:

- pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Talking

BIGGGGG PURCHASEEEE!!!! 497 COMICS!!!!!!!!!!!! Here are some of the gems!

Captain Marvel #1, 2 (rough but complete)
    Wolverine #1 (15 copies!!!) 1988 series
    Bunch of earlu Jim Lee X-Men books (#2-7)
    Spawn #6, 8
    Early TMNT issues
    V for Vendetta #1 (2 copies) and #5
    Hellblazer #1
    X-Men #136, 177
    50 some odd Batman and Spider-Man....everything from some Adams issues to some Knightfall stuff to some Mcfarlane issues to Max Carnage and Venom Lethal protector
    All Star Comics #58
    Older Scrooge comics
    Several older Superboy issues
    Marvel Spotlight #28

It is such a huge list! I have pictures...there is a good amount of stuff I not really into (80s Justice League, Doom Patrol, Superman, NAM) and some stuff have never ever heard of (Samurai, Mister X, E-Man, Shadow and others). I would post some pics but they are large and I would fill up a couple pages of the boards haha. I may need a pro tho to help me sort out some of this stuff...or to recommend what is worth reading
    Last edited by pinkfloydsound17; 12-03-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Mister X is supposed to be good stuff. I haven't actually read any of it, but I bought the Mister X Archives hardcover because some of my favorite creators have worked on that series. I'll read it eventually
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    NAM... Mister X, E-Man...
    I like these books a lot. Is it early NAM with the Michael Golden art?
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Ya there are a number of early issues of The Nam...#2-9 for sure and some others. If you are interested in doing a trade, message me and I would love to work something out once I have them in my hands