Page 123 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 1866
  1. #1831
    Nyah! Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI/Millennium City MI
    Posts
    33,386

    Default

    I think they were in favor, no? I'm certain at this point that, no, President Obama will not be "taken to task" for killing Bin Laden. It would have been done by now. Bin Laden wasn't a head of state like Castro. Bin Laden was a criminal.
    'Dox out.

    "But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

    "Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

    "And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega


    Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

  2. #1832
    Elder Member king mob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    22,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Just wondering how the International community regards the US President subscribing to assassination by the state?
    Mainly by turning the other way.

  3. #1833
    Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,800

    Default

    I feel like this thread should be bumped every few weeks or so, Chevy Chase style. Because when it reappears, I hear him say, "Osama bin Laden is still dead."

    Of course, after Democratic pundits can stop saying it to remind us the administration did it after the election, it will likely be more of something to chuckle about, rather than an achievement of the Obama White House.

    CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

    X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

  4. #1834
    TROLL KILLA Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I feel like this thread should be bumped every few weeks or so, Chevy Chase style. Because when it reappears, I hear him say, "Osama bin Laden is still dead."

    Of course, after Democratic pundits can stop saying it to remind us the administration did it after the election, it will likely be more of something to chuckle about, rather than an achievement of the Obama White House.
    Are you saying it wasn't an achievement?
    Brother Chaos Bringer

    Professional TROLL killer

    Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

  5. #1835
    Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Are you saying it wasn't an achievement?
    Oh, hell, it absolutely WAS. It was a bold decision by the president to go into another country's sovereign nation to assassinate a terrorist leader, and it was masterfully executed by our armed forces, after years of superlative work by our intelligence community.

    What I'm saying is, in about three days, we'll be able to talk about with far less partisan sniping that wouldn't allow some to admit that, because of their political narrative.

    CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

    X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

  6. #1836
    Elder Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    25,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Mainly by turning the other way.
    If Kennedy was successful in killing Castro, would the Russians have been justified in assassinating Kennedy? Or because the Russians knew about the plot to kill Castro, assassinating the US president was allowable?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

  7. #1837
    MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    14,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    If Kennedy was successful in killing Castro, would the Russians have been justified in assassinating Kennedy? Or because the Russians knew about the plot to kill Castro, assassinating the US president was allowable?
    Osama bin Laden is nothing like Castro.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  8. #1838
    Senior Member finfangfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire, US
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    In their own minds perhaps, assuming they thought there'd be no way to follow it back to them. After all, this was the height of the Cold War and a direct link to the USSR and Kennedy's assassination could have led to a nuclear retaliation. Probably wouldn't, but if you're standing in their shoes would you have wanted to risk it?

    Just look at the horrible stuff we know about that the CIA has done, I'm not as familiar with what the Russians did but I'm sure it's equally horrible, so the bar for justifiable action was probably pretty low (as in, "do we want to do this" being the standard).

    A better comparison would be something like a member of organized crime in this country ordering an attack on a foreign country that resulted in mass casualties, and whether that country would be justified in entering our country to apprehend them without our OK. I'd say no, the government obviously would say no, but the government and people of that country would probably disagree.
    A Fool for the Foom

  9. #1839
    TROLL KILLA Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Oh, hell, it absolutely WAS. It was a bold decision by the president to go into another country's sovereign nation to assassinate a terrorist leader, and it was masterfully executed by our armed forces, after years of superlative work by our intelligence community.

    What I'm saying is, in about three days, we'll be able to talk about with far less partisan sniping that wouldn't allow some to admit that, because of their political narrative.
    Thanks for breaking it down.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

    Professional TROLL killer

    Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

  10. #1840
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Just wondering, would the world court have taken Kennedy to the Hague if he successfully assassinated Castro? Is there any question that Obama will be taken to task for assassinating Bin Laden? Just wondering how the International community regards the US President subscribing to assassination by the state?

    are you freaking joking with this?


  11. #1841
    Elder Member Charles RB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    35,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Just wondering, would the world court have taken Kennedy to the Hague if he successfully assassinated Castro?
    Castro was a head of state in peacetime, and one allied to a nuclear power. Bin Laden was a terrorist leader that everyone hated.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

  12. #1842
    for the lulz 7thangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

    What I'm saying is, in about three days, we'll be able to talk about with far less partisan sniping that wouldn't allow some to admit that, because of their political narrative.
    3 centuries isn't going to change most of the minds. they will not start admitting or recognizing if they lose, nothing will burst that epistemic closure bubble. it's nice to think that it will though

  13. #1843
    Elder Member mikekerrIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    23,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Just wondering, would the world court have taken Kennedy to the Hague if he successfully assassinated Castro? Is there any question that Obama will be taken to task for assassinating Bin Laden? Just wondering how the International community regards the US President subscribing to assassination by the state?
    It i really simple, the Hague won't touch a US president or a former president. It simply doesn't have the power to do so.

    I really doubt that the international community breaths anything but sigh of relief at the death of Bin Laden who was a criminal gang leader not a head of state
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

  14. #1844
    Elder Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    25,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    It i really simple, the Hague won't touch a US president or a former president. It simply doesn't have the power to do so.

    I really doubt that the international community breaths anything but sigh of relief at the death of Bin Laden who was a criminal gang leader not a head of state
    Then the flip side of that coin that Kennedy and Obama used is that other countries, or extremists, can have open season on any US President?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

  15. #1845
    Elder Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    25,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finfangfool View Post
    In their own minds perhaps, assuming they thought there'd be no way to follow it back to them. After all, this was the height of the Cold War and a direct link to the USSR and Kennedy's assassination could have led to a nuclear retaliation. Probably wouldn't, but if you're standing in their shoes would you have wanted to risk it?

    Just look at the horrible stuff we know about that the CIA has done, I'm not as familiar with what the Russians did but I'm sure it's equally horrible, so the bar for justifiable action was probably pretty low (as in, "do we want to do this" being the standard).

    A better comparison would be something like a member of organized crime in this country ordering an attack on a foreign country that resulted in mass casualties, and whether that country would be justified in entering our country to apprehend them without our OK. I'd say no, the government obviously would say no, but the government and people of that country would probably disagree.
    They killed Kennedy. There was no nuclear retaliation on the USSR.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •