Page 232 of 340 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 5087
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Bit the bullet on eBay after I got up this morning, checked my email & saw a copy of Four Color Fear being offered for $30 Buy It Now + $4 shipping. Normally, paying what amounts to full cover price plus the 10 percent sales tax charged around here is against my religion, but (a) I've been assured here that it's well worth it & (b) I've seen that copies tend to go for quite a few bucks more than seen (bidding would've started at $20, but the last time I saw one start out cheap on eBay, a couple of weeks ago, the final amount totaled around $40), so ... yeah.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-08-2012 at 06:33 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    The ASM #97 I posted a few days ago arrived. Looked great and awesome, an easy FN/VF copy but then, while reading it, I find that back in the day someone circled some ads in pen. 4 or 5 of them...sigh. Just irks me a little. It does not hurt any of the story but I am wondering what it does to a grade?
    It certainly brings it down. At least to a VG I'd think.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Bit the bullet on eBay after I got up this morning, checked my email & saw a copy of Four Color Fear being offered for $30 Buy It Now + $4 shipping. Normally, paying what amounts to full cover price plus the 10 percent sales tax charged around here is against my religion, but (a) I've been assured here that it's well worth it & (b) I've seen that copies tend to go for quite a few bucks more than seen (bidding would've started at $20, but the last time I saw one start out cheap on eBay, a couple of weeks ago, the final amount totaled around $40), so ... yeah.
    Good stuff - is it first or second print? First print has a better cover IMO.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Agreed, but looks like the one I bought is the 2nd pirinting with the vertical title lettering; that's the image showing, & the edition description in the listing is "reprint."

Oh, well.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Have been buying some comics from a local bookstore which got in lots of old comics - mostly 1970s to current. A few sellers have offloaded their collections onto the store so there is a lot of choice. Also seems to be a lot of graphic novels and Hardcover comic books at the present.
    had kind of thought youd stopped buying comics zryson! havnt seen your posts in a while.

20% Cooler Than You Richard Bishop's Avatar

Stopped by the local Half Price Books earlier this week, not expecting too much out of the trip (I go in pretty frequently and they don't seem to turn over their comic stock very often). Leafing through the C-D section, I found a Captain America #118 (second appearance of Falcon). The cover had a store stamp (I'm assuming from the original destination, which I know is not there any more) and what appeared to be a small (1" or less) crayon squiggle, the spine was fairly rough and the lower staple was loose (as in, the cover was not attached at all). I asked the closest employee if I could open the bag and look at it; he said, "no problem", and what I found was an interior that still had relatively creamy pages, all ads were intact and there was no writing on any page. Price tag: $1.00.

So I said to the kid, "Nice price on this. When did it come in?" He told me that some guy was bringing in long and short boxes almost every second or third day, getting rid of his collection because he was moving. Then he told me he had two boxes behind the counter and I was welcome to look through them if I wanted. There was some really nice stuff in there: Amazing Spider-Man's in the low 100's, lots of Marvel western stuff like Rawhide Kid and a bunch of early Captain America issues, all in much better shape than the #118. Unfortunately, I had all of the Caps except for #128, which he sold to me for $8; the lowest I had seen, in that grade, on eBay would have cost me around $12-$14 to have shipped, so I was pretty happy.

With those two purchases, I am down to 17 issues of Captain America until I have the full run. Probably won't get deals like that on the books I need (everything between #100 and #117, except for #113), but I'm hopeful.
    "I don't hate everybody. I think I'm better than everybody. It's completely different."

Currently Hunting:
    Marvel Two-in-One #1, and Werewolf by Night #32 (at a reasonable price)

Congrats RBishop! Good luck on the Cap run. I'm trying to get from #118 up myself, but I have a stupid number of holes.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Man, when I think about how difficult it is to complete a series...I'm fortunate to have bought many of my comics when they came out. I'm missing only #1 and 4 of the Avengers v.1 and couldn't imagine tracking down the entire series now. But the fun part is the hunt.
    Life is what you make it.

Purchased some Fantagraphics Krazy & Ignatz books, they are really great actually, kind of like proto-Tom & Jerry. And they are really old!

Picked up a couple of magazines off of eBay; again...don't have a camera so I'll use other people's scans

My copy is a VF+; love that Frazetta cover

My copy is a VF+; great Adams cover.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Albany Comicon is tomorrow! These local cons aren't that interesting if you're not in a buying mood, but I've been in a back issue digging mode for a little while now. I'll report back with what classics I've picked up sometime after I've been to the con. Just letting you folks know ahead of time (besides, I wanted to express my excitement but didn't know where to do it).
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

A neighborhood LCS recently had a keg party. Since I don't want to be the asshole who drinks for free without buying something, I bought something. I settled on a somewhat worn copy of a 1995 Second Printing of Vampirella: Transcending Time & Space from the 1/2-price TPB box. It is actually more of a thick squarebound comic than a TPB, though.

This reprints seven stories from Warren' Vampirella mag of the 1970s. Art by Jose Gonzalez, stories written by T. Casey Brennan and Steve Englehart. I seem to recall corresponding with Brennan about JFK or at least reading some of his outre stuff about that situation.... and I've enjoyed what I've read of Englehart too. And I have a soft spot for non-Code stuff. I expect these stories will be pretty good and I hope I'm not let down. I don't think I've read any of this Warren Vampirella stuff before.

(BTW, the imprint for this reprint collection is "Harris Comics.")
    Pulling for: HATE!; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; Doktor Sleepless; S.H.I.E.L.D.; Sergio Aragones Funnies; The Manhattan Projects; MIND MGMT; Batman Black and White

Hi CromagnonMan; I haven't posted much over the last few months due to being busy with other things sadly. As for buying comics, I still do but I am trying to make more educated purchases and as such, have avoided purchasing much online and try to buy in person since the stores are overflowing with so much choice lately. Most of the range at the stores is 1970s-current. But sometimes I find stuff from the 1950s and 1960s too. Many of the most famous superheroes are represented from Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc. Today I bought around 60 comics. I kept about 40 of them and the rest I am giving away to charity since they continue to be popular with men women and children. Some of the comics I got today are Daredevil, Spider-Man, Alpha Flight, Hot Stuff Sizzlers, Casper, also some Batman and other DC and Marvel comic books. The stores have been overflowing with comic books, since many collectors are offloading their collections (sadly, and often not getting much for them -- one seller offloaded over 1000 comic books and got just $300 for the entire lot which I heard about).

Back from Albany Comicon! I had a good time back issue hunting and spent far more money than I probably should have. Also, such notable pros as Ron Marz and Jim Starlin were there. Anyway, without further ado, here's the list of stuff I picked up:

Beep Beep The Road Runner #37 (1973)
    Action Comics #468 (1977)
    Adventure Comics #484 (Dial H for Hero, 1981)
    The Fury of Firestorm #2 (1982)
    Flash #266 (1978)
    Ghosts #44 (1975)
    Justice League of America #178 (1980)
    Justice League of America #245 (1985)
    Justice League of America #254 (1986)
    Kamandi #21 (1974)
    The Outsiders #1 (1985)
    Rima: The Jungle Girl #1 (1974)
    Steel, The Indestructible Man #1 (1978)
    Black Goliath #2 (1976)
    Marvel Premiere #47 (Ant-Man II, 1979)
    Marvel Premiere #48 (Ant-Man II, 1979)
    The Eternals #9 (1976)
    The Invaders #34 (1978)
    Marvel Spotlight #10 (Captain Universe, 1981)

I know people may not consider such a random assortment of comics "classics" exactly, but I think I got some good stuff. First appearance of Scott Lang. First Rima (I was feeling a bit Super Friends-y). And hey, between Kamandi and Eternals I got some Kirby in there. Maybe I could have looked at some more of the smaller publishers, but there's always next year.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Went to a local show in NJ and picked up some fair to poor copies of the following:
    Hulk 176 Captain Marvel 4

Adventure 356 Lois Lane 57 Spectre 5

Flash 178

They all had gashes in the front covers. I bought all 6 for 5 bucks. just for reading purposes.
    Life is what you make it.